LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

HarryTigerFan

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by HarryTigerFan »

Moving away from all the sad news about players being stood down and so on! From his interview with LTTV I think Matt Scott could be a real asset for us moving forward. He has 2 years under Cockers learning the Leicester way and will be available all year round. I don't want to 'shout before I can talk' but potentially a very good signing!!
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

RichieB wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:54 pm Anyway, moving away from Manu, it seems like Gigena should be due back once he can get his visa sorted.
Now that is good news!!!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that one or more of the players will stay on the books and take the money instead of finding a new club.

Eastmond, Bateman and Reid are all 30/31 and might decide that with a year or two left on their contracts and probably little prospect of achieving anything major that they haven't previously, the best option is to take the money and use the time to start or continue preparing for life after rugby, especially if interesting offers aren't forthcoming.

I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but it isn't completely inconceivable.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:27 am I wouldn't rule out the possibility that one or more of the players will stay on the books and take the money instead of finding a new club.

Eastmond, Bateman and Reid are all 30/31 and might decide that with a year or two left on their contracts and probably little prospect of achieving anything major that they haven't previously, the best option is to take the money and use the time to start or continue preparing for life after rugby, especially if interesting offers aren't forthcoming.

Only if they haven't already burnt their bridges......
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm assuming they are all off at this point.
and after all this mess I just don't know if I want them back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

fentiger wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:38 am
Tiglon wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:27 am I wouldn't rule out the possibility that one or more of the players will stay on the books and take the money instead of finding a new club.

Only if they haven't already burnt their bridges......
What I mean is they are still employed by the club and still getting paid, they have just been "stood down" so not training or playing etc. Unless they find another club and ask to leave, I'm pretty sure they are still entitled to get paid for the remainder of their contracts.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerMac3 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:34 pm A few positives to take from the LTTV interview.

Taufua still 50/50? Would have thought that he would of been one of the two that Geordy mentioned he'd heard 'had already signed contract's in France'; however, I thought he came across pretty confident about the idea of keeping Taufua - at least for another year. That being said, coincidence that Taufua posted an interview on his instagram account today seemingly 'showcasing' his availability...

I'm confused around the 15 re-signings comment. Are these 'new' additions? Surely, as per the AP interview in the week, if these were re-signings, it would be a larger number than 15, given that she said that the rest of the first team squad had agreed to the 25% (+12.5%) reductions?
Re -signings by their definition are not new additions unless of course they previously left the club and have been re-signed. Given the fact that the club announced 5 players have been stood down It stands to reason that the 15 are not all players that have left the club and been re-signed save possibly a number of players from that 5.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

happywomble wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:22 am
RichieB wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:54 pm Anyway, moving away from Manu, it seems like Gigena should be due back once he can get his visa sorted.
Now that is good news!!!
Thats always been the case, and that why he left and went to Argentina some 5 months ago now and sadly the club still has no idea as to when he will return.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:41 am I'm assuming they are all off at this point.
Yes, there must be at least SOME trust lost!
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Didn’t we stand down Lachlan McCaffrey?

If I remember rightly we paid his salary till he got a new contract elsewhere.

If that’s the case those players are in our cap and being paid till they re-sign with another club or decide not to take the money.

The reason for this is it minimises potential legal costs if they take you to court.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

sapajo wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:47 am
TigerMac3 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:34 pm A few positives to take from the LTTV interview.

Taufua still 50/50? Would have thought that he would of been one of the two that Geordy mentioned he'd heard 'had already signed contract's in France'; however, I thought he came across pretty confident about the idea of keeping Taufua - at least for another year. That being said, coincidence that Taufua posted an interview on his instagram account today seemingly 'showcasing' his availability...

I'm confused around the 15 re-signings comment. Are these 'new' additions? Surely, as per the AP interview in the week, if these were re-signings, it would be a larger number than 15, given that she said that the rest of the first team squad had agreed to the 25% (+12.5%) reductions?
Re -signings by their definition are not new additions unless of course they previously left the club and have been re-signed. Given the fact that the club announced 5 players have been stood down It stands to reason that the 15 are not all players that have left the club and been re-signed save possibly a number of players from that 5.
I take it to mean they are the players Andrea referred to as 15/16 players who have signed new longer term contracts
As Good As It Gets
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

All very well being stood down. I'm not sure that Eastmond and more so Reid ever actually arrived.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:41 am I'm assuming they are all off at this point.
I’m with RB on this one. Let them all go and let’s move on.
A2O
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Tend to agree and just watched GM interview on LTTV. He was clear they were stood down, not coming to training etc, and then said words to the effect that they were at home to reflect on their actions. It sounds like the door is still open but Monday is the decision day. Personally I would have stuck with the Tuesday deadline.
As Good As It Gets
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

HarryTigerFan wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:18 am Moving away from all the sad news about players being stood down and so on! From his interview with LTTV I think Matt Scott could be a real asset for us moving forward. He has 2 years under Cockers learning the Leicester way and will be available all year round. I don't want to 'shout before I can talk' but potentially a very good signing!!
Gives me strong Anthony Allen vibes. Looks like he could be a real rock for us.