JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:58 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:31 am
Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:19 am

Lockwood's scrummaging was not premiership standard, I don’t see how a year in the championship would have improved that.

Don’t forget who is Mulipolas agent
Neither arguably was Bateman's, it was just a suggestion...

Oo let me guess, does it happen to be a certain someone's Uncle?
Well brother but yes.
Whoops, mixing up my Tuilagis. Have edited original post...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:43 am Gigena and Leatigaga are both massive re-signings IMO
Agreed, great news!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:25 pm Hanro does have potential to be a tigers skipper. Captained South Africa at U20 level, plus The Bulls.
I’m uncertain Genge and Ford would be amongst the contract renewals announced tomorrow, it’s already been reported in the press, it would be old news really.
I understand your point but it still isn't official so I wouldn't be surprised if Genge, Ford & Lavanini are the names mentioned tomorrow.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:33 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:25 pm Hanro does have potential to be a tigers skipper. Captained South Africa at U20 level, plus The Bulls.
I’m uncertain Genge and Ford would be amongst the contract renewals announced tomorrow, it’s already been reported in the press, it would be old news really.
I understand your point but it still isn't official so I wouldn't be surprised if Genge, Ford & Lavanini are the names mentioned tomorrow.
Well it was rumoured Genge has extended his deal by 1 year. However, don’t know whether Ford and Lavanini have extended their deals or simply agreed to the 25% pay cut.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am Harry Wells extends his contract with the club - important re-signing. Future captain material imo.
I agree he's a standout captain option but I'm not sure he's likely to be starting much with Lavanini and Evener (Unless Evener turns out to be a dud)
I'm willing to give Enever a chance as I see him as a Fitzgerald type player. Borthwick rates him (well officially anyway) but until I see him play I'm going to reserve most of my judgement.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:36 pm
Well it was rumoured Genge has extended his deal by 1 year. However, don’t know whether Ford and Lavanini have extended their deals or simply agreed to the 25% pay cut.
Ahh okay :smt023.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

JP14 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:39 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:36 pm

Ahh okay :smt023.
Would be great news though if we’ve managed to extend Lavanini’s deal too, massive coup if we pull it off. Maybe we’ll get some news on Taufua too.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Seems Gigena will be with us for the next 4 seasons.
If I’m reading this correctly!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCVld33Jd6M ... 63kbn3uhp8

Hopefully all these signings are then 3/4 year deals.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:49 pm Seems Gigena will be with us for the next 4 seasons.
If I’m reading this correctly!
https://www.instagram.com/p/CCVld33Jd6M ... 63kbn3uhp8

Hopefully all these signings are then 3/4 year deals.
It would make sense for people to secure employment for the longer term. I don’t think this current situation is going anywhere soon
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

From the text on TVs departure we weren't expecting him to be with us after the 20/21 season anyway.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:58 pm From the text on TVs departure we weren't expecting him to be with us after the 20/21 season anyway.
I think that just referred to the length of his current contract. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have stayed after that.

For what it's worth I don't really blame him. This has given him an unexpeted 'excuse' or opportunity to head off and try rugby in a different culture for a lot more money - more than I suspect he would have got here even before COVID - and lot earlier than he would have expected. I just hope (despite what we have heard about Mrs V's comments) that the parting is as amicable as it cold be.

Good luck to him.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:23 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:58 pm From the text on TVs departure we weren't expecting him to be with us after the 20/21 season anyway.
I think that just referred to the length of his current contract. Doesn't mean he wouldn't have stayed after that.

For what it's worth I don't really blame him. This has given him an unexpeted 'excuse' or opportunity to head off and try rugby in a different culture for a lot more money - more than I suspect he would have got here even before COVID - and lot earlier than he would have expected. I just hope (despite what we have heard about Mrs V's comments) that the parting is as amicable as it cold be.

Good luck to him.
I think the issue with what Mr & Mrs V said comes from the rather rubbish treatment of a few of their close friends by the club like Peter Betham, Lachlan Mcaffery, JP Peitersen etc and then recent events were probably the straw that broke the camels back, he posted his appreciation for the fans still in one of the FB groups but I think bridges may have been burned
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Good luck to him.
I think the issue with what Mr & Mrs V said comes from the rather rubbish treatment of a few of their close friends by the club like Peter Betham, Lachlan Mcaffery, JP Peitersen etc and then recent events were probably the straw that broke the camels back, he posted his appreciation for the fans still in one of the FB groups but I think bridges may have been burned
From the comments and reactions, I get the feeling that Mr V was already far from being happy and that this gave the perfect opportunity to move on early.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:30 pm

Good luck to him.
The Betham exit I think really was one that upset a few, he was apparently very popular amongst the squad and he and TV did an interview at the time and I remember whomever did it commenting that they'd actually got a lot more footage from the pair but couldn't use it as they were too busy messing around and having fun.

It's a short career at the end of the day and with probably one big contract left in him he should make the most of it. He's been brilliant whilst he's been here but won't have been on big money for very long having originally signed as project player then worked his way up. I hope he's got a three year deal with a fat pay cheque to help finance the move to Paris. Hopefully he helps Stade push back up the league a bit, it's a bit sad to see them down towards the bottom.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Beetham was a bit of MOC genius if I remember correctly...
To win is not as important as playing with style!