Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Sale Return 'Home'

Post by kk20gb30 »

An interesting move , would assume more than heritage :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... r-53008776
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sale Return 'Home'

Post by ads »

I live in just outside of Leeds next to a small train station, so could easily get to Heywood Road on the train. Which was great for a few beers during and after the game as Sale is a nice place so has some nice pubs.
Stockport was awful, and I havent been to the AJBell, but this one sounds like its gonna be another souless out of town place like so many now....
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The AJB is actually quite a nice stadium the facilities around are a bit limited but better than some grounds, being where it is means there is a shortage of local pubs and coffee shops but it is far far superior to Stockport. Heywood Rd was unfortunately impossible to develop into a Premiership ground. Personally I don't like the sound of the proposed new venue, I get the feeling that there will be too much space required therefore miles out of town, too much usage for different sports and the answer might well be another artificial pitch and I don't like them.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

The proposed site 1.5 miles from the old Heywood Road ground. It is about equal distance probably from Sale town centre than the old ground.

It is very close to the Dane Road Metro link station.

Depending upon how much/if any of the woodland is involved in the site, the site is between 10 and 12 hectares. There is also a concrete floors place next that may well be part of the site. Sale's current stadium takes up around 3 hectares of land. A similar footprint could leave lots of space for the athletics club and football sides currently using the site, though not as much as they have now obviously.

Share the concern over a plastic pitch, but think it is unlikely the main pitch would be used for community stuff so hopefully a re-enforced grass one like we have, or Exeter have, will be used.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Clearly this is at a very early stage. Assuming it goes ahead we are probably looking 5-10 years before the stadium is complete and they may well look to add something like a hotel and conference facilities to make it a destination.

Time will tell.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Not universally popular , it seems :
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/double-b ... ses-anger/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:39 am Not universally popular , it seems :
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/double-b ... ses-anger/
When was the last time a planning application was made and not objected to? When was the last time that a large planning application didn't "cause anger"?

People like something to get angry about, a cause to believe in. It makes them feel like they're standing up to The Man, it makes them feel important.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Sale now offer a bid for AJ Bell stadium:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/report-s ... l-stadium/
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Having apparently signed a 25 year lease when abandoning plans to build their own stadium in Trafford last September Sale Rugby are (according to The Rugby Paper , August 22 ) teaming with Salford City F.C. to buy the AJ Bell stadium outright.Current co- tenants Salford City Reds are set to move to the Moor Lane Football Ground (current home of Salford City F.C) in 2023 leaving the Sharks and Gary Neville's Salford City a clear route to securing the AJ Bell.
The Rugby Paper believes that a deal could be completed and announced prior to the start of the Gallagher Premiership season on Sept 17.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

After consultation Trafford Council withdrew its support and the land has now been secured for its current use for the next 25 years

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-20237210
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

That first post quotes Steve Diamond as DOR, have I missed something, I thought he left Sale?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:30 pm That first post quotes Steve Diamond as DOR, have I missed something, I thought he left Sale?
That was back in June…it is the BBC….behind the times at times!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:33 pm
LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:30 pm That first post quotes Steve Diamond as DOR, have I missed something, I thought he left Sale?
That was back in June…it is the BBC….behind the times at times!
:smt002
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

It was from June 2020
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Indeed. The BBC story was rehashed without looking at the date. Easily done.

The club still have ambitions which is a good thing but at this time purchase and development of their current ground seems most likely.