LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by sapajo »

Why are our best players potentially choosing to leave Tigers because of wage cuts when such wage cuts are not unique to us ???
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:21 pm At the same time as Leicester gets locked down again....
We shall see the truth soon, but unless they have something concrete lined up they might find the wages on offer are no better than we are offering.
Totally agree and unless I’m very wide of the mark, wouldn’t be the first time, as they are still contracted to Tigers, they can’t officially talk to other clubs until their contract is up, so in theory how would they know what else is on the table.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Happy losing Ford ,Genge and Tuilagi????!!!!! That would sign our relegation imo
Last edited by Scott1 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 pm Why are our best players potentially choosing to leave Tigers because of wage cuts when such wage cuts are not unique to us ???
Our players are unique to us though..

We might be the only club actually doing all this within the rules of the salary cap...

We might be further up the creek than we think...

Maybe we are trying to get all the ducks lined up long term now rather than kicking the can down the road .
To win is not as important as playing with style!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Frustrating as it may be, I see it as an opportunity to see who wants to be here. Players and coaches will come and go, the club is the constant.
If we lose Genge, who other than clubs from abroad can afford him in such uncertain times globally. Likewise Tuilagi and Ford if they are on that list. Taking into account England appearance money they’ll lose if they go abroad, where does the balance sit between fighting for their 25% and preferring the stability of staying. Our club won’t be the only one looking to cut its playing budget, meaning other clubs may not necessarily have the room to pay them what they were on previously. Leicester is not the only place affected (despite the contrary reports today).
As for the likes of Taufua, Lavanini and Liebenberg, they may well have suitors abroad, but aren’t affected the same by the international appearance loophole of England players.
Finally, Bateman and Eastmond, solid squad players yet, but are they likely to be inundated with contact offers when you see players like Jamie Gibson contemplating his future.
If they go, so be it. Sad reality, but it opens up a chance to reshape the squad with the freed up cap space. As other clubs globally have do likewise, I actually see an abundance of quality players becoming available and with only so much cap space left for clubs throughout the world game, players demands may lower accordingly.
For every Eastmond, there’ll be a Matt Scott made available. For every Bateman there’ll be a Mulipola not yet signed anywhere etc etc. If we strike the right balance of high calibre players mixed with opportunities for the best of our development players (three consecutive seasons as champions), we may just rediscover the Tigers blogs minded ethos of old.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:24 pm Why are our best players potentially choosing to leave Tigers because of wage cuts when such wage cuts are not unique to us ???
I'm reminded of the late, great Frank Carson...

"It's the way I tell 'em!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well in the mail

“London Irish are in a similar stand-off with their squad as they try to introduce a further 25 per cent cut to all contracts, despite having agreed blanket reduced deals only a fortnight ago. The players are resisting with many looking for ways out.“
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I would not be surprised if there are a number of lawyers rubbing their hands.

As for players not being able to talk to other clubs we all know that’s impossible to enforce. There is no way that someone loosely connected to the players agents asking other clubs “if player X was to become available what deal could be done?”

The agreements not to approach other clubs is a civil/contractual matter. By serving notice to the players that the club that they are changing their existing contract probably means that under the rules that players are free to speak to other clubs and for those clubs to approach them.

Tigers may find that they lose a number of players but then end up paying out as much or more than they might save in legal fees and paying off contracts. It may be a risky stance to take.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

It’s a strange old world

I don’t blame the players nor the club

Everyone needs to do what’s right for themselves

I was recently talking to someone who works at a university (not in Leicestershire) and everyone is being given 20% reductions OR there will be mass redundancies - board already have done

What we are seeing at the club is something that will start across the country when Furlough ends

People are right it’s not fair on the players but the club has to save itself

If peoples contracts were up at the end of the year and we couldn’t afford to pay there current wage levels maybe it’s better they leave now

I will be upset to loose those who are Leicester through and through and some of newer stars 🌟

Whatever happens we have to move forward
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:32 pm Happy losing Ford ,Genge and Tuilagi????!!!!! That would sign our relegation imo
Certainly would not be happy , but equally certain that this type of wage reduction to playing staff is not unique to Leicester...
Would love to hear and know the full 's.p.' but accept that this wont happen.Based on what I'm reading I am disappointed by the players stance.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:32 pm Happy losing Ford ,Genge and Tuilagi????!!!!! That would sign our relegation imo
If it does, it does. I’d prefer to be in the Championship than not have a club to support at all.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I'm going to wait to see exactly what the damage is before taking the "it is what it is" view. I appreciate that the club is the main concern, players come and go but if...and it's a big if, we lose our top stars...Manu, Ford for example, that is a catastrophic loss and the impact will be felt deep and wide. Sure, players take their positions but these players are the reason that some people come and watch Tigers and if they're not there, it won't pull those fans who wouldn't normally attend, into the ground. To attract the best, you have to have something to hang your hat on. You'd think Borthwick would have been made aware that this was coming. If not, it could get worse.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:13 am
If it does, it does. I’d prefer to be in the Championship than not have a club to support at all.
:smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Not even relegation this year.
And we can sign players for next season (as well as this)
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Obviously the names may just be rumours but I can understand where the players are coming from.

If Genge is one of the players, he has 7/8 years left to make the most of playing rugby. Should he really sign a contract for 2/3 years below the market rate if another club somewhere in the world will pay him more.

And hypothetically, Bateman probably has one contract left in his career on probably similar wages to a lot on here, he's a squad player who won't be earning huge amounts. He's soon going to be moving on from playing so needs to maximise earnings. I wouldn't want to risk injury every week at the end of my career for substantially less money.

I totally understand where the club is coming from to save money. But those saying the players need a reality check probably don't have jobs where they could get a life changing injury everytime they turn up to work, or face the end of there careers in a handful of years and will need to completely change employment areas.