Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Steve Borthwick

Post by jgriffin »

fentiger wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:42 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:39 pm
mol2 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:21 pm I bet he's chuffed to find he is walking into an even bigger mess than he envisaged.

No May, Tuillagi, Vainu & Taufua.
Most replacents presumably already contracted for next season.

He will reach hero status if he keeps us up next season.
If we can't finish above at least one other side next season I would be amazed.
It might actually be easier to implement a new style of play with players who are more likely to stick to the script.
And if those others have been acting like prima donnas then it may be a lot easier to build a proper team spirit without them?
My feelings exactly
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thanks to all those who are leaving for playing for Tigers.
Borthwick will now inherit a squad that really does want to play for us.
TV, Manu, Bateman must remember how they have been very well looked after when they’ve all had their issues and, in Manu’s case, he wouldn’t even be in this country but for the great support from Tigers. Even when he then had issues with England( jumping off that boat) and his altercation with the police in the City centre, the club stood by him.
TV provided great entertainment and I thought he’d stay.
Bateman again was at times a pleasure to watch but sadly he too had other problems to deal with so not surprisingly didn’t play much in the last two years.
Borthwick inherits a squad that will now be similar to Saints: lots of youngsters with a well balanced mix of fantastic talent and experience.
With no relegation we can use the rest of the season to try to win as many games as possible but give the youngsters plenty of game time.
There will be those players who moan but more who are full of praise for the club. That’s life. That’s also what the professional game is about.
Tigers had to put a financial plan together to survive.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:39 pm

If we can't finish above at least one other side next season I would be amazed.
It might actually be easier to implement a new style of play with players who are more likely to stick to the script.
And if those others have been acting like prima donnas then it may be a lot easier to build a proper team spirit without them?
My feelings exactly
Having watched the home matches from the Crumbie and the away on BT I would not suggest that Vianu, Tuillagi or Taufua played like prima donnas. The first two have played for Tigers for a long time. The latter we dragged halfway around the world and offered them a pay cut.

I think we should not be too harsh on players who have short careers and have to look to their long term security even if it conflicts with the Tigers.

Some of the others may struggle to make what they do at Tigers judging on how they played in the season so far. You might wonder if they feel their contracts are tight enough to make it worth sticking it out.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

More cause for optimism than not.I'd neither criticize or denigrate those leaving but looking at the names , injuries and international commitments have limited their club appearances , whilst others are questionable first team starters.There is talent and ability coming through the ranks and if Jordan Taufua's (probable) departure means a regular start for Tommy Refell then it is surely not the end of the world.
We have players who want to be here , established and proven coaches who can work without the pressure of relegation for the remainder of the season and the best (and largest) support in the country.Also , lest we forget other options in terms of playing staff will be available due to obvious circumstances and if The club intend to pay upto the Salery Cap (as stated) we shall be in a position to bring in other options , as I would guess a large amount of potential finance has just been released.Give those who want to wear our shirt a chance.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I just hope that the loss of quite a few of our star players won't trigger a response from the sponsors who may have been hanging on for the new coaching set up along the lines of:

What is the benefit to the company of sponsoring a bottom of the table club that has just lost its two biggest England stars (May and Tuillagi) as well as losing Vianu?"

Hope they have spoken with the sponsors more effectively than the fans.

Where has the TV rights sale money gone?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

mol2 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am I just hope that the loss of quite a few of our star players won't trigger a response from the sponsors who may have been hanging on for the new coaching set up along the lines of:

What is the benefit to the company of sponsoring a bottom of the table club that has just lost its two biggest England stars (May and Tuillagi) as well as losing Vianu?"

Did you not hear the loss of money Tigers suffered?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

mol2 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:51 pm
jgriffin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 pm

My feelings exactly
Having watched the home matches from the Crumbie and the away on BT I would not suggest that Vianu, Tuillagi or Taufua played like prima donnas. The first two have played for Tigers for a long time. The latter we dragged halfway around the world and offered them a pay cut.

I think we should not be too harsh on players who have short careers and have to look to their long term security even if it conflicts with the Tigers.

Some of the others may struggle to make what they do at Tigers judging on how they played in the season so far. You might wonder if they feel their contracts are tight enough to make it worth sticking it out.
Not to suggest they played like prima donnas, just that their behaviour in general may be interpreted as such!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Lets not get carried away. Sacrifices have been made by 31+ having to be stood down.
For what ever reason the five players in question have had to make a decision as to where they stand within the club and their future earning power against their international aspirations.
They have chose its not Tigers . Wish them well. Who knows where their future lies. Thanks for your service. Der KING ist tod........

SB will have been updated along with coaching staff. Therefore they inherit players who are fully behind the the future direction of the club. Those who remain will be loyal to the badge and the cause.
Perhaps the five will drop straight into other clubs question is where and at what cost. We hear British clubs are in a similar if not worse position than Tigers. So good luck.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

mol2 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:25 am I just hope that the loss of quite a few of our star players won't trigger a response from the sponsors who may have been hanging on for the new coaching set up along the lines of:

Sponsors are still sponsoring a company with Genge, Ford, Lavanini, Nadalo and potentially still Taufua, that's still quite a draw.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

I'd argue Ford and Genge are the two biggest England stars that have played for Tigers in the last 12 months, Ford as the professional petit général who has had as big a hand as any in both flushes of EJ's success and Genge as the biggest "box office" character in the squad...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I have no criticism to make of the Board or any of the players who have left. Unique times. Difficult choices.

However with an excellent coaching team in place I'm looking forward to Tigers finding finding a playing identity once again. I know what a Saracens performance looks like. I can imagine it in my head. team. Ditto Harlequins. Exeter. Bristol. Even Wasps.
But if someone asked me to describe how the the current Tigers team play, I would have no idea. In the last three / four years we seem to simply thrown fifteen players onto the field (who often don't seem to be able to last the 80 minutes as well as the opposition) and hoped that a May or Tuilagi will turn it on or Ford will kick 50 points.

If it takes two / three years to develop a clear playing identity again once, with resilient systems that players understand I'll be happy. We can go on to develop a winning habit from that. My hunch is that the trauma of the last couple of days will actually help the process. That's if we don't go into administration of course!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

...What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:26 am

Did you not hear the loss of money Tigers suffered?

We are all aware of the huge loss in revenue that Tigers have suffered.
I was expressing a concern that I hope that Tigers have checked the contract terms or risk paying out the cost of the contracts they are seeking to terminate. If the contracts are watertight then the situation might well get worse by being compelled to pay them in full (possibly with legal costs) and potentially upsetting sponsors who may be upset by losing two of the club's big stars. We are fortunate that some of the other big stars like Ford, Youngs and Genge have looked at the bigger picture and can afford to do so. I am dissapointed Manu hasn't. As to the others the same applies but they may find a 25% hit harder to take.

Tigers like many teams in many areas of sport are in a financial tight spot which will see some go to the wall.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would think sponsorship deals are more dependant on supporter numbers, social media followers, attendances, TV viewing figures etc.

Short term, a few players leaving won't affect this. Did all the sponsors run away when Manu was injured for 2 years? Or after Toomua left? Veainu has 6000 followers on twitter - from a purely commercial point of view that makes him approximately worthless. Manu has over 100k on Instagram, but you'll notice roughly zero of his posts show Tigers' sponsors. Taufua? Almost no one outside of NZ has heard of him so he has very little commercial value to a Tigers sponsor. Bateman? Reid? Eastmond?

As for contracts, I feel pretty confident that Tigers have consulted lawyers and are far more aware of the risks than we are.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Latest piece from Chris Egerton and Adam Whitty on BBC Sport:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53264750

....essentially Steve Borthwick's baptism of fire.....