Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

World Calendar seems closer

Post by trendylfj »

https://rugby365.com/countries/argentin ... -revealed/

If this comes into force (as seems likely from this interview) - what do people think???
Hehehehehehehehe
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: World calancer seems closer

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I think aligning the reasonably well supported, occasionally commercially viable northern hemisphere calendar with the empty stadiums of SH rugby is a brilliant idea...

Looking forward to the winter months with nothing to do or look forward to at weekends.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

As a cricketer, albeit in my later years, I think it's a horrendous idea. Will playing games in the sunshine bring more people to games consistently? I doubt it.

I'd also like my two young lads to have the opportunity to play the two sports which I love, as the grassroots game needs to be considered too.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Money and survival.Sport as a whole will be casting around in an effort to fill the financial void left by Covid -19.From purely the point of view of a fan i see any return as a good thing.After what has occurred and is occurring 'normal' and ''traditional' simply do not apply - at least for the foreseeable future.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:09 am Money and survival.Sport as a whole will be casting around in an effort to fill the financial void left by Covid -19.From purely the point of view of a fan i see any return as a good thing.After what has occurred and is occurring 'normal' and ''traditional' simply do not apply - at least for the foreseeable future.
I can’t see how this is necessarily going to benefit our game (as in English domestic rugby). Who is the change meant to be benefitting?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: World Calendar seems closer

Post by JP14 »

The calendar is a mess and needs aligning, using the old adage “rugby league is a summer sport so the answer is no”, is a poor excuse.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As a season ticket holder and as one who regards Rugby as a winter sport that does not interfere with my summer holidays and weekend breaks or dog sitting for my family whilst they take their holidays I can say quite categorically that I will give up my season ticket if this happens. If others feel the same I suggest that they let their clubs know before they agree to what I think will be a disaster for the club game.
This whole globalisation of the rugby season is being driven by the Unions who are considering only the international calender and frankly I don't care about that as I can rarely afford to attend those matches and watching on TV I can do anytime of the year.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

:smt023 johnthegriff and longlivethecrumbie :smt023

(It really is time we had a 'like' button on here!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:34 am :smt023 johnthegriff and longlivethecrumbie :smt023

(It really is time we had a 'like' button on here!)
Is there anybody we know who has the technical know how to set up one of those petition-thingy pages that allows people to vote/support and link to other clubs fora or some facebook page via a link to get the message around. It could be powerful if there were alot of people from many clubs saying they dont want a move to summer rugby. I am afraid I was very pleased when I managed to get on to, and write on, this forum, such is my technical IT skillset. Apart from points already made, I bought a heavy duty winter coat for this season specifically for going to WR which is brilliant in the wet and cold; any changes to the rugby calendar will severely limit its use, albeit I realise that is first world problem.
As Good As It Gets
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I think that the potential negative impacts on the English club game do need serious consideration.
Easter, Whitsun week and July/August are peak holiday times for much of the younger generation and families.
My retired Father in law is a season ticket holder and he always goes away in January and June, missing a match in January he can live with but I'm not sure he'd accept missing matches in both January and June.
May/June is exam season, certainly the mini/junior/youth season could not happen at this time.
After years of winter play uneven grassroots pitches here would need immediate investment to make safe otherwise we could likely see a big increase ankle, knee and hip joint injuries.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I suspect that like many Tigers fans I follow other sports as well including athletics and cricket although rugby is my first love. This gives me the opportunity to go to athletic meets and test matches during rugby’s Close season.
Whist I agree that changes are needed to avoid Tigers matches clashing with the six nations/autumn internationals, this latest idea is driven by money and takes no account of player welfare or premiership teams supporters.
Like John the griff I have been a season ticket holder for many years but moving the season to the summer would probably mean me picking and choosing the games the Tigers games that I could attend and giving up my season ticket.
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A World calendar does not necessarily mean the season for the youth/minis or below Division 2 need to start playing in the Summer, I'm sure they can keep the old season without it affecting them too negatively.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I played a good standard of both cricket and rugby and always finished the season in the sport I was playing. So at the end of summer finished the cricket season and started being available to play Saturday rugby. Like so many sports, money talks and for the most part is the number 1 driver for the running of the international game. Every time someone high up comments they make reference to AI, 6 nations, summer tours first, and then go on to talk about "the club game". I am convinced that this will come into being in the form suggested in the article and the clubs will just have to like it or lump it. The club game will survive and we will become used to it but I for one will take some time to like it.
Hehehehehehehehe
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

https://www.planetrugby.com/loose-pass- ... nnovation/

Another view on the likely hood of change
Hehehehehehehehe
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

The beauty of rugby union is that in its present set up September to May, a variety of skills can be displayed to win matches: in general, dry pitches in September/ most of October and April/May then a mixture of weather conditions in the middle part of the season.
I agree also with many that Tigers will lose quite a few season ticket holders because there are too many other things to do in the Summer.
As for the rugby players in the lower levels being able to watch matches over the Summer: I’m not sure. Many rugby players play cricket, tennis etc during the Summer so most likely won’t come along.
Then in this country you have village festivals, Caribbean festivals, school fetes etc all at the weekends!
Lastly, how will clubs like Tigers fill their corporate boxes in the “Summer Season” when there is more competition for corporate evens from horse racing, golf, cricket, concerts etc.
Oh yes, and some say look at Rugby League: well they had nothing to lose: poor attendances in the Winter but still not much better after the change.

Yes, I’m biased. Keep the season the same for me.

Oh yes. And think of the cost of flights to European Games if the season changed to the Summer months!!