LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by johnthegriff »

Not sure that we can say Sarries got it right as the manner in which they achieved success has proven to be a little flawed. Tigers probably got it right from 1998 until the Cockerill/ O'Connor combination split, sure we had ups and downs that is the nature of sport but mostly we at the top or thereabouts. Our problem really came with injury and lack of depth which could have been caused by players wage demands or the salary cap. It is always going to be difficult in Europe competing with provincial teams funded by their national union or by French Clubs with massive budgets from local businesses and often playing in stadiums supplied and maintained by the local authority.
Exeter are showing what can still be achieved with good coaching and good academy boosted by good signings, hopefully we can join them and regain our former position but we fans have to be patient things don't happen overnight, young players need time and encouragement the same applies to coaching teams. Remember Rob Baxter and Exeter never won the Championship, promotion came because Bristol failed in the play-offs, had they not things might have been very different at Sandy Park, we will never know but I think the patience and support by their Board and fans played a big part in their success. At Saracens McCall, Sanderson etc now have the opportunity to show it was not just money that took them to the top.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Strength in depth never hurt any club...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

There isn't much of an issue with Scottish players playing outside of Edinburgh/Glasgow so I'm fine with signing players from north of the border.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:27 am Strength in depth never hurt any club...
Totally agree and this is where Exeter have got it so right. They could put out 2 teams and there not be much of a drop in quality.

Assuming things do get back to normal, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of seasons, when Yendle, Steenson, Whitten, Armand, those players that have been with them since championship days and drive the culture retire
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:27 am Strength in depth never hurt any club...
Totally agree and this is where Exeter have got it so right. They could put out 2 teams and there not be much of a drop in quality.

Assuming things do get back to normal, it will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple of seasons, when Yendle, Steenson, Whitten, Armand, those players that have been with them since championship days and drive the culture retire
Didn't all bar Steenson join after their promotion in 2010?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:08 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:44 am

Didn't all bar Steenson join after their promotion in 2010?
Possibly you have better knowledge than me. The point is they have all been there for many seasons and as senior players will have helped Baxter drive the culture. The fact that they were there in the championship or first couple of seasons in the premiership is irrelevant
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:07 am That's good counterpoint.
Although I do think that has also been Exeter's limiting factor in Europe.
Hence why they have signed Hogg and Richie Gray

Yeandle has indeed been a superb player for Exeter. Yeandle is a club's dream player very consistent but also knows his limits.
He gave Cowan-Dickie a high base to aim for.
I missed this yesterday.
I reckon Yeandle is a better than Hartley.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:46 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:07 am That's good counterpoint.
Although I do think that has also been Exeter's limiting factor in Europe.
Hence why they have signed Hogg and Richie Gray

Yeandle has indeed been a superb player for Exeter. Yeandle is a club's dream player very consistent but also knows his limits.
He gave Cowan-Dickie a high base to aim for.
I missed this yesterday.
I reckon Yeandle is a better than Hartley.
You haven’t given him a very high base line BFG 😂😂
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Thought this thread was about our signings/contracts rather than the merits or otherwise of Exeter and Sarries
Hehehehehehehehe
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:15 pm Thought this thread was about our signings/contracts rather than the merits or otherwise of Exeter and Sarries
+1
A2O
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:15 pm Thought this thread was about our signings/contracts rather than the merits or otherwise of Exeter and Sarries
So you can’t mention the sort of players required or the winning culture that is required. Quite a short sighted view
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Westwinds 31 wrote:

“ A few players are in for a shock I think once Borthwick comes in. Ben Young’s comments say a lot I think. He was on his way then when he realised Borthwick was coming in, changed his mind. The guy has presence and a reputation. Like Baxter...like McCall, like Sanderson.”

This hits the nail on the head. The marginal players, including Kerr, will have to prove themselves from day 1. Older heads will be assessed on their potential contributions over the next 2 or 3 seasons - Borthwick will not be building a team for the 2019-2020 season! This may put OTYs future as a first choice 2 at risk with younger players needing to be tested.

Expect some significant changes at the end of the season too!
Valhalla I am coming!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Hamilton is leaving Bristol, might be a good return as he’s never kicked on elsewhere and can cover 6,7,8. Wouldn’t be demanding a massive wage. Seems Liam Gill is going Japan.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:30 pm Hamilton is leaving Bristol, might be a good return as he’s never kicked on elsewhere and can cover 6,7,8. Wouldn’t be demanding a massive wage. Seems Liam Gill is going Japan.
Would bring no more than some of the development lads coming through imo. See no point in us moving backwards.

Shame about Gill but no real surprise
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Luke Hamilton was a French second division player, he gave us 100% every time he took the pitch for us, he was never in danger of being selected by Wales and when he discovered his Scottish qualification and turned out for them it decreased his value to us but heightened his profile and wage expectations, he moved to Scotland to increase his chance of international selection but struggled to get in the Edinburgh team, a move to Bristol has obviously not been a success. For me he sums up many of our recent signings, not bad players that do their best but not quite good enough, we need better to challenge for first team or younger to improve and challenge.