Steve Borthwick

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: Steve Borthwick

Post by Mark62 »

Interesting how he talked about Aled Walters, and his ability to get that bit extra out of a player, when they don’t think they have any more to give. That’s what separates the great coaches from the good coaches.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:01 am Interesting how he talked about Aled Walters, and his ability to get that bit extra out of a player, when they don’t think they have any more to give. That’s what separates the great coaches from the good coaches.
I know I've mentioned it before but one of the most perceptive quotes I've ever heard in this area - 'elite coaches are paid to win the games they should lose, not the games they should win'. Similar to SB's observation about AW.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

chipnchase wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:46 pm Only thing I didn’t get was why did the camera angle keep changing? :smt005 :smt005
Editing
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:13 am
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:01 am Interesting how he talked about Aled Walters, and his ability to get that bit extra out of a player, when they don’t think they have any more to give. That’s what separates the great coaches from the good coaches.
I know I've mentioned it before but one of the most perceptive quotes I've ever heard in this area - 'elite coaches are paid to win the games they should lose, not the games they should win'. Similar to SB's observation about AW.
Reminded me of McGeechan - and I'm going to get the quote wrong, of course - "the bit you give when you thought you had nothing left to give - that's what makes you a Lion" (or, maybe, a Tiger!)
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Lions /Tigers - I am now hearing a growl -------I want to hear the roar......( Sorry Katie ) :smt023
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Borthwick and Murphy seem like chalk and cheese to me.

I am not sure Murphy has the metal to be a Head Coach.

I wonder how they do/will get on.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

ourla wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 pm Borthwick and Murphy seem like chalk and cheese to me.

Murphy is not the head coach. He is D.O.R. You will often find the head coach and d.o.r. are differing personalities.
A2O
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

ourla wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:42 pm Borthwick and Murphy seem like chalk and cheese to me.

Your right he never had the metal to be Head Coach that's why he was replaced by Borthenstein and then he was promoted to Director of Rugby for his ineptitude.

As long as Murphy does not pick the starting XV as he has said he will then we stand a chance.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
billhemsley
Tiger Cub

Post by billhemsley »

[Reminded me of McGeechan - and I'm going to get the quote wrong, of course - "the bit you give when you thought you had nothing left to give - that's what makes you a Lion" (or, maybe, a Tiger!)]

I don't post on here much but the quote above reminded me of a line from Kipling's "If" - "If you can force your heart, and nerve, and sinew to serve your turn long after they are gone; and so hold on, when there is nothing in you, except the will which says to them "Hold on!"" Sums up the required spirit for me.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:05 am
chipnchase wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:46 pm Only thing I didn’t get was why did the camera angle keep changing? :smt005 :smt005
Editing
It depended which hand was forming a fist :smt043
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

billhemsley wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:25 pm [Reminded me of McGeechan - and I'm going to get the quote wrong, of course - "the bit you give when you thought you had nothing left to give - that's what makes you a Lion" (or, maybe, a Tiger!)]

I don't post on here much but the quote above reminded me of a line from Kipling's "If" - "If you can force your heart, and nerve, and sinew to serve your turn long after they are gone; and so hold on, when there is nothing in you, except the will which says to them "Hold on!"" Sums up the required spirit for me.
The Kipling quote is wonderful. It's SO good its the sort of thing that you'd find printed on the walls of corridors all around the Saracens stadium and their PR department would claim that Nigel Wray after a Saracens 'family' strategy away day!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:00 pm
billhemsley wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:25 pm [Reminded me of McGeechan - and I'm going to get the quote wrong, of course - "the bit you give when you thought you had nothing left to give - that's what makes you a Lion" (or, maybe, a Tiger!)]

The Kipling quote is wonderful. It's SO good its the sort of thing that you'd find printed on the walls of corridors all around the Saracens stadium and their PR department would claim that Nigel Wray had written it after a Saracens 'family' strategy away day!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:51 pm

Murphy is not the head coach. He is D.O.R. You will often find the head coach and d.o.r. are differing personalities.
Sorry, should have said "had", although I guess there is nothing to stop him becoming a "Head Coach" in the future.

And yes, quite possibly, the two positions require differ personalities by default. But I do still wonder how they'll get on. Not in a particular negative way as some might assume. Their relationship would certainly seem to be important in terms of how we get on over the next 2/3 seasons. And if all goes well hopefully more!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I imagine after how the Cockerill/Mauger dynamic went down, the club have been careful not to make the same mistake twice & I’m sure there has been as much communication between Borthwick & Murphy as possible to ensure they share the same vision etc.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:08 pm

Your right he never had the metal to be Head Coach that's why he was replaced by Borthenstein and then he was promoted to Director of Rugby for his ineptitude.

As long as Murphy does not pick the starting XV as he has said he will then we stand a chance.
Well that’s unfortunate for you then as like you say, Murphy will pick the team.