LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by fleabane »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:38 am Stop all the discussions re Manu - as I said over a week ago - he will engage in brinkmanship AGAIN, before agreeing to stay - https://twitter.com/midi_olympique/stat ... rQ_CLcFUj8

Midi olympique is rarely wrong

But this translates as “ought to stay”, as well as “should stay”. It does not mean “will stay”!
Valhalla I am coming!
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

Apologies if this has already been posted, but this is a very insightful article about Manu & Tigers. Makes some interesting points about past actions influencing the players and Tigers mgmt approach. He also points out an organisation that has aggressively cut cost is generally in a better position for a sale. https://medium.com/@christopheregerton/ ... 66a3e2a6

Have to say, in my experience, if the outcome of a negotiation creates winners and losers, at some point it will come back to bite you.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:27 am SAR has extended his contract. Injury has meant we have seen no where near the best of him, but could be one to step up under the new regime.
Gives options for back 3 and 13
Hhmmm came with an impressive Eng U20 reputation but still yet to be convinced. I know he’s been curtailed by injuries but for me really needs to step it up this season. For me Potter and Olowofela are ahead of him.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

fleabane wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 am
trendylfj wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:38 am Stop all the discussions re Manu - as I said over a week ago - he will engage in brinkmanship AGAIN, before agreeing to stay - https://twitter.com/midi_olympique/stat ... rQ_CLcFUj8

Midi olympique is rarely wrong

But this translates as “ought to stay”, as well as “should stay”. It does not mean “will stay”!
While the Leicester club had issued an ultimatum to its players last Tuesday to find an agreement on the salary cuts, no compromise had been reached with its three-quarter international center Manu Tuilagi (29 years; 43 caps), this which placed it de facto on the transfer market. This quickly drew the attention of other teams, as explained in these columns on Friday. In France, Béziers, with the arrival of Emirati investors at its head, dreamed of making a huge first move, and he also whispered that Japan was ready to welcome the player. But, according to the latest information published in England, everything suggests that Tuilagi will stay in the Premiership. Surely to the Tigers, moreover, at the cost of a pretty lying poker, even if, across the Channel,

That is what my translator said about the full srticle - admitted it does say "suggest"
Hehehehehehehehe
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I was trying to translate it myself, but haven't spoken French since A-Level over 40 years ago. I didn't get the lying poker bit though!

It is a shame the length of contracts being agreed for Sam A-R and Jordan O (plus the others being announced later today) aren't revealed. I know it is personal and private, but 'long-term' is a little vague.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Olowofela next up.

One thing I do hope this whole mess will do is give us a stable squad for the next 2 -3 years at least.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RichieB wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 am I was trying to translate it myself, but haven't spoken French since A-Level over 40 years ago. I didn't get the lying poker bit though!

It is a shame the length of contracts being agreed for Sam A-R and Jordan O (plus the others being announced later today) aren't revealed. I know it is personal and private, but 'long-term' is a little vague.
Tigers long term usually means 3 years.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 am Olowofela next up.

One thing I do hope this whole mess will do is give us a stable squad for the next 2 -3 years at least.
One benefit of having a settled squad for the next few years is that it stops the need for constant updating of the thread on this forum!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RichieB wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:57 am
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:55 am Olowofela next up.

One benefit of having a settled squad for the next few years is that it stops the need for constant updating of the thread on this forum!
Very true.
Glad Tigers are thinking of me during this :smt002
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Brave move by Tigers regarding Sam Aspland Robinson due to his injury record but if that is behind him we have seen enough to know he will be a very useful member of our squad. I am delighted that Jordan Olowofela has signed long term, there is a lot more to come from that young man particularly if he improves his defense.
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

'un poker menteur' is an idiom meaning 'a game of bluff' or even 'a game of Russian roulette'.

As for Sam Aspland-Robinson, I thought he looked like an extremely good young player for the brief time we saw him in the match when he broke his leg - an injury which can happen to anyone.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:10 am Brave move by Tigers regarding Sam Aspland Robinson due to his injury record but if that is behind him we have seen enough to know he will be a very useful member of our squad. I am delighted that Jordan Olowofela has signed long term, there is a lot more to come from that young man particularly if he improves his defense.
As he won't cost much to re-sign I think Aspland-Robinson is a good calculated gamble. He's talented and also versatile. At home across the back three but has mentioned in the past he'd like to play centre which he does have the footballing skills for.

I'm really excited by Olowofela. There's been understandable negativity from some given his poor strike rate currently and seemingly lacking physicality when first coming into senior rugby. I think we will reap the benefits of giving him early first XV exposure longer term though. His support lines are very good so I have high hopes for him playing off Scott and Nadolo, potentially even Manu for another year as well.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tommy Reffell next up.

IMO I would have Reffell as Captain this season almost if Taufua isn’t here.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:34 am Tommy Reffell next up.

IMO I would have Reffell as Captain this season almost if Taufua isn’t here.
I was just thinking similar RB. I'd be perfectly happy with Ben White and Tommy captaining the side in first XV games this season whilst Ford is away on England duty.

Liebenberg would be a solid option as well.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Further on the Reffell re-signing. When Itoje signed his first senior contract at Sarries someone on another board referred to it as 'signing of the season'. We often get caught up in the hype of big name signings from other leagues but Reffell is the sort of player we can build the back row around for years to come. Brilliant news.