Gigena has re-signed! Good news.
Give blood, play rugby!!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by RunTigerRun »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:57 am
RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am Harry Wells extends his contract with the club - important re-signing. Future captain material imo.
I agree he's a standout captain option but I'm not sure he's likely to be starting much with Lavanini and Evener (Unless Evener turns out to be a dud)
Maybe not, but hopefully more rotation and competition will bring the best out of them.

Plus when players like Ford, and potentially Lavanini are away during internationals, having a number of strong leaders in the team will be invaluable.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Banter between Telusa and Gengey on Twitter this morning with Telusa tweeting a picture of a pink Rhino at Gengey with the comment 'just saying' :smt044 :smt044
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:54 am He’s not even Logo’s agent.
Well he was, apologies he isn’t anymore
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

He works for the agency as like a scouter etc but he isn’t his agent.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am Harry Wells extends his contract with the club - important re-signing. Future captain material imo.
Serious question, just what is it that makes him future captain material.
I would have thought he would want to concentrate on cementing a 1st team spot first as he’s arguably 4th choice lock
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:21 am He works for the agency as like a scouter etc but he isn’t his agent.
Semantics there RB, not like you. Ok he is in a position to give him advice on the best deal, I.e money on the table.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

wardy wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:04 am Gigena has re-signed! Good news.
Minimises the departure of Bateman greatly, would have been a issue if he’d have gone too
5 premiership standard props in place, with plenty of quality youngsters coming through
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:23 am
Serious question, just what is it that makes him future captain material.
I would have thought he would want to concentrate on cementing a 1st team spot first as he’s arguably 4th choice lock
Appreciate the depth of locks currently looks promising and he could be 4th choice, or 2nd choice arguably.
For me, it the attitude shown on the pitch, always leading from the front, putting in 100% in every game. He's young, but also has plenty of experience, and has the bonus of being available all year round. Just my opinion of course!
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Lady Gaga extended too! Some good extensions today as well :smt026 :smt026

https://twitter.com/LeicesterTigers?ref ... r%5Eauthor
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

These are all really important signings for Tigers, don't look exciting but it ties a squad together.
I think Harry Wells off pitch stuff show you what sort of person he is.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Very good re-signing, Wells has improved a lot over the last couple of seasons and never lets the team down. Future captain might be a bit of a stretch, he's nearly 27 and has never been first choice, but either way he's a true Tiger and exactly the sort of player we need at the club. I wouldn't be shocked to see him given the role on a few occasions during 6N etc.

Great news on Gigena, I hope that means the visa is imminent or already sorted.

I haven't seen Mulipola play for Newcastle this season, but he never struck me as a player who would have the fitness levels to be at the top level well into his 30's. I don't see why it matters who his agent is, he's going to do what's right for him and, by all accounts, if Tuilagi is involved he will do what gets him the most money rather than lose out because he's in a strop about Manu. Regardless, he wouldn't be at the top of my shopping list, as much as I loved watching him play for Tigers last time round.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Another Prem ready option to replace Bateman would be Lucas Noguera recently released from Bath, but would that impact our O/S player count.
Good stuff these contract renewals. These must have been signed off by Borthwick, so shows where he sees the squad is, in regards to how he wants to shape the playing setup. Should give us some stability.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Gigena and Leatigaga are both massive re-signings IMO
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think with both the experience and youth coming through, we shouldn’t need anymore new blood in the front five now.
Back row different matter.

Harry Wells is a very admirable young man both on and off the pitch, and of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
I just become wary when this future captaincy mantle is banded around, the same used to be said of Sam Harrison and Matt Smith but it just isn’t realistic.
Borthwick will have his own feelings on the captaincy, and interestingly he mentioned Mamu in his interview and obviously rates him. For me the captain needs to be guaranteed his place in the starting 15 when all players are fit and available.

I did read that Harry had been taking his coaching badges, so we may have a future Borthwick on our hands.