Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Steve Borthwick

Post by wellstiger »

July 1st -
SB and his coaching team will be in charge of a quite different squad of players. They will be putting their stamp on things.
Every player will have to buy into SB style. As we have heard the process has started to get us back to the top. How long that will take will depend on how well he is received.
He has ability, he has learned his craft and has a hard nose approach. That suits me.
Any coach will pick a bit of knowledge from his peers and mould that into his kit bag. So what is wrong with that.

My worry is - We get SB doing a great job for say two seasons EJ retires and who fills the void? SB ? and who does he pick as his coaching team?
Do we start from scratch again?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

wellstiger wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:34 pm July 1st -
SB and his coaching team will be in charge of a quite different squad of players. They will be putting their stamp on things.
Every player will have to buy into SB style. As we have heard the process has started to get us back to the top. How long that will take will depend on how well he is received.
He has ability, he has learned his craft and has a hard nose approach. That suits me.
Any coach will pick a bit of knowledge from his peers and mould that into his kit bag. So what is wrong with that.

My worry is - We get SB doing a great job for say two seasons EJ retires and who fills the void? SB ? and who does he pick as his coaching team?
But surely that is the same in all walks of life, you can’t employ someone wanting them to be ok and consistent, you look to employ the best to will achieve the best results, if that means they move on there isn’t a lot you can do.
I’m sure you’re not suggesting that we shouldn’t employ him in case he becomes too successful and then looks to move to bigger and better things.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Eddie signed a new deal for the 2023 RWC.
I would be amazed if he retires before then.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hopefully tigers have got Borthwick tied up to a long term deal
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I didn’t know Sam Burgess was joining our coaching team? :smt046
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:08 pm

I didn’t know Sam Burgess was joining our coaching team? :smt046
Presumably Assistant Defence Coach :smt002
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:47 pm Hopefully tigers have got Borthwick tied up to a long term deal
He might be a disaster...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:23 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:47 pm Hopefully tigers have got Borthwick tied up to a long term deal
I think you might find there is a clash with some if he is half the disciplinarian that Cockers was, and I suspect he is out of the same mould.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:27 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:23 pm
I think you might find there is a clash with some if he is half the disciplinarian that Cockers was, and I suspect he is out of the same mould.
That is probably what's needed, but who will win the players have been for a long time.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I suspect the board are fed up of the downturn and I would imagine the player's influence has slipped somewhat because of that. The England quintet of Dan Cole, Manu Tuilagi, Ben Youngs, George Ford & Ellis Genge have all been coached by him at England level and I thought those players held a lot of the cards as the senior players on the biggest wages and are current internationals (okay Cole isn't but it's only been really recently has he not been selected) so I predict in this regard we will be fine.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 pm I suspect the board are fed up of the downturn and I would imagine the player's influence has slipped somewhat because of that. The England quintet of Dan Cole, Manu Tuilagi, Ben Youngs, George Ford & Ellis Genge have all been coached by him at England level and I thought those players held a lot of the cards as the senior players on the biggest wages and are current internationals (okay Cole isn't but it's only been really recently has he not been selected) so I predict in this regard we will be fine.
Unprompted, Ellis told me Steve Borthwick was the best coach he's ever had - which is encouraging!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
MrG2

Post by MrG2 »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:07 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:44 pm I suspect the board are fed up of the downturn and I would imagine the player's influence has slipped somewhat because of that. The England quintet of Dan Cole, Manu Tuilagi, Ben Youngs, George Ford & Ellis Genge have all been coached by him at England level and I thought those players held a lot of the cards as the senior players on the biggest wages and are current internationals (okay Cole isn't but it's only been really recently has he not been selected) so I predict in this regard we will be fine.
Unprompted, Ellis told me Steve Borthwick was the best coach he's ever had - which is encouraging!
Very encouraging :smt023 :smt023
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Ellis is hardly going to say anything else about an England coach if he wants to keep his place in the squad, I’m sure a lot of Tigers players will say the the same when he starts his coaching duties with us as they will want to keep him onside.
Let’s wait and see if there is any improvement in our results with Borthwicks training, hopefully the only way is up after the last couple of years of Murphys tenure.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

July 1st is fast approaching - it has seemed a long wait.Hopefully though , worth the wait.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:07 pm
The same as what Ben Youngs said too