LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by DeadlyDunc »

ads wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:08 pm I've no idea what Enever is like as a player but if the strength in depth and the competition for places brings out the best in Green and Wells then i'll be happy.
Yeah as noted by a few people an inform hooker (Montoya?) with Borthwick in charge of the forwards and line out might mean Green gets back to the form of a few years ago when he was the top line out lock int he league if I remember rightly?

It hasn’t happened to that level yet but I always think our line out is a few mistakes away from total crumbling and that results in us using low risk options that might secure ball but don’t really stress the opposition too much - I accept there are exceptions at times.

That only my gut feel wiser sages might point out stats that contradict me entirely!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hopefully Nick Evans is still on the market.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If only for one game JMH has to turn out for us, testimonial anything!

Potter is a sensible signing, looking to make a career, knows the new coach, presumably relatively cheap.

I would politely suggest some posters on here would not be happy if we announced Itoje & Retallick tomorrow.

I was surprised it (Enever) was a name that hadn't been mentioned, if he does the basics of a 2nd row that's his primary task, he isn't a downgrade on Spencer for me.

Depending on contract lengths I would suggest we might be able to free some cap from the no.12 shirt in 12 months.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Super User
Super User

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:52 pm Hopefully Nick Evans is still on the market.
Caucau as well....
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

ourla wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:52 pm Our biggest issues have been in the Coaching and Backroom staff in recent seasons.

Whilst the playing personnel is clearly important I'm more excited by what's been done in that regard.
Agreed. In recent seasons I've had little confidence in the signings because I had so little confidence in the the coaching. I'm content to accept that Mr Borthwick knows a tad more about 2nd rows than me and if he thinks Mr Enever is a good signing given what he knows he has in the squad - then so be it. He might even be arrogant enough to think that he can turn a good player into an excellent player - 'cause that's what excellent coaches are paid to do.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:30 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:16 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:19 pm Really hope that Alemanno is still coming in as the rumoured Puma signing. Would give us good strength in depth in the pack.

4. Lavanini, Enever
5. Alemanno, Green
6. Liebenberg, Wells, Lewis

We already have 4 senior hookers so really wouldn’t be any point in adding another.
Unless we run the risk of him signing a long term deal elsewhere and that OTY will likely hang up his boots and head for the tractor at the end of the extension he signed this season.
Think you're mixing up Alemanno and Montoya there, crumbie? Montoya is the hooker we've been chatting to for a while about replacing Youngs long term but who has the option of an early release from his Jaguares contract now.

Alemanno is the second row. Usually the Pumas bench option behind Guido Petti and Lavanini these days but Alemanno is still a very good international second row. Also a really strong lineout leader which Tigers are direly in need of.

I'd take both at Tigers in a heartbeat. Montoya and Mamukashvili would be a leap forward compared to the form of our hookers for the last couple of years.
Nope, no confusion.

I was implying that we may take the hit on having one too many hookers next season by signing Montoya now rather than him signing a longer term deal somewhere else. I believe Tom Youngs (OTY) is out of contract at the end of next season so we may take the hit knowing Tom will be hanging up his boots and we won't have to sign a replacement then as we'll already have one on the books
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:45 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:30 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:16 pm

Unless we run the risk of him signing a long term deal elsewhere and that OTY will likely hang up his boots and head for the tractor at the end of the extension he signed this season.
Think you're mixing up Alemanno and Montoya there, crumbie? Montoya is the hooker we've been chatting to for a while about replacing Youngs long term but who has the option of an early release from his Jaguares contract now.

Alemanno is the second row. Usually the Pumas bench option behind Guido Petti and Lavanini these days but Alemanno is still a very good international second row. Also a really strong lineout leader which Tigers are direly in need of.

I'd take both at Tigers in a heartbeat. Montoya and Mamukashvili would be a leap forward compared to the form of our hookers for the last couple of years.
Nope, no confusion.

I was implying that we may take the hit on having one too many hookers next season by signing Montoya now rather than him signing a longer term deal somewhere else. I believe Tom Youngs (OTY) is out of contract at the end of next season so we may take the hit knowing Tom will be hanging up his boots and we won't have to sign a replacement then as we'll already have one on the books
Ah I get your drift, crumbie. Apologies. I'd agree that Montoya is too good a player to miss out on.

I've just made a thread for Montoya. Chris Egerton has just tweeted saying he's signed with Tigers. Egerton is about the best source we could want outside of an official announcement from the club.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 pm
I was surprised it (Enever) was a name that hadn't been mentioned, if he does the basics of a 2nd row that's his primary task, he isn't a downgrade on Spencer for me.
How is it possible to come to this opinion unless you have seen Enever play?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Lock has been an issue for the club almost since Parling left. Cetainly it is easy to blame the locks and the hooker for the problems in the line out but I suspect we have had an over complicated calling system, a lack of recognition that we sometines need to secure the ball when the opposition seem to be dealing with our long throws. How much was down to the players and how much down to the coaching is speculation. I'd like to think we now have an international coach who was an international lock as head coach we can rule out the latter as a cause.

The arrival of Lavaninni was a significant step forward.

Hooker too, with the best will in the world OTY is in the twighlight of his career and losing Polota-Nau does mean that we needed to sign a hooker or two. Hopefully those signings and a change in coaching will allow Kerr and the new Argentinian to develop next season.

I'm sure we were all hoping the international lock signing was going to be Itoje and compared to him, any other lock in the world would be relatively dissappointing!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scuttle wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:03 pm
JP14 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:46 pm I have on good authority that the Puma we’re signing is Juan Martin Hernandez... :smt023
I am sorry but not sure about that. If I am wrong I apologise but why sign a 37 year old whose preferred position is fly'-half but who can play further out in midfield/full back, when we have the players we have in that area along with new signings.
It was a joke :smt030.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Do we need another winger?
Super User
Super User

sapajo wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:08 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:55 pm
How is it possible to come to this opinion unless you have seen Enever play?
I have seen some bits of him in Super Rugby & seen enough of Spencer, tbh I reckon the ex 2nd row on the board would be an upgrade.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 am Do we need another winger?
I have it on good authority that the winger we are signing is Rory Underwood.
Super User
Super User

Traveller wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:15 am
JP14 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:07 am Do we need another winger?
I have it on good authority that the winger we are signing is Rory Underwood.
For those of us who saw him play that is a nice memory, him on one wing & Barry Evans on the other (now he was rapid!).
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I shall be quite disappointed if we're unable to sign Alemanno, I was looking forward to having a 57 cap, experienced international potentially available all year round that would have really shored up our lineout. Nonetheless, I understand if in the current climate he got better offers elsewhere, then so be it.