LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by sam16111986 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:09 pm Having been to Beziers i can say with authority it is a proper dump - I also hope the money sweetens the pill of playing for one of the towns in France with a openly far right mayor/politics.

It was quite spicy just walking round the old town in day time but having said that there are some lovely spots around the town itself
Much like with players at Tigers I'd imagine he may well not actually live in the city. I'm sure there's a nice middle class town down by the Med coast within a short commute. Property in France can be pretty cheap so his money should go a fair way.
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:11 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:09 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:02 am

De la Fuente and Abendanon would do nicely short term. I really don't think we need to worry too much about the players we're losing with so much quality available.
Abendanon might be a 12 month fix but Jeronimo de la Fuente should be a three year contract. He's a leader and a very classy operator. Big fan of him, if people liked what Allen offered at 12 than de la Fuente is similar but a noticeable step up. He's the Jaguares captain and he'd slot in perfectly alongside Scott.

Manu would have to leave for us to afford him though as he'll be a player in high demand. The foreign player restrictions might be another issue here unless he's got dual citizenship.
With Veainu leaving it will free up a spot
Might be slightly more expensive than TV, depends what other offers he has on the table. If Manu decided to stay not sure you'd not want that much cap tied up in two centres. I'd love to see him in red, white and green though.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:23 pm
speedski wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:49 pm
trendylfj wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:16 pm Just reported on F?B that Manu is off to Beziers - via a tweet from Jim Hamilton but looked for it myself and can't find it

https://twitter.com/jimhamilton4/status ... 9905781761
Wasn't the Jim Hamilton tweet on 1 July? No idea if right or wrong, but wouldn't we have heard from other sources by now?
Correct, it was.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

jauzy19 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:16 am If i understand you are looking for a prop (LH or TH ?), a centre and a fullback.

Main players out of contrat in France :

- Prop : Uhila (LH, Clermont), Van Dyk (TH, Toulouse), Puafisi (both sides, La Rochelle), A. Brown (TH, Perpignan)

- Centre : Dunbar (Brive), Ebersohn (Castres), Mapoe (Stade Français), Rasolea (Grenoble)

- Fullback : Abendanon (Clermont), H. Bonneval (Toulon), Fall (Montpellier, likely staying in France at Béziers), Murimurivalu (La Rochelle), Combrick (Stade Français), R. Scholes (Brive)
Couple of additional players of interest I would add to that, Jan Uys, powerful second row from Brive, and Hansie Graaf rangy 10/12/15 from Bayonne.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:09 pm Having been to Beziers i can say with authority it is a proper dump - I also hope the money sweetens the pill of playing for one of the towns in France with a openly far right mayor/politics.

It was quite spicy just walking round the old town in day time but having said that there are some lovely spots around the town itself
To be fair - away from the tourist spots - just like British towns, they are dumps.

Just sunnier dumps.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:59 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:38 am Where would we stand in terms of overseas players for the 20/21 season with all of the Argentinian and various other overseas players fitting in to the regulations?
I believe that you are allowed still 2 "oversea" players on the field at any one time

"It is important to note that the legal definition of foreign players is different to one of non-English players. In addition, players can fall under the Bosman or Kolpak rule. The Bosman ruling reinforced the Treaty of Rome in a sporting context, allowing the free movement of EU national workers around other EU countries. This effectively means any EU national has the same rights as any ‘local’ worker and therefore cannot be defined as a foreigner.

In the Premiership, the rule on foreign players has been amended to come into line with the regulations in European competitions. A maximum of two foreign players can now be on the pitch at any one time, at all periods during the season."

I believe that our overseas players are - Gigena, Lavanini, Mamukashvili. I believe the NZ are covered by the Colpac but am not sure about Fiji/Samoa/SA but I stand to be corrected by much more knowledgable people
Thank you for the info :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Dimen, Steward, Smith, Martin and Van Poortvliet are the first players to be announced with new deals.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:48 pm Dimen, Steward, Smith, Martin and Van Poortvliet are the first players to be announced with new deals.
Great news. Important players. Particularly good news for Martin given the signings of Chessum and Henderson.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:48 pm Dimen, Steward, Smith, Martin and Van Poortvliet are the first players to be announced with new deals.
All 5 have potential to be 1st team regulars. Excellent news for the future of the club
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:53 pm
Great news. Important players. Particularly good news for Martin given the signings of Chessum and Henderson.
Great news. Steward, JvP and Martin are potential internationals if they keep developing.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:30 pm

Much like with players at Tigers I'd imagine he may well not actually live in the city. I'm sure there's a nice middle class town down by the Med coast within a short commute. Property in France can be pretty cheap so his money should go a fair way.
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:11 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:09 pm

Abendanon might be a 12 month fix but Jeronimo de la Fuente should be a three year contract. He's a leader and a very classy operator. Big fan of him, if people liked what Allen offered at 12 than de la Fuente is similar but a noticeable step up. He's the Jaguares captain and he'd slot in perfectly alongside Scott.

Manu would have to leave for us to afford him though as he'll be a player in high demand. The foreign player restrictions might be another issue here unless he's got dual citizenship.
With Veainu leaving it will free up a spot
Might be slightly more expensive than TV, depends what other offers he has on the table. If Manu decided to stay not sure you'd not want that much cap tied up in two centres. I'd love to see him in red, white and green though.
Frankly I think it's extraordinary that these players are prepared to consider leaving 'Lock Down Leicester', the 'Venice of the Midlands', the Junction 23 Jewel - to get paid more by playing in Paris, Toulouse or Toulon. When you think of the beauty of the city's architecture, the market, the Cafe Rialto (the best toasted bacon sandwiches in the world), the seemingly permanent road works and traffic lights 'system' around Fosse Park, the beauty of Victoria Park in February, at dusk (1.30pm), as the lights of University shimmer through the rain as it pours down on the litter and into the mud.' They must be mad to even think of leaving.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Just saw a post saying Tafua to Beziers and Manu to Japan.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:04 pm Just saw a post saying Tafua to Beziers and Manu to Japan.
Well the mail are saying that Manu could earn £750,000 in Japan, which would be more than England and Tigers combined for less games and lower impact also.
If Gatland says he would pick him for the lions despite not playing for England this year it would be mad not to go.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:04 pm Just saw a post saying Tafua to Beziers and Manu to Japan.
Taufua has been linked to Bezier even before all this contract stuff started, I'm not saying it wont happen but I get the impression Dominici has been just picking prominent names to impress people and the media are running with it
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Isnt Japan only 5/6 hours away from Samoa too?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Manu would hate Jap food, to be sure !