LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by sapajo »

I think its not a given that those star players leaving will be replaced with players of similar quality if at all. Money is at the heart of this so the club may choose to keep it.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Losing most of our attacking talent in one announcement feels about right for the way things have been going in recent years. It has struck home to me and I suspect many others what a strange and scary period this is going to be for domestic rugby.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:23 pm I’m certain there will be many players also stood down perhaps on principal both here and abroad, that may now have to accept lesser contracts rather than face being without a club.
It’s just going to be a bit of a merry go round.
I see it as a chance for GM and SB to shuffle the deck as they see fit, and having salary of JT, MT and TV to play with will allow plenty of flex.
I agree. The problem facing SB et al is that they will have to make quick decisions based on the squad's collective ability on paper rather than the proper test of competitive of game time. Available players just won't hang around and wait to be approached in due course.

Another factor is that Tigers have now lost, in May, Tuilagi and Veainu, arguably the players credited most for putting bums on seats and selling shirts. How is the vacuum left by their departure to be filled - not just creatively on the field but commercially?
This is the problem with evaluating top players in terms of matches played, tries scored and time spent injured or away on international duty - there is a bigger picture which needs to be appreciated when you're operating an elite sporting business in a highly competitive market.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess there are an abundance of top quality centres out there?

Reid and Eastmond are probably no great loss on the form they have shown but Manu and Vianu?
As for Taufua he's the only back row who has looked like he is worth his place in a top of the table side.

Tigers are either skint or delusional.

Have they forgotten we have been consistently the worse side over the past 2 seasons and only stayed up by fluke last season and by Sarries being punished this season.
We are no longer top side and will struggle so sign players on the cheap. Struggle to find sponsors sa few will want to watch us play the likes of Worcester or Newcastle next season.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

There's no confirmation of who has left. All the pessimism should be left until we actually know who we are and aren't losing.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Really disappointed about Taufua, almost on the verge of anger, if it is true but I will wait until any official confirmation.

Not surprised with Manu he’s always been like this especially with Uncle Fred as his agent.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Louis

Post by Louis »

May gone. Tuilagi gone. Veainu gone.

That is a LOT of firepower to lose from a team. Let alone a struggling team.

Bateman, and Taufua are no slouches either! (Deliberate understatement)

I don't like how the club is treating players, and I don't like how it's been done for a while. In the absence of actual proof (as opposed to a suspicion/assumption) of a financial existential crisis at the club, the taste I get from how players are being treated is a bad one. Tigers have had a few quid for a while, despite no billionaires, I find it more than a little disappointing that this line has been taken with players. I don't expect the players alone to have been so recalcitrant. Other clubs seem to be managing this crisis better.

Gut feeling, something stinks. Although I should probably not try to smell things with my gut...
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:46 pm Really disappointed about Taufua, almost on the verge of anger, if it is true but I will wait until any official confirmation.
Yes I agree especially as he has recently returned from NZ after the club granted him leave to go. He has played a mere handful of games for us post arrival but his quality was there for us all to see. He is a player that gives his all every time he takes the field. Not many players you can say that about save Fordy.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would be very very surprised if we will sign replacement for this season.
Only maybe a prop depending on Gigena.

Although there are some interesting players on the market.
But really would only want something like 4 month contracts at first if possible.
Robert Ebersohn
JJ Engelbrecht
Would be good Outside centre covers.

Niyi Adeolokuni, Tom Homer, Tommy Bell back 3 covers.

But would rather we were more patient and more strategic, especially with Outside centre a position which we haven't really gotten the most of of since Manu and Allen partnership.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the club can't release them, they cannot afford to, to just release them you have to pay the full value of their contracts up in one lump sum
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm the club can't release them, they cannot afford to, to just release them you have to pay the full value of their contracts up in one lump sum
Depends on if they can get contracts elsewhere.
Beizers can easily match Tuilagi and Taufua.
Veainu should be also be able to get his pick.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm the club can't release them, they cannot afford to, to just release them you have to pay the full value of their contracts up in one lump sum
Expect if they find a different club that ‘breaks’ the contract, until then imagine have to pay them in full even though not training/playing.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I don't understand either the anger at the club or at the players. If the club can't afford to pay the salaries then they have no choice - they are certainly not delusional for dealing with it. The delusional thing to do would be to keep all the players on full salaries knowing the money simply isn't there. I doubt anyone at Tigers is saying "This is a good opportunity to get rid of some of our best players, we don't need them anyway" but it is simply what needs to be done.

Similarly, how many of us would just accept a very large pay cut out of loyalty? Rejecting a pay cut isn't proof of a bad attitude, it's about looking after yourself and your family. Nothing wrong with that.

Like I posted before, there are no heroes or villains, it's just a tough situation for everyone involved. Bearing that in mind, I don;t see the need to make personal criticisms of anyone involved. I've been in similar situations over the last few months and I promise you it isn't easy for anyone on either side of the table.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Od that Saints can keep it all together?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well look at the saints squad.
How many current internationals in it?

Biggar
Lawes
Hutchinson (who is a young player from their academy)
Procter (Not current, but he also is one of Boyd's guys)

Now look at Tigers
Genge
Cole
Lavanini
Youngs
Ford
Tuilagi
Veainu

Tell me which team do you think would be harder to negotiate.
Saints also lost Ben Franks, Cobus Reinach, Brussow 3 big money players.

It really isn't that odd that they held onto them.