LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by BFG »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:38 pm The question may now be for Steve Borthwick - which of the 'Sidelined Six' would you wish to keep if it became possible?
Quite possibly the easiest answer is to look at who you want to face Don Armand, Ollie Devoto, Henry Slade and Co in a few weeks!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:38 pm The question may now be for Steve Borthwick - which of the 'Sidelined Six' would you wish to keep if it became possible?
Taufua. Simply has to be. World class flanker, genuinely covers 6/7/8 to a great standard, big impact in attack and defence, doesn't miss half the season for international rugby (though is Samoa qualified), in his prime years and doesn't have a lot of injury baggage.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:41 pm
Taufua, Manu, Veianu for sure although it seems TV is off to SF.

Bateman would be a bonus. Reid and Eastmond can go imho.
According to the Telegraph Taufua is still deciding
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

I find this media talk of losing 5 key people nonsense. Reid and Eastmond were peripheral. Bateman useful but failed to hit the heights of prior seasons. Veainu barely played and exceptionally injury prone. Manu with England about a third of the season and frequently injured.

We must have a fair old wedge of cap to spend now. Can sign some people who are happy to find homes. And we've done all our hard work whereas many other clubs have kicked the can down the road.

Retaining JT would be v good business. He's more important than the other 5 combined tbh.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Goshengareth wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:53 pm I find this media talk of losing 5 key people nonsense. Reid and Eastmond were peripheral. Bateman useful but failed to hit the heights of prior seasons. Veainu barely played and exceptionally injury prone. Manu with England about a third of the season and frequently injured.

We must have a fair old wedge of cap to spend now. Can sign some people who are happy to find homes. And we've done all our hard work whereas many other clubs have kicked the can down the road.

Retaining JT would be v good business. He's more important than the other 5 combined tbh.
I suspect we have gone for the 'once and for all' model as apparently did Sale, but not Saints. JT seems the obvious one to keep BUT if he is only here for a year, do you build the team around him -no. So he might not play as great a role in our future. Ditto Manu.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:29 pm How tempted would you be to say, yeah you can sign on but the contract is now this.

I’m sure they won’t btw.
One would hope the offer would be the same, and be consistent with offers to others who agreed first time around; otherwise it would be shockingly unfair to the others, consequently be divisive, and a waste of money in my view.
As Good As It Gets
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

ABClub wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:43 pm [quote=strawclearer post_id=745288 time=<a href="tel:1593787082">1593787082</a> user_id=9931]
The question may now be for Steve Borthwick - which of the 'Sidelined Six' would you wish to keep if it became possible?

Taufua. Simply has to be. World class flanker, genuinely covers 6/7/8 to a great standard, big impact in attack and defence, doesn't miss half the season for international rugby (though is Samoa qualified), in his prime years and doesn't have a lot of injury baggage.
+1 👍

I’d also put a 10% bonus on his contract if he steamrolls Hogg again...
Last edited by aslongaswebeatsaints on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Agreed you'd like to tie JT in for longer. But a year would be a good start. And I'd be fine with tinkling his offer up a bit to get him to sign.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:41 pm
Taufua, Manu, Veianu for sure although it seems TV is off to SF.

Bateman would be a bonus. Reid and Eastmond can go imho.
Reid and Eastmond wouldn't be a great miss, Bateman is a good player who can cover both prop positions so I would like to see him stay if possible but its not a disaster, Manu, Taufua and Veianu are world class players for sure
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

BFG wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:42 pm
Quite possibly the easiest answer is to look at who you want to face Don Armand, Ollie Devoto, Henry Slade and Co in a few weeks!
Someone genuinely committed to the Club would be my first priority.
I would suggest there are some players in our squad absolutely raring to get stuck in, I would suggest Dossers Lad might be drafted in to keep geeing up the younger members, it's his type of attitude we need going forward, can you imagine how long it took him to decide on his pay cut?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:23 pm
BFG wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:42 pm
Someone genuinely committed to the Club would be my first priority.
I would suggest there are some players in our squad absolutely raring to get stuck in, I would suggest Dossers Lad might be drafted in to keep geeing up the younger members, it's his type of attitude we need going forward, can you imagine how long it took him to decide on his pay cut?
The more committed on the face of it are often those with fewer options.
If 500k pa were on offer elsewhere to most then I'd bet that most would be off.
These issues always dog players in more demand.
Manu is a good player and Leicester will be stronger with than without.
He isn't too old as he is the same birth year as Enever and younger than Nadolo.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://twitter.com/aplenorugby/status/ ... 6832488456

"#Rugby#Inglaterra Matías Moroni could replace Manu Tuilagi in #LeicesterTigers ."

I would take with a pinch of salt, as didn't read the article.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:45 pm George Chuter pulls no punches!

https://www.planetrugby.com/turmoil-at- ... ters-mess/
Well yes and no. He’s not really saying much other than commenting again on our problems of the last few years that we’re all well aware of.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also the academy has been more like 4 years of producing not 2 years.