Season Tickets

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Season Tickets

Post by johnthegriff »

I have experience of the Crumbie and of the Holland & Barrett stand and much prefer the Crumbie and indeed as Wormus says the higher intellectual level of Block Q.
It is a shame and unforgivable that anyone should suffer abuse at a Tigers or any other match but on the basis that there are two sides to most disagreements I ask what was the reason for the abuse? Was it entirely unprovoked or was some reason given, I have to confess that I have expressed my feelings when someone in a seat stands blocking my view of the game or REPEATABLY squeezes past to get drinks or returning with them or on the way down the aisle during play stops to watch the action whilst preventing me from seeing it. A difference of opinion over the action is fine and actually an enjoyable part of live sport we all see things differently and should be free to express our thoughts.
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

I'm saddened that someone's had an experience of bad behaviour in the Crumbie (& that the stewards asked THEM to move, not the perpetrators!).

If the OP is still reading, I'll speak up for the old stand: we've been there since we bought our STs, which was ... a long time ago. We sit in amongst supporters with whom we've become friends, exchanging the craic (& boiled sweets) & don't want to be anywhere else.

As for abusive behaviour: I've never encountered it directly, though earlier this season something happened a short distance away that had the stewards clustering. We were craning our necks to see what was going on!

Bad language: never. Oh, there are cries of "rubbish", "idiots" and "wake up Leicester": I've done them. But then I've cheered & bellowed "TIGERS!" so loud & so much I've lost my voice the next day (Tigers 22 Boks 17: oh, what a beautiful noise!).

The Crumbie may be crumbly, but the atmosphere is brill & it's nice & cosy on a cold day! I hope we'll see you there.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:36 am I have experience of the Crumbie and of the Holland & Barrett stand and much prefer the Crumbie and indeed as Wormus says the higher intellectual level of Block Q.
It is a shame and unforgivable that anyone should suffer abuse at a Tigers or any other match but on the basis that there are two sides to most disagreements I ask what was the reason for the abuse? Was it entirely unprovoked or was some reason given, I have to confess that I have expressed my feelings when someone in a seat stands blocking my view of the game or REPEATABLY squeezes past to get drinks or returning with them or on the way down the aisle during play stops to watch the action whilst preventing me from seeing it. A difference of opinion over the action is fine and actually an enjoyable part of live sport we all see things differently and should be free to express our thoughts.

I went with my family to watch the Tigers vs Wasps semi at the ricoh a number of seasons ago. I never said a dickie bird to the 3 wasps supporters in front of me for the whole time I as there but that did not stop them deliberately waving their free large wasps flags right in my face for the whole 90mins and dripping beer all over me.

Did that result in me abusing them? No depite their extreme and prolonged provocation, I ignored them !!

All abuse is totally unacceptable and in the case of my daughter and son in law it was entirely unprovoked and frankly dispicable. I am very disappointed that any supporter would seek to condone and excuse the abuse of anyone by suggesting that it was somehow legitimate because it may have been a disagreement and provoked.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am not excusing the behaviour of the abusers, there is no excuse, I was just enquiring if there was more to the story. I sympathise with you on your experience at Wasps I have been to all Premiership and most European grounds and have rarely had a problem but on most occasions when there has been an issue other home fans have stepped in on my behalf. My last visit to Harlequins was spoilt by two idiots who started by calling a lady Tiger's supporter in her seventies a middle class midlander whilst deliberately blocking her view of the game, when male Tiger's supporters also in their seventies remonstrated with them they complained to stewards who actually took no action. An incident at Bath resulted in a Bath steward apologising for that supporter, at Gloucester and in Llanelli at Strady Park the home supporters dealt with the fan who was letting them down. At the Liberty Stadium Swansea some home fans were extremely unpleasant throughout the game, fortunately a late Danny Hipkis try answered them and they were not around at the end of the match. After our last Premiership Final win at Twickenham some Northampton supporters were extremely unpleasant to a middle aged lady as she walked back to the coach park.
At all grounds there is the chance of an idiot, it is unusual but sometimes it happens, there is no excuse and I am ashamed when it happens at the Tigers, I am even more shocked that it should happen in the Crumbie the very home of true rugby values which is why I wondered if there was an incident that triggered of the unacceptable abuse.
glenn

Post by glenn »

[quote=wormus post_id=743524 time=1592071795 user_id=169]
[quote=CJ post_id=743493 time=1591988506 user_id=2729]
I’ve always been in the Crumbie and I love it. When we were offered the chance to move to the new stand, I thought about it but then I thought Hmm, faces south, sun in your face in the early and late season, unless you sit well back.

Crumbie for me every time. And think of the history - the stand is 100 years old in October this year
[/quote]

Exactly, there is a very high IQ level in Block Q and the friendly atmosphere and banter cannot be missed.
We even have fellow season ticket members bringing in mince pies and seasonal goodies.
Cannot wait for the restart, hoping that none of our crowd will be covid missing. :smt023 :smt027
[/quote]
My dad sits there withmy uncle, I get a ticket occasionally when I can to sit there but due to working weekend's i struggle. There's always food and snacks being passed around there!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There’s plenty of noise in Crumbie. Offensive language is rare in my experience. There may rarely be the odd rude word expressed in frustration but is spite of our poor form of the past few seasons that remains rare.

Occasionally you get the odd case of unwanted tickets sold for some of the bigger games behaving like football oiks of the 1970s.

On occasion I have had the benefit of the odd hospitality invite and sat in all of the other stands but the atmosphere doesn’t come close. (I coped with the free food and drinks :smt002 )
I hope they don’t rebuild the Crumbie any time soon as concrete and plastic doesn’t generate the same foot stomping atmosphere.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I must admit that the only 2 times I’ve had any minor issues have been in the Crumbie. On both occasions these were gentlemen of a certain generation who at the end of the match, were happy to stay in their seats and chat, and pack their rugs and seat cushion away, but were a little rude when asked to excuse me so that those that wanted to exit quicker could.

These would be the same people that go shopping with their wives and manage to block the whole aisle.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm I must admit that the only 2 times I’ve had any minor issues have been in the Crumbie. On both occasions these were gentlemen of a certain generation who at the end of the match, were happy to stay in their seats and chat, and pack their rugs and seat cushion away, but were a little rude when asked to excuse me so that those that wanted to exit quicker could.

These would be the same people that go shopping with their wives and manage to block the whole aisle.
Maybe they ain't got wives and go shopping together. :smt047
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

A few seasons ago, me and my son were on the receiving end of some abuse from a chap sat behind us. I'm assuming that he and his family sat with him were also season ticket holders as they were always there. This was in the big stand, Caterpillar/Holland and Barrett.
What should have been banter turned into full on abuse and my self restraint kept it from escalating. The chap in question constantly criticised loudly the team whether winning, losing or draw. I simply suggested he should support the team going through a rough patch. My son agreed with me and at that point he let fly at him, saying that he shouldn't speak to him and he clearly didn't go to private school as he showed no respect for his elders! Then he questioned what I did for a living having said that he was a partner in a law firm. I asked him what it had to do with him. I was absolutely fuming! My son's schooling and my career had the square root of b*gger all to do with him.
Me and my son will support Tigers through thick and thin, we can be disappointed when they lose but there is always the next game.
I emailed the Ticket Office when I arrived home and I received an email back and a call from them first thing on the Monday morning. They apologised on behalf of the club and we were offered seats at the other end of the stand, we were previously around the 22 at the Welford Road end and now we are around the 22 at the Aylestone Road end. Whilst we would have preferred the idiot behind us to have been returned to and confined to his village, our new seats are preferred.
Just goes to show there are some undesirable characters in various parts of the ground.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:53 pm These would be the same people that go shopping with their wives and manage to block the whole aisle.
Don’t get me started. Worse than traffic wardens, estate agents and fake vicars.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Getting this back on topic a little bit. I saw in the Brumbies match that they had allowed 1500 spectators in with very obvious social distancing.
I have no idea how their ticketing normally works, season tickets etc, but could possibly be something premiership rugby will look at.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I wonder on what basis the chosen few would be selected? It is a shame those imbeciles referred to by Wirral Exile and others can't be excluded, I guess more cameras and stewards might help.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RichieB wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:49 am I wonder on what basis the chosen few would be selected? It is a shame those imbeciles referred to by Wirral Exile and others can't be excluded, I guess more cameras and stewards might help.
I imagine that it would depend on the government giving the go ahead first.
A suggestion might be, that if there were 4 games to be played, with 12000 season ticket holders, 3000 for each game, would be allocated a designated seat, or area on the terrace, for that one match. It probably won’t be where they normally are, and there won’t be any catering outlets open, to reduce people moving around, but I’m sure fans can cope without a pint a a balti pie for one game
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:59 am
RichieB wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:49 am I wonder on what basis the chosen few would be selected? It is a shame those imbeciles referred to by Wirral Exile and others can't be excluded, I guess more cameras and stewards might help.
I imagine that it would depend on the government giving the go ahead first.
A suggestion might be, that if there were 4 games to be played, with 12000 season ticket holders, 3000 for each game, would be allocated a designated seat, or area on the terrace, for that one match. It probably won’t be where they normally are, and there won’t be any catering outlets open, to reduce people moving around, but I’m sure fans can cope without a pint a a balti pie for one game
Speak for yourself I'll be smuggling my pint in if the bars are shut... :smt030
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Hope you’ve got a big thermos Steve.