LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Tigerbeat »

Cohen had the Legal knowledge when it came to contracts.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

rdracup wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:17 pm In this situation a player going into this without an employment / contract lawyer’s advice would be akin to facing Archer without a box.
If you or your agent doesn't have the necessary knowledge or skills connected with specific HR employment law then you engage external advice. You'd be stupid not too.

- Players felt frustrated by the aggressive and threatening nature of discussions - in their opinion and there are 2 sides to this story

- Tuilagi and Taufua now being spoken about by French club presidents - obviously no knowledge whether they are actually having negotiations with them tho?

It is what it is and it'll be what it'll be. Some people need to relax and calm down a bit over this. If players think they can get a better deal elsewhere in the current climate, then let them crack on and pursue it. Grass isn't always greener?

Fact is that the club is in a dire financial situation which it needs to protect for the long term benefit of the club; if a few players fall by the wayside as a result so be it.

Just remember alongside all of this - the club are making 31 hard working, decent, loyal employees redundant as a result of the situation - people from the commercial department, the ticket office, the training ground, the stadium, whereever it is. People who have families to feed and mortgages to pay. Wish them all the best of luck for the future.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Like others have said, the reason it's in the news, is because the news outlets deem it worthy of reporting. Take it as a compliment that we are still a big club.

I'll miss Manu, but he was always gonna go at some point. I'll miss TV because he's great and came here because he's a Tigers fan. I'll miss Taufua because he's what we've been missing for a while. The other i probably won't miss.

End of the day though, if we can't afford them any more, we can't afford them!
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

I can’t help thinking that all the noise around this in the media is coming from a small number of sources.
Maybe it is Freddie, who as Manu’s agent is trying to get him the best deal. If true, spilling stuff is not in anyone’s interest, club, player or agent.
It’s only my opinion, for one I will no doubt be shot down in flames for, but I feel that we may have seen the best of Manu a number of years ago. When he was starting out and playing alongside Alesana he was a real game changer. The exuberance if youth, his speed and line breaking runs were fantastic to watch. Of late, in between his considerable injury layoffs, other teams appear to have worked him out and he is nowhere near as devastating as he once was. He’s a very expensive asset, given the limited game time due to time away with England and injury and maybe the club’s limited funds could be better spent elsewhere.
Freddie, as his agent, sees a revenue stream for him with limited time in it. The younger Tuilagis don’t seem to have made the impression on the Premiership that Manu did/has. I really hope that any media leaks haven’t come from Mr T.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

WirralExile wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:31 pm I can’t help thinking that all the noise around this in the media is coming from a small number of sources.
Maybe it is Freddie, who as Manu’s agent is trying to get him the best deal. If true, spilling stuff is not in anyone’s interest, club, player or agent.
It’s only my opinion, for one I will no doubt be shot down in flames for, but I feel that we may have seen the best of Manu a number of years ago. When he was starting out and playing alongside Alesana he was a real game changer. The exuberance if youth, his speed and line breaking runs were fantastic to watch. Of late, in between his considerable injury layoffs, other teams appear to have worked him out and he is nowhere near as devastating as he once was. He’s a very expensive asset, given the limited game time due to time away with England and injury and maybe the club’s limited funds could be better spent elsewhere.
Freddie, as his agent, sees a revenue stream for him with limited time in it. The younger Tuilagis don’t seem to have made the impression on the Premiership that Manu did/has. I really hope that any media leaks haven’t come from Mr T.
Certainly agree with your comments about Manu. IMO he is no longer in the 10 best 13s in the world, still a very good player and those who talk about potential Lions tours I think he’ll be lucky to make the plane.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I really hope that any media leaks haven’t come from Mr T.
I pitty the fool, if they have....
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

happywomble wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:45 pm Bateman gone apprarently?

https://lastwordonrugby.com/2020/07/01/ ... -disputes/
Well, as one of the instigators......
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Yet again news coming from external sources first and not the club. This is very dissapointing
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:24 pm Yet again news coming from external sources first and not the club. This is very dissapointing
I cant understand why it is disappointing. The Club appear to be trying to deal with the issues around players and also other Staff and I am sure that once any deadlines (apparently in place) have gone a Statement will be made with the full picture, rather than a running commentary or drip feed of news.
These are sensitive issues and affect the lives of those concerned. If they want to make it public, that is their prerogative.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sapajo wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:24 pm Yet again news coming from external sources first and not the club. This is very disappointing
The club has extended the deadline for players to re-negotiate contracts until 5pm tomorrow. They will confirm all after that point. The press have been all over this since someone from inside the situation squealed to the press. The article about Bateman is still speculation as there's no official source from the player or from the club.

Tigers will confirm where we are at before the week is out, of that I'm certain. Until then, the press will be what they will be.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Surprised I'm the first to mention this as its been up for over an hour on the Tigers Twitter feed:

Tonight, CEO Andrea Pinchen will answer questions regarding the clubs statement made earlier today, club activities in recent weeks...

And much more.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It's pretty obvious Bateman leaked this piece of news.
Nothing the club can do if that happens.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Whatever squabbles are going on between players and the club were inevitable as I am sure has happened at many other clubs. Whether it has been dealt with poorly by the club (the manner it was communicated) may or may not be the case. The announcement earlier today makes it as clear as it can at this point in time.
If the announcement had been made last week, for example, when the situation was coming to a head, then I think it would have saved a lot of speculation and anxiety - this then is my only criticism of the club at this time based on what I have seen.
30 odd redundancies amongst the staff put into perspective some of the players dissatisfaction, so if Bateman and others wish to be released from their contracts then let them go and let us rebuild.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

6 players have been stood down including Manu.

https://twitter.com/BBCRLSport/status/1 ... 1416540162