LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:08 am Interesting that the Daily Mail aren’t exclusively reporting this as far as I’m aware.
The 5pm on Tuesday deadline has been reported by a few sources. It's a very specific detail to report if something hasn't been leaked. Seems there may be something to it.

Saints are facing pressure from Beziers for Lawes and Biggar as well apparently. Those two will surely be Saints marquee players though so if either were released it would be less to do with the cap and more to do with Saints wanting a transfer fee and the players wanting a big contract in the current circumstances.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

What a mess. It feels like if this were to happen that it will take longer than the 3-4 year plan to get back to anything resembling a Leicester Tigers that will be competitive again. The sport is in turmoil and all it took was a few months of no rugby, shows how fragile the game is.

I'm still hanging onto the bigger picture, which involves family upheaval, kids moving schools etc - at a really bad time, globally.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TBH I think every team in the world can turn around in 4 years.

The question is are those in charge (Tom and Scott mainly) capable?

Look you have Mark Wilson talking about being worried that Newcastle might not even be a thing if this carries on.
On the other hand you have a player who was at Tigers this and Internationalhaving to do decorating and plastering at the age of 27 to get a wage.

Both are valid worries for both parties.
Blue99Bear

Post by Blue99Bear »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:25 am Even if Ford was leaving Tigers not sure why he would sell his House in the current climate if it was linked to the move.
I agree, I don’t think people should look too much into it. He’s a single man living in a 6 bedroom house. Possibly just looking to relocate.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

It's certainly going to be an interesting scenario over the next few weeks. We NEED players who WANT to play for us.Those who don't should just go now, so we can start afresh with players who do. It could turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

My concern is that whilst Peter Tom may have handled the discussions with the players pretty badly, this is simply masking the underlying financial issues. I'm trying to avoid words like 'existential' but his custodianship is not going as well as we're led to believe imho.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I dont think there is any hiding from the fact that Tigers are losing a lot of money...........hence the redundancies and the need to try and reduce the wage bills. No easy way for it to be done and their are going to be some sacrifices and leavers in the course of this. Clubs like Sale were not spending up to the Cap (apparently) so had the ability to keep players wages around the same mark with a slight reduction and I guess that the operational costs are lower.
Tigers have a full salary cap ( we are told) so there is only one way to reduce the wage bill and that is by reducing salaries or redundancies.
This process has been brought on by a unique situation (COVID) rather than a business decision that has gone wrong. Without these decisions being made Tigers could fail to survive..........I expect to see 1 or 2 clubs not survive the next 12 months.......Newcastle for starters.
Lets hope we wake up tomorrow and find out it was all a dream. Would be nice!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Begs the question will Murphy, Borthwick and other senior position holders be subject to the same wage constraints ???
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

sapajo wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:47 pm Begs the question will Murphy, Borthwick and other senior position holders be subject to the same wage constraints ???
And if so, will they choose to remain. Borthwick for example and in particular might have more options to look elsewhere than some of the players. I guess the salary cap wouldn't be an issue for the coaches but overall financial soundness of the club would be.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

According to someone I know who is itk the situation is worse than is actually being reported if anything. I'll keep it to myself because I've no doubt ny post will be deleted but this guy has broke stories before the media even have so I've no reason not to trust him. I'll guess we will soon know
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

On the BBC now but just saying what we know already. However, dirty linen and all that.... :smt018

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53221780
As Good As It Gets
sussex tiger

Post by sussex tiger »

Im not quite understanding why this being called a dispute ? tigers quite rightly have to reduce the costs to keep the business afloat this in line with having to reduce the players wages as a result of having the lower salary cap coming in. As i see it Tigers have made offers to the players which they can afford and to keep the business afloat 1 some players do not like the offers so are not signing the revised terms of employment quite within their rights so therefore they will leave these used to be called negotiations not disputes.
sometimes although both parties wish to make a deal it just is not possible thats life unfortunately personally as long as tigers survive through this ill be happy enough
Steve
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Loose lips sink ships....

If the leaker is a club employee they have potentially broken their terms of employment, but its probably an agent....

The club should be trying to nip this in the bud, you cant blame the club for having all their income cut off by a global pandemic.

You would be a brave player to risk the open market at the moment, I doubt there is much room in the Cap at any club.

If it comes down to the survival of Tigers or us having a squad that challenge for honours there is only one option, only the stupidly rich owner wont be hurt by the current climate.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:07 pm According to someone I know who is itk the situation is worse than is actually being reported if anything. I'll keep it to myself because I've no doubt ny post will be deleted but this guy has broke stories before the media even have so I've no reason not to trust him. I'll guess we will soon know
I doubt we have the same source(s) but I suspect we are hearing a similar story.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean it’s only worse if that more players are involved than just 12.

As long as the club is secure I don’t really mind how many players leave currently both sides have very valid reasons.