Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Rugby Coronavirus Laws

Post by northerntiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:50 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:03 am In the UK, 1,000 people a year die from falling down the stairs. Anyone worried about walking down the stairs this morning? Nope, didn't think so.
Wrong. Loads of people have that worry. But the ones who DO worry about falling down stairs move into a bungalow if they can.
And the ones who do worry about catching the virus can stay indoors.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

northerntiger wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 3:14 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:50 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:03 am In the UK, 1,000 people a year die from falling down the stairs. Anyone worried about walking down the stairs this morning? Nope, didn't think so.
Wrong. Loads of people have that worry. But the ones who DO worry about falling down stairs move into a bungalow if they can.
And the ones who do worry about catching the virus can stay indoors.
Lots of people end up in A & E through falls caused by putting underwear and socks on. All these are normal risks. COVID19 wasn't, hence the excess deaths figure. My daughter (paed ICU but also A & E in this crisis) put it bluntly: "each stat is someone drowning in their own body fluids and many know it is happening, try watching that!". I'd rather no rugby till next year than one player dies like that.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think I can draw sympathies with both JGriffin's and Tiglon's points of view, in my opinion as long as the hospitals can cope then I'm satisfied we can start coming out of lockdown, it's gonna be baby steps and the next couple of weeks will determine how successful we can be at safely returning to normal without encouraging a second peak that will be overwhelm the NHS. It's going to be a nervous time for the country this June.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

We have physically and emotionally stressed NHS staff. A number of their colleagues have died of the disease. I think they deserve a break rather than a further outbreak.
I'm not cynical just experienced
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Some just don't seem to have the filter to reason.
The virus spread can be mitigated with a cautious approach.
Similarly risks are mitigated by driving to the conditions or sleeping downstairs when half cut.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Correct me if I'm wrong BFG, but I think for once you're agreeing with me. The risks of coronavirus, like all the usual boring day to day risks like driving and walking down stairs, can be mitigated against with a cautious approach - we don't all need to stay at home forever or cancel all sport for a year.

A cautious approach is wise, I doubt anyone would disagree. What's not so obvious is how far it is reasonable to go in the name of caution. To not play any rugby for the next year even though the risks can clearly be mitigated would be, IMHO, way over the top.

Just the fact that the players are under 45 means that the risks are so low that, statistically, they have zero added likelihood of dying this year due to coronavirus. jgriffin's scenario of players dying horrible deaths from coronavirus is no more likely to happen than one of the players having a road traffic accident on the way to the match.

Some perspective is needed.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Just for my own clarity, if all players and match officials, for 1 match, have been tested and are clear, and all support staff, coaches physios etc wear the necessary ppe, the chances of anyone catching the virus during a match are so minimal as to be non existent. Or taking the incubation period of the vaccine into account is that over simplifying the issue
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The balance has to be decided upon. Mitigation or "flattening the curve" does not automatically mean less people will die of covid, just that the time frame is longer. (Unless a vaccine appears in a timely manner). The economy has to be considered - if people stay off work indefinitely business will collapse and our society will crumble. The NHS we rely on will not exist if there is no revenue to pay for it. Swamp it with covid and it won't be able to deal with all the other illness that are just as important.

It's never nice to watch somebody die but it does come with the job if you work in healthcare and they deserve our thanks let's hope it will be a catalyst for better staffing levels long after the virus has passed.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:12 pm Correct me if I'm wrong BFG, but I think for once you're agreeing with me. The risks of coronavirus, like all the usual boring day to day risks like driving and walking down stairs, can be mitigated against with a cautious approach - we don't all need to stay at home forever or cancel all sport for a year.

A cautious approach is wise, I doubt anyone would disagree. What's not so obvious is how far it is reasonable to go in the name of caution. To not play any rugby for the next year even though the risks can clearly be mitigated would be, IMHO, way over the top.

Just the fact that the players are under 45 means that the risks are so low that, statistically, they have zero added likelihood of dying this year due to coronavirus. jgriffin's scenario of players dying horrible deaths from coronavirus is no more likely to happen than one of the players having a road traffic accident on the way to the match.

Some perspective is needed.
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone.
Nothing wrong with valuing a single life or a single life valuing living it.
Sadly though IMO stupidity also has to be factored in, like the idiot drivers.
I was in a que yesterday and the couple behind me couldn't even read the stand here floor signs, twelve inches away they were, yep I told them and yep they took absolutely no notice of me whatsoever.
Last edited by BFG on Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

We also need to look at the wider perspective.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2020 ... -the-virus