Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by POSTIGER »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:30 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm

?
I'm assuming they won't be delighted about taking a pay cut. If they're happy about it, why is it being discussed? Having a third of the squad forced to take a reduction in terms is surely not conducive to great team spirit.
If they are not happy they don't have to take the money.
No, they don't and so they leave. Borthwick is then left with a weaker squad....which was my point in the first place. It's a bit of a Catch 22 for SB.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It's not really a catch 22. If they sign it will be all good.

Rugbypass saying
Genge, Ford, Bateman, Tuilagi and Eastmond are 5 players too be stood down.

Now it's Ian Cameron who is quite possibly the worst connect journalist in rugby.
Literally nothing he says from his own "Sources" comes true.

But if true it doesn't really say it's only those 5 or if more.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-five ... -deadlock/

If it's just those 5 then I would be pretty happy if i'm being honest.
Short term we would need 2 props.
10 Henry, Hardwick, McPhilips
12 Scott, Reid with Hardwick cover
13 Taute, Kelly maybe Nadolo, Worth or Olowofela etc

Granted from reports it sounds more like it will be more.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:47 pm It's not really a catch 22. If they sign it will be all good.

Rugbypass saying

Now it's Ian Cameron who is quite possibly the worst connect journalist in rugby.

I'd have probably guessed those 5. If that's their stance then they can go. It's a shame but the club is bigger than any of them. I'd imagine Taufua and Lavanini will go too.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Surprised about Genge. I know money talks loudest but he seems to have been making a nice home for himself and growing family. I can’t see anyone else in the premiership meeting his wages and I would be surprised if he went to France.
Of the others mentioned Bateman and Eastmond are hardly going to be having suitors breaking their door down, Manu to France possibly and Ford to Japan, maybe, he seemed to enjoy the country and bought a franchise for Kobe coffee over to the uk.
Both of these would loose large England payments by moving abroad, but I can’t see how other Premiership clubs would be able to build their salary requirements into costings
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

If Genge, Ford and Manu do move abroad they will instantly lose £80k+ by disqualifying themselves from England duty.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

If there's even a grain of truth to any of this then, for me, it shows how out of touch they are with what's going on for people in the real world. I'd expect this kind of thing from footballers.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:33 pm If Genge, Ford and Manu do move abroad they will instantly lose £80k+ by disqualifying themselves from England duty.
If they do leave to play offshore then I have no doubt that would have been part of their future wage demands
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 pm If there's even a grain of truth to any of this then, for me, it shows how out of touch they are with what's going on for people in the real world. I'd expect this kind of thing from footballers.
Everyone has financial commitments. These are difficult times, I find it hard to judge people for trying to get the best financial deal for themselves and their family. We don't know how much these players are reliant on the contract they negotiated. A 25% pay cut is not an insubstantial amount to lose out of each month's pay. Yes times are bad for other people and in some cases a lot worse than 25% of their salary but that isn't the fault of these blokes.

You have to ask yourself, if you were told you were getting the option of a 25% pay cut or a payrise to go and work in the south of France what would you do?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’ll be honest I heard that Ford and Youngs had already agreed terms.

Let’s not just say I’m not surprised by these names being banded around, Bateman, Genge, Tuilagi and Eastmond.

However, much can change in a working day and I assume everything will be made clear by Wednesday.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:51 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:47 pm It's not really a catch 22. If they sign it will be all good.

Rugbypass saying

I'd have probably guessed those 5. If that's their stance then they can go. It's a shame but the club is bigger than any of them. I'd imagine Taufua and Lavanini will go too.
If a significant number do got then at least Borthwick will have a few months of games to nothing to train the others.

Say it's approaching a worst case and we lose half a dozen of our very best players - Genge, Lavanini, Taufua, Brink, Ford and Veainu. It'd be a gut shot but at least we have a season that's effectively already done for the new set-up to build.

1.Gigena 2.Mamukashvili 3.Cole 4.Enever 5.Green 6.Lewis 7.Reffell 8.Liebenberg
9.Youngs 10.Hardwick 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Taute 14.Olowofela 15.Steward

16.Kerr 17.Leatigaga 18.Heyes 19.Wells 20.Smith 21.White 22.Reid 23.Potter

Maybe Simmons gets some game time at 15 where he's impressed as a junior. Smith/Gough/Lavin could get some game time. Cam Henderson or Martin coming off the bench for first team exposure. Hugely talented backs like JvP, Browning and Kelly might get some bench time.

I'd agree that prop would be an area to be careful. James Whitcombe is a huge talent but still young. Osman Dimen is older but needs Championship exposure IMO. Props can usually be signed at short notice from the Championship though. Oisin Heffernan has impressed for Nottingham. Former Tigers such as Aniseko Sio and Ben Betts showed form for Nottingham last season too in fact. Gaston Cortes hasn't extended his loan with Glasgow either, so he's a free agent.
Last edited by ABClub on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 pm If there's even a grain of truth to any of this then, for me, it shows how out of touch they are with what's going on for people in the real world. I'd expect this kind of thing from footballers.
Everyone has financial commitments. These are difficult times, I find it hard to judge people for trying to get the best financial deal for themselves and their family. We don't know how much these players are reliant on the contract they negotiated. A 25% pay cut is not an insubstantial amount to lose out of each month's pay. Yes times are bad for other people and in some cases a lot worse than 25% of their salary but that isn't the fault of these blokes.

You have to ask yourself, if you were told you were getting the option of a 25% pay cut or a payrise to go and work in the south of France what would you do?
For me other factors would have to be taken into account, such as family language and culture. But if you are young and single, or your family is used to a more transient life style, these things would be less important
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Don’t forget Henry at 10 ABClub
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:06 pm

I'd sack my agent - I really dislike France :smt046

In all seriousness though - If the five players are amongst those digging their heels in then a few of them will be amongst our highest earners. I agree that you want to get the best deal you can but this kind of stand off at this sort of time in the current climate, it just doesn't sit well with me.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believe it wrong to speculate when not in possession of the full set of facts but I find it increasingly disconcerting at the seemingly pervading undercurrent of dissatisfaction amongst our playing staff to what is obviously a new financial reality.Surely no one is blind to what is going on around them ? Leicester Tigers (The Club) are not alone in doing what they have to do to remain afloat , yet some playing staff appear either oblivious or unconcerned and always, it seems , it is our players that make the headlines for the wrong reasons.
I'm fairly old fashioned in approach - I want a team that want to be here.In the here and now the window dressing of legal technicalities and position are no more than rubbish that some choose to hide behind.Reality is what is going on around us.I accept that no one appreciates a reduced contract and that everyone has different circumstances but circumstances have changed and it appears some need to appreciate that.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

At the same time as Leicester gets locked down again....
We shall see the truth soon, but unless they have something concrete lined up they might find the wages on offer are no better than we are offering.
To win is not as important as playing with style!