LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:38 pm Do some of these players have the same agent??
I know that Freddie Tuilagi has represented other south sea island origin players. Whether he represents any of the other 5 of the named 6 I don’t know.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Still plenty of time until the revised deadline of 5pm tomorrow. There may well be some surprises yet.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Traveller wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:40 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 pm I won't be overcome with grief if we lose Manu. Great player though he is, his performances for Tigers have, in recent years, never matched those of when he is wearing an England shirt. Injuries have plagued him, and then those absences when playing Internationals.

I don't really think he is good value for us these days, and his leaving would release quite a large chunk of money for us to recruit a couple of quality players.
Agree entirely. Not sure if it was just the paucity of coaching at club level but all he ever seemed to do with us was clear out at the breakdown. I obviously exaggerate, but he certainly hasn't been the imperious talisman, midfield destroyer with us over the last few year than he has been with England. There is also a nagging sense that he is now part of the past, when what Tigers need to do and are well positioned to do under an excellent new coaching regime is to redefine themselves. IF we can keep the pack together I think we'll be in much better shape than we have been. There should be spare cap to re-jigg things. I just hope we can keep a) Lavannini, b) Taufua c) Leibenberg. It will be a shame to see the Leicester Tigers - Tuilagi chain broken though.
Maybe the Tuilagis were counting on the view that, like foundations, they will always be needed at WR and expected the club to agree to their wishes.
As Good As It Gets
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:21 pm Still plenty of time until the revised deadline of 5pm tomorrow. There may well be some surprises yet.
Agreed, I heard most parties still wanted to stay, just trying to finalise terms. Although with today’s announcement we’ll probably see some players still leave.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

There is an article in the Telegraph stating that players had instructed lawyers and are speaking to other clubs.
Manu, Taufua, Reid, Bateman, TV and Eastomnd are mentioned.
It will be interesting what the thoughts of Borthwick are. He knew he had his work cut out but i will imagine this is a bit bonus he could have done without. I would like keep Taufua out of all the mentioned players. He appears to be aggressive and close to world class.
But the club has to cut its cloth accordingly. So if we lose them but keep afloat then would rather take that. It is not what we needed but in the long term for both the club and rugby it sorts things out, then there are plenty more people in a worse state.
The thing that sticks in the craw most is how this is being leaked and is all over the press. Not particuarly classy who ever is leaking it, be it a player with a grudge, a player looking for a bigger or contract or an agent. Not how buisness should be done.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:34 pm There is an article in the Telegraph stating that players had instructed lawyers and are speaking to other clubs.
It will be interesting what the thoughts of Borthwick are. He knew he had his work cut out but i will imagine this is a bit bonus he could have done without. I would like keep Taufua out of all the mentioned players. He appears to be aggressive and close to world class.
But the club has to cut its cloth accordingly. So if we lose them but keep afloat then would rather take that. It is not what we needed but in the long term for both the club and rugby it sorts things out, then there are plenty more people in a worse state.
The thing that sticks in the craw most is how this is being leaked and is all over the press. Not particuarly classy who ever is leaking it, be it a player with a grudge, a player looking for a bigger or contract or an agent. Not how buisness should be done.
No, it's not 'how things should be done' - Sale and Saints have have been much classier.

Doubtless many will disagree but I suspect this would have been far better handled had Simon Cohen been allowed to do it with minimal interference from Peter Tom.

[ducks]
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'd like to think the player or the player whose agent has sought to stir the pot is on that list of leavers. Good riddance if so.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:21 pm Still plenty of time until the revised deadline of 5pm tomorrow. There may well be some surprises yet.
I'd hope for two, me old. Taufua and TV.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:39 pm
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:34 pm There is an article in the Telegraph stating that players had instructed lawyers and are speaking to other clubs.
No, it's not 'how things should be done' - Sale and Saints have have been much classier.

Doubtless many will disagree but I suspect this would have been far better handled had Simon Cohen been allowed to do it with minimal interference from Peter Tom.

[ducks]
I’m sure you have your reasons for the above statement, but we will never know, and imo there is no reason to bring Cohen up. Again imo his name belongs in the same place as Cockers, the club’s history books, and nothing positive is gained from raking over old ground
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Supporters should take the media interest as a compliment and stop slating those trying to run the club for it.
The business of big clubs is often played out in the media.
You see Man Utd or Spurs business reported often but with respect you don't see so much about Sheffield Utd or Watford.
For what it's worth I think Manu is a super player, as are Tuafua and Veainu.
I wouldn't like to see any of them leave and there are no direct replacements.
Leicester were struggling with them and so it will be a struggle without, but what will be will be.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:48 pm

[ducks]
I’m sure you have your reasons for the above statement, but we will never know, and imo there is no reason to bring Cohen up. Again imo his name belongs in the same place as Cockers, the club’s history books, and nothing positive is gained from raking over old ground
I made my statement because it's my opinion - and, of course, I have my reasons for doing so.

I'll bring up Simon Cohen or Cocker or anyone else I choose to.

I'm disgusted by how this has been handled by Peter Tom and note the latest from the Telegraph:

- Lawyers engaged as players explore seeking damages
- Players felt frustrated by the aggressive and threatening nature of discussions
- Tuilagi and Taufua now being spoken about by French club presidents
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:05 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:48 pm

[ducks]
I made my statement because it's my opinion - and, of course, I have my reasons for doing so.

I'll bring up Simon Cohen or Cocker or anyone else I choose to.

I'm disgusted by how this has been handled by Peter Tom and note the latest from the Telegraph:

- Lawyers engaged as players explore seeking damages
- Players felt frustrated by the aggressive and threatening nature of discussions
- Tuilagi and Taufua now being spoken about by French club presidents
Why so aggressive I said in my opinion, someone needs to take a chill pill.
Why is the blame being layed at Tom’s door, what about Mcginty.
French club owners were talking about those 2 long before this happened
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Because the Chairman will put the budget and deadline up.

"Doubtless many will disagree but I suspect this would have been far better handled had Simon Cohen been allowed to do it with minimal interference from Peter Tom."

I mean you could literally say that about anyone though.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

In this situation a player going into this without an employment / contract lawyer’s advice would be akin to facing Archer without a box.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:14 pm Because the Chairman will put the budget and deadline up.

"Doubtless many will disagree but I suspect this would have been far better handled had Simon Cohen been allowed to do it with minimal interference from Peter Tom."

I mean you could literally say that about anyone though.
Cohen was hardly known for his empathetic negotiation style from what I understand, but we will never know.
What I’m pretty sure of is whoever handled the talks the same disgruntled player/agent would have leaked to the press