LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I suppose the training gear might be what was available yesterday as the players have to arrive in kit.
Well if Bondi is hanging around oval park perhaps he might like to tweet some news as well....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Matt Scott picture in bright sunshine suggests it wasn’t taken today
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Sadly the clubs relationship with the Tuilagi brothers has always been one of mutual self interest not loyalty, we allowed the best of the brothers Alesana to leave when he was offered a better deal, the same with the other brothers, so thank you Manu and best wishes for the future, his contribution to the club has not been as great as his elder brother, the club will, as always move on.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

:smt038
Grumpy of Crumbie wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:17 am It’s an unfortunate situation, in particular because in the case of Tigers it has attracted publicity and negative, sensationalist comment in the press, on this forum and I’m sure across social media.

To put it in perspective there are people across the UK and indeed the world who have had their lives thrown into turmoil by this pandemic. It has touched all aspects of life and individuals, families, Business, Governments will all have to reassess their situation as we move forward. The economic crisis to come is likely to see the closure and contraction of all types of business and the consequential loss of employment for millions of people.

So the circumstances at Tigers are a microcosm of the global situation. The ultimate goal must be to keep the business alive and that will mean difficult but decisive decisions need to be made. It is the right of every individual to make their own decisions based on their personal circumstances as it will be for people affected across all areas of society. Unfortunately many will have the decision made for them as their employer cuts back or closes altogether.

At Tigers we may not like or support the decisions being made by those with responsibility for running the business or the players affected, but don’t we have to accept that they are being made for the best interests of the club or by the individual based on their personal circumstances.

We have no idea if the decisions being made will save the club as the rise in COVID on our own doorstep has demonstrated that the future is far from certain. Who knows there might be another round of cuts to come.

There MUST be a Leicester Tigers in the future, so whatever it takes....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BengalTiger wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:54 am Sadly the clubs relationship with the Tuilagi brothers has always been one of mutual self interest not loyalty, we allowed the best of the brothers Alesana to leave when he was offered a better deal, the same with the other brothers, so thank you Manu and best wishes for the future, his contribution to the club has not been as great as his elder brother, the club will, as always move on.
Well said. :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have a feeling that Manu is playing Leicester’s bluff, by letting them release Bateman, Reid & Eastmond so that they can offer him a better deal/what he was on pre-Covid.

It’s a dangerous game to play.

Will be massively disappointed if Taufua left, he has more leeway in terms of options than our England internationals but you would still think the draw of playing with Nadolo again would be enough to take the paycut for the time being.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Unless he is going to take a sabbatical, I can't see where Manu would go. Which club has the headroom to accommodate his salary at this stage in proceedings without reneging on (an)other contract(s) already signed? Or is the assumption a French club with limitless resources, no cap and therefore complete flexibility?
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:42 am And that is all it takes. I’m still very much in the camp that this has all been made public by a player/agent who felt it would add extra pressure to the club. IMO I can’t see any benefits to the club that this has been made public, plus Murphy assertions that they will announce things when they are good and ready.
Looking at the names that haven’t yet signed there is one player and one agent involved who have previous fighting their battles in public
Agreed 100% Mark, it's the same player/agent every time.

Just looking at stats, over the past 3 seasons Ford has played 44% more games than Manu. I know which player gives us better value for money.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 am Unless he is going to take a sabbatical, I can't see where Manu would go. Which club has the headroom to accommodate his salary at this stage in proceedings without reneging on (an)other contract(s) already signed? Or is the assumption a French club with limitless resources, no cap and therefore complete flexibility?
Japan may well be an option. Seems a few players have been drawn to the country. I think the World Cup just showcased what a good place it is to live and play rugby.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Both Taufua and Tuilagi seem to heavily linked with Beziers and the group fronted by Dominici.(Apologies for spellings)

Taufua would be a huge loss, a world class player, imo, but no one is irreplaceable.
As for Manu, when was the last time he gave a match winning performance in a tigers shirt. I know reasons can be given, unsettled team , losing team etc.
Veianu is a strange one real crowd pleaser, but again imo he has never recovered his form since receiving that horrific facial injury in Munster. Would really suit Japanese club rugby
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 am I have a feeling that Manu is playing Leicester’s bluff, by letting them release Bateman, Reid & Eastmond so that they can offer him a better deal/what he was on pre-Covid.

Will be massively disappointed if Taufua left, he has more leeway in terms of options than our England internationals but you would still think the draw of playing with Nadolo again would be enough to take the paycut for the time being.
I think you may be right. I’d not be overly disappointed with Reid & Eastmond going off it creates flex to keep some of the gamechangers.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:14 am I have a feeling that Manu is playing Leicester’s bluff, by letting them release Bateman, Reid & Eastmond so that they can offer him a better deal/what he was on pre-Covid.

If that is the case I hope the club call it. I am unconvinced about the value we get from Manu and if they think the club should pay them more when others leave I for one think they are wrong. I also think they have set a deadline and should stick to it; this rumoured idea of giving a chosen few a bit more time could be divisive with those who have come to an agreement by the deadline, however reluctantly.
As Good As It Gets
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The deadline may have been extended as there are ongoing talks which need to be continued.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Yes rumoured to now be 5pm tomorrow. Apparently parties such as Manu and Taufua still want to stay, but haven’t finalised terms.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Am I wrong in thinking that we went through a previous bout of brinkmanship with the last contract Manu signed?
Hehehehehehehehe