LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Callum Gibbins leaving Glasgow too, tidy option.
There’s a global cull happening, there will be multiple players looking for new clubs, and with the number of players outnumbering the number of contracts available, it should drive up the competition for places, higher calibre players on lower wages.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Personally, I have sympathy for everyone who has been affected, whether they are losing their jobs or just part of their salaries, and whether I think their salaries are "a lot of money" or not. It's important to remember that many people on higher salaries will have sacrificed a lot more to get there. The likes of George Ford aren't simply lucky to be there, they have also put in an incredible amount of hard work to get there.

The big scandal and shame of rugby is the way Pacific Islanders are treated and taken advantage of around the world, at the top level and the smaller professional leagues (if the RFU want to address social or racial injustice, they would be better off starting here than with Swing Low) so if the Tuilagi's have succeeding in making the financial most of their talents then I for one do not begrudge them that. I don't love the idea of leaking things to the press, but if that's what Pacific Islanders have to do to get a fair deal then I'm not going to criticise them for it.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:09 pm If we need another flanker I’d be straight on the phone to Gibson, knows they club, Cockerill is no longer here and I’m sure he would want to work under Borthwick. Has played 7 more recently.
Wasn't just Cockers, perhaps a couple of those who didn't get on with him still playing for the club? :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 pm Personally, I have sympathy for everyone who has been affected, whether they are losing their jobs or just part of their salaries, and whether I think their salaries are "a lot of money" or not. It's important to remember that many people on higher salaries will have sacrificed a lot more to get there. The likes of George Ford aren't simply lucky to be there, they have also put in an incredible amount of hard work to get there.

The big scandal and shame of rugby is the way Pacific Islanders are treated and taken advantage of around the world, at the top level and the smaller professional leagues (if the RFU want to address social or racial injustice, they would be better off starting here than with Swing Low) so if the Tuilagi's have succeeding in making the financial most of their talents then I for one do not begrudge them that. I don't love the idea of leaking things to the press, but if that's what Pacific Islanders have to do to get a fair deal then I'm not going to criticise them for it.
This!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:42 pm
Tiglon wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:36 pm Personally, I have sympathy for everyone who has been affected, whether they are losing their jobs or just part of their salaries, and whether I think their salaries are "a lot of money" or not. It's important to remember that many people on higher salaries will have sacrificed a lot more to get there. The likes of George Ford aren't simply lucky to be there, they have also put in an incredible amount of hard work to get there.

This!
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Jim Hamilton saying Manu Tuilagi to Béziers - but I never know when he's joking.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:53 pm Jim Hamilton saying Manu Tuilagi to Béziers - but I never know when he's joking.
That is what is being rumoured, both him and Taufua, billionaire consortium fronted by Dominici looking to take over the club
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

And all of them have short careers and more than likely many years of ill health in later life due to what they put their bodies through. They are not greedy nor selfish but need to be as hard a negotiator as the club is. We can support both and hope they arrive at a compromise that works but if they don’t so be it - I would not criticise either side in that case.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

rdracup wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:59 pm And all of them have short careers and more than likely many years of ill health in later life due to what they put their bodies through. They are not greedy nor selfish but need to be as hard a negotiator as the club is. We can support both and hope they arrive at a compromise that works but if they don’t so be it - I would not criticise either side in that case.
To be clear I haven’t read any criticism of either party for taking a firm stance. What has rankled many is the desire of one or both parties to play this out in public.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Re the Manu situation. I believe his options within the Premiership would be limited.

Assuming he stays in England so he can continue to play international Rugby and continue to receive the not inconsiderable match fees he earns as an England player then we are looking at another premiership side signing him. From my memory of the salary cap rules international match fees are excluded from counting towards the salary cap.

I imagine that the other premiership have finalised their player recruitment and releases for next season or if they haven't would be unlikely to have the hefty sum that Manu would command left available under the salary cap. So that probably means releasing players to make space in their salary cap. This is probably not a scenario that most clubs would consider at this stage. However given that some might do just that, that might mean that we could acquire a player of good standard to replace Manu for less than we pay him e.g. someone who is close to international standard or a past international who would be available throughout the season. If my reading of the salary cap rules is correct he could not join another premiership club as a marquee player. So his premiership options appear limited unless his agent has already lined something up.

If money is his main concern then a move abroad to France or Japan probably offers the best prospects. He could perhaps re-kindle the interest of Racing 92 or Beziers might be interested as they appear to have plenty of cash. I would imagine that any such move would need to provide a salary that would cover his lost international fees or at least some proportion of them.

Being pragmatic if losing Manu meant having the money to retain one or both of Taufua and Veainu and acquire a reasonable replacement my disappointment at losing him would be substantially lessened.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I won't be overcome with grief if we lose Manu. Great player though he is, his performances for Tigers have, in recent years, never matched those of when he is wearing an England shirt. Injuries have plagued him, and then those absences when playing Internationals.

I don't really think he is good value for us these days, and his leaving would release quite a large chunk of money for us to recruit a couple of quality players.
philw
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by philw »

So, if the rumoured players leaving are true, who does that leave as our marquee players for the rest of the season?
Listening to the pouring rain
Waiting for the world to change
Beginning to wonder if we'll wait in vain
For one fine day
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Do some of these players have the same agent??
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Dangerous4 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:14 pm I won't be overcome with grief if we lose Manu. Great player though he is, his performances for Tigers have, in recent years, never matched those of when he is wearing an England shirt. Injuries have plagued him, and then those absences when playing Internationals.

I don't really think he is good value for us these days, and his leaving would release quite a large chunk of money for us to recruit a couple of quality players.
Agree entirely. Not sure if it was just the paucity of coaching at club level but all he ever seemed to do with us was clear out at the breakdown. I obviously exaggerate, but he certainly hasn't been the imperious talisman, midfield destroyer with us over the last few year than he has been with England. There is also a nagging sense that he is now part of the past, when what Tigers need to do and are well positioned to do under an excellent new coaching regime is to redefine themselves. IF we can keep the pack together I think we'll be in much better shape than we have been. There should be spare cap to re-jigg things. I just hope we can keep a) Lavannini, b) Taufua c) Leibenberg. It will be a shame to see the Leicester Tigers - Tuilagi chain broken though.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:04 pm
rdracup wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:59 pm And all of them have short careers and more than likely many years of ill health in later life due to what they put their bodies through. They are not greedy nor selfish but need to be as hard a negotiator as the club is. We can support both and hope they arrive at a compromise that works but if they don’t so be it - I would not criticise either side in that case.
To be clear I haven’t read any criticism of either party for taking a firm stance. What has rankled many is the desire of one or both parties to play this out in public.
Fair point - But not quite sure it is a desire to play it out in public - but after deadlines passed questions were inevitable and so too were rumours. Iconically the most public data / rumour is this thread though I don’t think the club, agents or players are on it.