LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by sapajo »

Where Harry Potter goes Voldemort follows and I have not seen the latter at Welford Rd for years :smt003
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It'd be a great shame if Veainu moved on.
He has got Leicester out of a few holes as teams have been kicking and pressing Leicester with superior numbers, I don't know fitter or just simply more mobile or organised all round, but Veainu has taken a lot of cheap shots running it back into those superior numbers.
I was kind of looking forward to seeing big Steward running it back (if the squeeze continued) and Veainu maybe being freed up on one wing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wonder if Taufua might be another who could be looking at going.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:38 pm Wonder if Taufua might be another who could be looking at going.
One of many, I suspect.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The cap lowers next year right? That would only include players brought from next season though right,surely you wouldn't be able to lower any players wages already under contract? Help needed please :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:07 pm The cap lowers next year right? That would only include players brought from next season though right,surely you wouldn't be able to lower any players wages already under contract? Help needed please :smt005
The cap comes down to £5m for the 2021/22 season. So the season after next.

Players who are already in contract for that season (and beyond it) will have 75% of their contract count towards the cap.

Most clubs are negotiating longer term wage reductions across the board. The Sale squad have been the first to agree to wage cuts longer term.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:38 pm Wonder if Taufua might be another who could be looking at going.
Could be Genge, Tuilagi, Ford, or even Johny McPhilips!

The point is that it does no good speculating especially when people like Neil Fissler just copy and paste rumours from message boards such as these to (like Bondi said) to just sell the papers.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ABClub wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:13 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:07 pm The cap lowers next year right? That would only include players brought from next season though right,surely you wouldn't be able to lower any players wages already under contract? Help needed please :smt005

Players who are already in contract for that season (and beyond it) will have 75% of their contract count towards the cap.

Most clubs are negotiating longer term wage reductions across the board. The Sale squad have been the first to agree to wage cuts longer term.
[My bold}
It's amazing what can be achieved when you act with integrity and treat people as responsible adults. Other clubs would do well to follow Sale's example.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks ABC!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm

[My bold}
It's amazing what can be achieved when you act with integrity and treat people as responsible adults. Other clubs would do well to follow Sale's example.
Yes but that means sticking with the current squad for the next three years, something which Tigers and/or Borthwick probably don't want.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:47 pm
Could be Genge, Tuilagi, Ford, or even Johny McPhilips!

The point is that it does no good speculating especially when people like Neil Fissler just copy and paste rumours from message boards such as these to (like Bondi said) to just sell the papers.
Doubt that.
Genge, Tuilagi and Ford will have England draw, and no other premiership club will really beat our offer.
Least be logical, they could well leave but it's a lot more unlikely than the other names.

I like Bondi but it's not like the club have done much other than tease incomings for about a month now in that regards.
I have no problem waiting but when no news happens, even copy and paste rumours at least brings some discussions.
Last edited by RagingBull on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigers physio Dave Orton has announced he is leaving the club after 10 years
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:39 pm Tigers physio Dave Orton has announced he is leaving the club after 10 years
Uneasy feelings....... :smt017
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

strawclearer wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 pm

[My bold}
I'd agree that Sale's man management seems to have been good in the situation. Diamond seems to be very well respected by the Sale squad.

Without wishing to be cynical it may also be Sale reaping the rewards of long term contracts given that 75% of salaries from already signed contracts will count towards the cap when it reduces. Diamond has been signing a lot of their top players to really long contracts so I imagine Sale will have a fair amount the wage bill exempt from the cap.

They also have a very small squad concentrating on quality over quantity as well. That is just excellent recruitment and allows them to pay good salaries across the board, particularly to squad players. I am a fan of the squad Diamond has put together.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

He (Dave Orton ) has had another line of business for a while though. I wouldn’t be surprised at any planned back room staff moves happening this week anyway, as surely they’d have given notice to leave at the end of the season (June 30th). And if they took a week of leave at the end of the contract (not entirely unreasonable) then that’d be 23rd June...

The Sale situation is discussed interestingly on this week’s Eggchasers’ pod. I also think they’ve been keen to put it out there, but they may have lost quite a bit of flexibility and leeway a season or two down the line.
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.