LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Scuttle »

The old saying 'you get a different result if you iron a dirty shirt, than when you iron a shirt that has been washed" is apt. It could just be that whilst some other clubs are making short term decisions to alleviate the pain, the Leicester Board might be credited for washing their shirt before ironing it. I hope so. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have worked alot over the years with large groups in public engagement activities. At the start of every session I make 2 points. Firstly I say you might not agree with everything we are doing but if you leave here understanding why we are doing it that is still a good outcome. Secondly that the right decision is not always popular and the popular decision is not always right. I think Tigers, and particularly Andrea last night, have operated to similar themes and I support their approach.
As Good As It Gets
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Scuttle wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:02 pm The old saying 'you get a different result if you iron a dirty shirt, than when you iron a shirt that has been washed" is apt. It could just be that whilst some other clubs are making short term decisions to alleviate the pain, the Leicester Board might be credited for washing their shirt before ironing it. I hope so. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I have worked alot over the years with large groups in public engagement activities. At the start of every session I make 2 points. Firstly I say you might not agree with everything we are doing but if you leave here understanding why we are doing it that is still a good outcome. Secondly that the right decision is not always popular and the popular decision is not always right. I think Tigers, and particularly Andrea last night, have operated to similar themes and I support their approach.
:smt038
manxleigh

Post by manxleigh »

Cant get my head round all of this.

I don't blame players for seeking the very best deals for themselves, due to the short nature of a professional players career. I don't think loyalty runs that deep in professional sport, as it is now such a business (see football).

The players mentioned as leaving are possible starters, but don't regularly due to intl. commitments or injuries, so I can't see that we have actually lost that much. Would love to see Jordan stay (if he is going?) but the others I just don't care too much about.

We have to think the bigger and longer term picture as to what is right for the club. Yes we could stick a plaster over the Manu situation, but we would only be in the same position in 12/24 months time.

Im really looking forward to the new era of coaches and players.
keep dreaming and you'll keep wondering
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Traveller wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:47 am The old saying 'you get a different result if you iron a dirty shirt, than when you iron a shirt that has been washed" is apt. It could just be that whilst some other clubs are making short term decisions to alleviate the pain, the Leicester Board might be credited for washing their shirt before ironing it. I hope so. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Come on Tigers.
You can get non-iron shirts now.

:smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Fuming about Manu,after all weve done for him! Oh well,we move on....
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Scuttle, Very well put I fully agree :smt038
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://twitter.com/foychris/status/127 ... 42306?s=21

Wonder who requested the extension?
Naughty agent?
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am Could I just ask those posters who are constantly criticising the club for the way they have handled this to explain what they would like to have happened instead? I would be interested in hearing an alternative approach.

Playing it out in the press is not great but it has been determined that this wasn’t the club, so how would those criticising the approach have looked to repair the damage of losing £5 million and counting?

Anybody.........?
The club/board have been getting grief but acted completely responsibly and fairly in my opinion. ALL staff outside of the Academy were offered the same deal - 5 decided they didn't want to - fair enough but the club or board did not create a global pandemic and some may need to look at the real world before criticising the club.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am Could I just ask those posters who are constantly criticising the club for the way they have handled this to explain what they would like to have happened instead? I would be interested in hearing an alternative approach.

Playing it out in the press is not great but it has been determined that this wasn’t the club, so how would those criticising the approach have looked to repair the damage of losing £5 million and counting?

Anybody.........?
Don't quote a list of 5 players leaving if the list actually has 6 on it.

Especially not if the 6th is your marquee player.

And if it's still unconfirmed because of reasons, that's fine, just tell us it's unconfirmed.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Anybody.........?

And if it's still unconfirmed because of reasons, that's fine, just tell us it's unconfirmed.
As per Chris Foy’s tweet.
Someone requested an extension on behalf of Taufua without his knowledge.

So someone made the club look like mugs.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

It's still a :censored mess about Taufua!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:39 pm

Anybody.........?

I would say it's a very good example of the club not wanting to put any pressure on any players by allowing them any time and anonymity that they may require.
Sure you want to know ASAP, so do I, but we have to respect people's privacy.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

BFG wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm
Traveller wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:47 am The old saying 'you get a different result if you iron a dirty shirt, than when you iron a shirt that has been washed" is apt. It could just be that whilst some other clubs are making short term decisions to alleviate the pain, the Leicester Board might be credited for washing their shirt before ironing it. I hope so. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Come on Tigers.

Otherwise know as Saracens.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Traveller wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 pm
BFG wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Come on Tigers.

Otherwise know as Saracens.
:smt005
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:05 am What was Manu rumoured to be on, £550k? :smt017 Pretty sure we would be able to pick up Kerevi, Kruindrani, Kriel or Am for £400k. Plenty of very good options at 13 out there which I’m sure McGinty is already on the case.
I'm sure you are right about that. But not his name. It's McGinity. He doesn't own a goat, as far as I am aware.

I'll get my coat....
Hi I do coats but I do not do goats ~ Sorry! :smt045
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!