Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Steve Borthwick

Post by westwinds31 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:02 pm
sapajo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm
ourla wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 pm Borthwick and Murphy seem like chalk and cheese to me.

I am not sure Murphy has the metal to be a Head Coach.

I wonder how they do/will get on.
Your right he never had the metal to be Head Coach that's why he was replaced by Borthenstein and then he was promoted to Director of Rugby for his ineptitude.

As long as Murphy does not pick the starting XV as he has said he will then we stand a chance.
Well that’s unfortunate for you then as like you say, Murphy will pick the team.
As Head coach, being with the squad at pretty much every training session, knowing how they tick and having a well known attention to detail, you’d be annoyed if you had a starting 15 in mind and your DoR picked a few different players.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Murphy wont pick the team surely! I expect his role will be buffer between coaching team and BOD. I'd very,very surprised if Borthwick has come in without final say on 23 and tactics etc
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

If Smurf is intending to pick the 23, I hope he has a change of heart. Steve should train, direct, pick and play the matchday squad - and should know that, like the players, he has no-one to hide behind.

If Smurf doesn't like the way the Head Coach is doing things - he can always replace him.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I agree straw,this is worrying me now! The whole point of SB coming in was the dogs dinner Murphy was serving up,let Borthers have full control,no meddling!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Around the time that SB was announced, Murphy did say that as DoR he would have the final say on selection. I hope that's more a case of SB picking the team and Murphy giving approval or having input as to whether young player X might need some game time or whatever. However, it did seem clear, if Murphy wants a name on or off the team sheet - it will happen.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not good then! How can SB put his stamp on the team if he cant pick the players he wants?!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:52 pm Not good then! How can SB put his stamp on the team if he cant pick the players he wants?!
He and Murphy will have a vision of how they want to play. Borthwick will then implement that into training sessions which he will run and then Murphy will pick the match day squad with input from Borthwick. That’s the impression I got from Murphy’s interview.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:52 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:52 pm Not good then! How can SB put his stamp on the team if he cant pick the players he wants?!
He and Murphy will have a vision of how they want to play. Borthwick will then implement that into training sessions which he will run and then Murphy will pick the match day squad with input from Borthwick. That’s the impression I got from Murphy’s interview.

That is how I heard it would be....a partnership.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Murphy is the DOR so as with all chains of command his is the ultimate call, but what realistically will Borthwick do if Murphy starts meddling too much, it’ll be bye I’ve got plenty of other offers.

As for posters saying that it is worrying them, firstly no idea how it’s going to work exactly yet not even those 2, it’s a developing relationship, secondly if that’s worrying you, you maybe need to look at the bigger picture in the world.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yeah,I heard the plague has made a reappearance 😜
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:17 pm As for posters saying that it is worrying them, firstly no idea how it’s going to work exactly yet not even those 2, it’s a developing relationship
I hope the first part of that sentence isn't true. For sure you can never be 100% sure how it will work and it will develop over time but it's not a blind date. I would hope there have been plenty of conversations about roles and responsibilities, philosophies, plans.
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:17 pmsecondly if that’s worrying you, you maybe need to look at the bigger picture in the world.
It's just a discussion on a fans chat forum. I don't think anyone is reaching for the valium and brandy quite yet.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ourla wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:17 pm As for posters saying that it is worrying them, firstly no idea how it’s going to work exactly yet not even those 2, it’s a developing relationship
I hope the first part of that sentence isn't true. For sure you can never be 100% sure how it will work and it will develop over time but it's not a blind date. I would hope there have been plenty of conversations about roles and responsibilities, philosophies, plans.
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:17 pmsecondly if that’s worrying you, you maybe need to look at the bigger picture in the world.
It's just a discussion on a fans chat forum. I don't think anyone is reaching for the valium and brandy quite yet.
I used the term exactly, like any relationship it will develop over time, but they have officially only been working together since July 1st both in new roles.
As for your 2nd point have you read some of the posts on here, talk about don’t panic Captain Mainwaring
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:19 pm Yeah,I heard the plague has made a reappearance 😜
Yes just seen it on the BBC apparently found on Saturday whilst digging in a car park in the City.
Even more grounds for complaint! :smt031
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Murphy has said that he will be picking the team - although that was earlier in the season, long before Borthwick arrived. I'm not aware of Borthwick being part of that statement on Radio Leicester!

I would hope the two will work together but if push comes to shove why would an expericed international coach defer to a less experienced coach who has been moved to DOR because he was clearly out of his depth as a head coach at this level?
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I see positivity still abounds through this forum :hammer:

My two penneth is it sounds to be more on the lines of Stuart Lancaster and Leo Cullen rebuilding Leinster post Matt O’Conner (that name again). I recall that Leo Cullen initially struggled but used the opportunity to bring on the youngsters and build a first class coaching team that doesn’t seem to have turned out too bad. Sound familiar?

And the motivation for Steve seems obvious. Making Leicester successful again would make him a prime candidate for England Head Coach.

So sorry to disappoint the positivity hoovers on here but I can’t see what is going on being anything other than extremely exciting.

Handing the forum back to the naysayers.......