Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by RagingBull »

I'm a big fan of Manu.
But I do think with hindsight that 2013 contract seemed to be the beginning of the end for us and squad balance Saracens bumping up our price massively starting really the big surge of player wages.
Then Worcester, Toulouse and Wasps massively bump up the price again, despite Manu playing what 10 games in 2 seasons?
Again Manu coming back into some form Racing once again bumps up the price further.
All pretty clear by recent news that his camp like to leak stories as well.

I struggle to see what other side of the story Freddie is talking about?
Maybe Tigers low balled him let's say 50% off or something, it would still be around £250,000 for 12 months rugby (nearly 21,000 a month), still one of our highest earners. Even 75% is £125,000.
Granted I don't think he owes us loyalty but I would really like to know Freddie other side of the story, because they have never seem to be flexible when it comes to contract talks (which is their right). Especially since I doubt he had any intention to stay after the lions tour.
Last edited by RagingBull on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:39 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:34 am I see Freddie has posted a cryptic message on Twitter

"If you don't know the whole story then shut up"
What is there to know? Tigers asked Manu to take a wage cut and he refused. End of.
How about all the assumptions/insinuations on here that it is Freddie that has been leaking everything to the media for one.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Kerevi would be nice but a pipe-dream, alternatively TJ Faiane of the Blues would be a shrewd signing and is a very underrated inside centre.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Whatever has gone on is really none of our concern. It should remain Private and confidential and will follow its course to a conclusion at some point in time.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:42 am
TigerTom15 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:32 am Lots of ifs, buts, maybes and wild speculation but...

Assuming all six named players are leaving the club, and assuming the club will now look for replacements, there should be roughly the following available budget (back-of-the-fag-packet, off-the-top-of-my-head figures assuming Manu was on 500k as widely reported and working backwards from there):

Manu - £500,000
Taufua - £300,000
Veainu - £250,000
Bateman - £150,000
Eastmond - £150,000
Reid - £100,000
Total - £1,450,000
Total minus 25% pay cut - £1,087,000

That's a lot of money to be playing with.

Now assuming the club wants to use all of that money for replacements, that would roughly equate to two international superstars, three good established international players, or four very good club players. At this late stage, I would think maybe we might not see all (or any) of the replacements signed for the 2019/20 season but instead they would come for the start of the 2020/21 season in November, which would open up possibilities for Super Rugby signings.

So what does the club absolutely urgently need? Probably a centre (preferably 12), a back row (preferably 8) and a prop (preferably loosehead).

This of course is not taking into account any players that were already signed and and not yet announced.
Urgent as in for this season
I think 13 would be more urgent than a 12
Prop all depends on Gigena for me.
Certainly need a 15 or wing.
Even if Gigena is back that leaves us with 5 senior props. We really need 6, that being said there's quality props in the Championship we could acquire cost effectively to fill out the squad. If our relationship with Notts is good we might be able to loan from them as well.

A centre and a fullback/wing/utility back are a must. If we could get a 13 and then a 10/12/15 that would be pretty useful. Move away from a creative 12 to a second playmaker at 15 like we had under Cockers
post Mauger when Murphy was 15. Sarries have made that system work very well.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I think as RB mentioned 13 to me is a priority, we have Taute, though he is injury prone and I think Scott has played 13 too, it’s Kelly’s natural position but he is young.
Off the top of my head match day 23, assuming all signings available could look something like:

Genge, Youngs, Cole, Lavanini, Envers, Liebenberg, Reffell, Brink
Youngs, Ford, Nandolo, Scott, Taute, Olowefela, Steward.

Kerr, Lady Gaga, Hayes, Wells, Lewis, White, Hardwick, Henry
Last edited by Mark62 on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Anybody got The Times or a subscription? I'd like to know what Barnes has being saying about the situation this morning. It seems to be more about whether he could go to France or not (from the para tha I can see) and still play for England, but I'd also like to know whether he has taken yet another opportunity to stick the boot into us! :smt003
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Not a great fan of 'move on' but here it seems appropriate. The fallout will rumble on, commonsense may well prevail, lawyers will get rich.
Meanwhile, the new coaching team has a canvas to work, with no immediate consequences.
I'm OK with it. Not deliriously happy, but OK. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:05 am Whatever has gone on is really none of our concern. It should remain Private and confidential and will follow its course to a conclusion at some point in time.
It's too late to lock the stables door the the Horse have bolted and and gone into next doors field.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:58 am
ay2oh wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:39 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:34 am I see Freddie has posted a cryptic message on Twitter

"If you don't know the whole story then shut up"
What is there to know? Tigers asked Manu to take a wage cut and he refused. End of.
How about all the assumptions/insinuations on here that it is Freddie that has been leaking everything to the media for one.
Could well be, but unfortunately his reputation comes before him, and people will make that assumption
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:07 am I think as RB mentioned 13 to me is a priority, we have Taute, though he is injury prone and I think Stewart has played 13 too, it’s Kelly’s natural position but he is young.
Off the top of my head match day 23, assuming all signings available could look something like:

Youngs, Ford, Nandolo, Stewart, Taute, Olowefela, Steward.

Scott? Mamu?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MCC1964 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:07 am Anybody got The Times or a subscription? I'd like to know what Barnes has being saying about the situation this morning. It seems to be more about whether he could go to France or not (from the para tha I can see) and still play for England, but I'd also like to know whether he has taken yet another opportunity to stick the boot into us! :smt003
Jones seems to have got involved, but it would be a major shift in policy if he went to France and still played test rugby, also how willing his new employer would be to release him when required
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:09 am
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:07 am I think as RB mentioned 13 to me is a priority, we have Taute, though he is injury prone and I think Stewart has played 13 too, it’s Kelly’s natural position but he is young.

Youngs, Ford, Nandolo, Stewart, Taute, Olowefela, Steward.

Scott? Mamu?
My apologies I got my Scott and Stewart mixed up, I will edit , perm 2 from 3 for the hookers,
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

For purely sun speculation and off the top of my head players without contracts elsewhere still.
Not knowing who else might be available I would take as short term replacements with potential to extend
Bateman - Someone like Mulipola
Taufua - IDK someone like Gibbins or Dominiko Waqaniburotu
Manu - JJ Engelbrecht or Robert Ebersohn
Reid - I think Henry coming up doesn't need replacing
Eastmond - Again short term don't think needs replacing
Veainu - Niyi Adeolokun or Tom Homer (Pipe dream but potentially Savea, who NZ don't seem very quick to pick up currently)

But will see what Murphy, Jan and Borthwick says about this hopefully tomorrow.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

In my defence, I was left unsupervised….