Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:33 am
glenn wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:07 am Just a thought or two....

Is it still possible to be stood down and then put into furlough? This would pay up to £2500 a month which one assumes is lower than the "5s" current income. This forcing the 5 out so they don't hold out into their current contract too long
I do not believe that Furlough is open to new registrations. My employers had to decide by 10th June if any further staff were to go on furlough.
Yeah after the 11th only people who had already been furloughed could be after that, my work switched around who was furloughed to ensure if they had problems they could furlough more people if required
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

jauzy19 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 am Jerónimo de la Fuente is a recent new follower of Leicester Tigers on instagram.
Would be a great signing, apart from having one of the best names in world rugby he is a great passer and offloader of the ball and has an underrated step too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

jauzy19 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 am Jerónimo de la Fuente is a recent new follower of Leicester Tigers on instagram.
Would be very happy with that signing, think him and Scott could be a great partnership!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

De la Fuente and Abendanon would do nicely short term. I really don't think we need to worry too much about the players we're losing with so much quality available.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

So if we recoup monies from the sale of the 5.
1/ Do we have to spend it to strengthen the squad?
2/ Do we have to recruit immediately? Should we recruit immediately?
3/ Will/could the monies be ploughed back into the clubs coffers?
4/ Are we allowed a marquee player under the laws of salary capping?
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Abendonan would be a good fit with SB?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Johnnyg wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:04 am
Traveller wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 am
Johnnyg wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:19 pm

Reasonableness is irrelevant. The issue is what is the club obliged to pay in salary and for how long and what are the obligations of the respective parties. Force majeure can only be relevant while the season is suspended and not in relation to future obligations and may well not apply anyway. I don’t need to see these particular contracts to know that there is never ever ever a clause in such a contract allowing the paying party to be entitled to renegotiate based on impecuniosity.
Thanks. As I said above I am not a lawyer and so I have only had experience of employment issues within businesses I'm involved with and none have been connected to professional sport. However I do have direct experience of companies I've been involved with as a Non-Exec invoking salary cut. The companies were taken to tribunal, sued for constructive dismissal, and on every occasion the complainants lost on the grounds described above, in one case even though the tribunal found the company had not applied its own policies when making the cuts. This was post financial crash. So my question is, what is it precisely in the nature of a sports contract held by the famous 5 (6) that makes them different. Genuine question. I know I don't know, and it is clear that experts in the legal profession are going public saying that they will have a claim. What's the exact difference?
I think the difference here and where Tigers are vulnerable is that the only reason the players are being stood down (if what we read is correct) is because they refuse to agree less advantageous contract terms. For most employees if you get paid for not working you’re not at a huge disadvantage, but for a professional sportsman with a very short career and huge collateral benefits attached to the club career (international caps with £25k per match fees, sponsorship deals etc) being stood down can wreck a career. I’m not saying this is clear cut, but it’s not like a standard employment contract where merely paying someone is sometimes enough to avoid constructive dismissal arguments.
You mention huge collateral benefits. Of the 6 players involved, only one will be affected by that, Tuilagi, and the only contract I’m aware he has is Adidas. We are not in the international season and he has been stood down by Tigers, so there is nothing saying England couldn’t pick him. The only other current international is TV and I think you play for Tonga, for love and the stash.
Remember this isn’t football, thousands of people all over the world don’t buy shirts with your name on the back.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

wellstiger wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:06 am Abendonan would be a good fit with SB?
Years deal he would be ideal
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

glenn wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:15 am I also wonder if any.... Such as Greg might be on a pay as you play deal, or similar. Something might have been offered say a base rate per month then £n when they play. This.Might not sit right with the players who have been stood down. Especially someone like Eastmond who has been injured alot
I have a suspicion some players may have been able to use the situation to leave the club. Bateman’s situation (for example) has been well documented and his family are in the SW so there’s a chance he may have wanted to move on rather than take an even further extended contract on worse terms.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

I demand that we sign anyone who’s first name is Jeronimo!!!!
jauzy19
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by jauzy19 »

If i understand you are looking for a prop (LH or TH ?), a centre and a fullback.

Main players out of contrat in France :

- Prop : Uhila (LH, Clermont), Van Dyk (TH, Toulouse), Puafisi (both sides, La Rochelle), A. Brown (TH, Perpignan)

- Centre : Dunbar (Brive), Ebersohn (Castres), Mapoe (Stade Français), Rasolea (Grenoble)

- Fullback : Abendanon (Clermont), H. Bonneval (Toulon), Fall (Montpellier, likely staying in France at Béziers), Murimurivalu (La Rochelle), Combrick (Stade Français), R. Scholes (Brive)
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am I demand that we sign anyone who’s first name is Jeronimo!!!!
With Lady Ga Ga - Harry Potter and Jeronimo we could have movie rites :smt030
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

De la Fuente looks right up our street. Hope he comes.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Where would we stand in terms of overseas players for the 20/21 season with all of the Argentinian and various other overseas players fitting in to the regulations?
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

wellstiger wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:26 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am I demand that we sign anyone who’s first name is Jeronimo!!!!
With Lady Ga Ga - Harry Potter and Jeronimo we could have movie rites :smt030
It’s still not as good as Rowntree, Jelley and Gustard.......