LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:16 am For purely sun speculation and off the top of my head players without contracts elsewhere still.
Not knowing who else might be available I would take as short term replacements with potential to extend
Bateman - Someone like Mulipola
Taufua - IDK someone like Gibbins or Dominiko Waqaniburotu
Manu - JJ Engelbrecht or Robert Ebersohn
Reid - I think Henry coming up doesn't need replacing
Eastmond - Again short term don't think needs replacing
Veainu - Niyi Adeolokun or Tom Homer (Pipe dream but potentially Savea, who NZ don't seem very quick to pick up currently)

But will see what Murphy, Jan and Borthwick says about this hopefully tomorrow.
Honestly if Taufua is gone it seems like the perfect scenario for both Tigers, Eddie & the RFU to try to get Hoskins Sotutu, I would have thought Taufua's wages (even with the 25% reduction) would be hard to resist for a 21 year old on Super Rugby money, as for the Manu sized gap in the squad i've always been a fan of Vince Aso at the Hurricanes, would be a fair bit cheaper than Manu as well
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

That would be a nice coup, mate over in NZ rates him, not seen him myself
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Assuming he wants to play for England
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:16 am For purely sun speculation and off the top of my head players without contracts elsewhere still.
Not knowing who else might be available I would take as short term replacements with potential to extend
Veainu - Niyi Adeolokun or Tom Homer (Pipe dream but potentially Savea, who NZ don't seem very quick to pick up currently)

Honestly if Taufua is gone it seems like the perfect scenario for both Tigers, Eddie & the RFU to try to get Hoskins Sotutu, I would have thought Taufua's wages (even with the 25% reduction) would be hard to resist for a 21 year old on Super Rugby money, as for the Manu sized gap in the squad i've always been a fan of Vince Aso at the Hurricanes, would be a fair bit cheaper than Manu as well
The main obstacle could be not knowing how much money is going to be available once compensation, legal fees and contractual obligations have been met.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 am Assuming he wants to play for England
If money played no object then its a no brainer for him to go for NZ, No8 isn't a locked down position for them now Reid has retired + he is NZ born and bred.

That said he seemed pretty open minded in a recent article I read in regards to which International side he would like to represent, when you add a hefty wage increase plus the potential for £25,000 a game for England that may be enough to sway his mind, maybe its unlikely but I don't think its impossible
Moose
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Moose »

As has been said though, it's a finite career, and ££s talk, hence the reason we're having the discussion in the first place. Sotutu may be tempted to play for England over NZ it pays off financially.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

If Taufua is gone that is the priority fill, followed by new knees for Taute.
Prop needs looking at but that is very much tied in with Gigena.
We could do with some pace maybe in the backs, but there is some youngsters that need to be given a crack, Vince Aso is a good shout, got a bit of toe as well, but I am sure we can find an outside back in NZ at a reasonable price, not a project or a pension case either.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Nothing to worry about, just bring the academy players through over the next three years once they announce a ring fenced premiership :smt002
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:08 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:05 am Whatever has gone on is really none of our concern. It should remain Private and confidential and will follow its course to a conclusion at some point in time.
It's too late to lock the stables door the the Horse have bolted and and gone into next doors field.
The trouble is there's a Raging Bull in next door's field. :smt003

Sorry. That was bad !!
As Good As It Gets
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Leicester Tigers have welcomed outside-back David Williams to the club on loan from Nottingham Rugby.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

What worries me is that with Veainu and Holmes gone, we only have Worth as a dedicated full back. Yes Taute and Olowofela can supposedly play there, but I would them as more centre and wing.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:29 am
That would be a nice coup, mate over in NZ rates him, not seen him myself
Saw a bit of him in the games after lockdown. It's not if he plays international rugby it's when. Seems to have the lot. Wouldn't the be the first time we've seen a one season wonder though. Second season is always tougher. He'd be a risk but one worth taking if we could whether he wants to is a completely different matter. Unless his mum is from Leicestershire we might be a tough sell.
kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 am

Matt Proctor allegedly wanted £400k to move to Scotland before signing for Saints and getting the salary he wanted. I can't find the interview with the coach that said it now but was making the point that signings Kiwis wasn't as cheap as you think. Kiwis also count as foreign players if they don't have a second nationality ala Taufua with Samoa or Sotutu with England/Fiji.

A cheap international centre would be someone like Alex Dunbar who I think is still looking for work have been released by Brive.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

rich1576 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:17 am What worries me is that with Veainu and Holmes gone, we only have Worth as a dedicated full back. Yes Taute and Olowofela can supposedly play there, but I would them as more centre and wing.
Steward as well. Simmons can play there as I think can Zach Henry. Certainly another body in that position would help though.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

RichieB wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 am Leicester Tigers have welcomed outside-back David Williams to the club on loan from Nottingham Rugby.
Some very telling words in our DORs quote..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:17 am A cheap international centre would be someone like Alex Dunbar who I think is still looking for work have been released by Brive.
I've been a big fan of Dunbar for much of his career but injuries really caught up with him, hence struggling for contracts recently. The physicality and ruck work has really reduced with injuries. A few Glasgow fans I know have been half waiting to hear about an early retirement for a few seasons now. A real shame as he was a rock at 12 at his best.

Shortly before the loan deal with Falcons I saw him live in a Scottish Premiership game trying to get some game time for fitness. He was probably the 3rd most effective centre on the pitch in a semi-pro game. The two who outshone him were a Scotland age grade player and a former BUCS star so very talented young players but shouldn't be outplaying an international.