LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:18 pm George Ford will be staying at Leicester Tigers for at least the next two years, and i (The news company not the pronoun) understands the England fly-half hopes to remain at Welford Road for the rest of his international career
Would I be right in saying that the captaincy of the club, carries a salary increase, sure I heard it once when Tom Youngs was being discussed
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:22 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:18 pm George Ford will be staying at Leicester Tigers for at least the next two years, and i (The news company not the pronoun) understands the England fly-half hopes to remain at Welford Road for the rest of his international career
Would I be right in saying that the captaincy of the club, carries a salary increase, sure I heard it once when Tom Youngs was being discussed
Probably. It seems everything is about money. God forbid the honour of being captain isn’t enough, they need to be paid extra on top of the very generous wage they are already being paid.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:25 pm
Probably. It seems everything is about money. God forbid the honour of being captain isn’t enough, they need to be paid extra on top of the very generous wage they are already being paid.
Agreed it should be an honour in itself, but was thinking this may have added as an extra incentive for Ford
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:27 pm

Agreed it should be an honour in itself, but was thinking this may have added as an extra incentive for Ford
Hopefully not. Hopefully he is staying because he wants to represent Tigers, captain or not, whether on £600k or a more measly £500k.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Be fair, Fordy has clearly put his all in to Tigers since his return. If he gets the captaincy it will be well earned.

Glad to hear of the re-signings. I really hope, although expect to be disappointed, that Telusa re-signs.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Here's a radical suggestion - 10% salary uplift for any player who agrees a contract while representing themselves (i.e. no agent, thereby also saving the player whatever cut an agent would have taken). I have a gut feeling that most, if not all of the recent shenanigans have come about through agents sticking their oars in rather than players themselves feeling something had to be done.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Chris Foy saying Manu has yet to agree terms so is a free agent now unless the club pull something together fast
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... igers.html

"But Leicester were unable to tie down every member of their squad – with many unhappy with their offers. It now appears as if several players could be released immediately."

Granted Daily Mail hasn't mentioned Lavanini, so they might only know of Genge and Ford right now.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Hopefully not. Hopefully he is staying because he wants to represent Tigers, captain or not, whether on £600k or a more measly £500k.
Apparently George Ford was going to agree to play for free, as long as he could wear the shirt and be captain. However, when he wanted to buy a nice house and his offer of "zero money but I am the captain of Tigers, you know" was rudely rejected, he decided that money probably did mean something after all.

I know that's overly sarcastic, but the point I'm trying to make is that I'm sure George is very proud to wear the shirt, but we shouldn't begrudge him the opportunity to make the most he can from his talent and dedication.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

We were always going to loose some.
Manu still managed by Freddie as far as I’m aware, who is driven by £ so may well be off.
Taufua has his twitter photo of him by the Tigers badge, which I haven’t noticed before and I’m hopeful he’ll want at least a season with his mate Nandolo
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:06 pm We were always going to loose some.
Manu still managed by Freddie as far as I’m aware, who is driven by £ so may well be off.
Taufua has his twitter photo of him by the Tigers badge, which I haven’t noticed before and I’m hopeful he’ll want at least a season with his mate Nandolo
Taufua & Nandolo are very good on the field together, Taufua used to play that side of the pitch with the Crusaders.

Has anyone tried to raise Bondi to see if the club are going announce anything?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

:smt038
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:05 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:30 pm

Apparently George Ford was going to agree to play for free, as long as he could wear the shirt and be captain. However, when he wanted to buy a nice house and his offer of "zero money but I am the captain of Tigers, you know" was rudely rejected, he decided that money probably did mean something after all.

I know that's overly sarcastic, but the point I'm trying to make is that I'm sure George is very proud to wear the shirt, but we shouldn't begrudge him the opportunity to make the most he can from his talent and dedication.
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

Now we can see the dust settling from this Covid19 apocalypse for all clubs we need to be pragmatic about a few things, my point is yes Veainu and Manu are class acts and can change games however they need to be on the pitch which over the last 2 -3 seasons due to injuries has been limited, and will that change? Lets wish them all the best for the future if they see it elsewhere and use who is available as that is potentially what will happen anyway with their injury records.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Good news for Mike Ford that George has renewed his contract as I’m certain that George wouldn’t have renewed unless his dad was given the same length of contract.
The two seem to come as a package.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Let's wait and see what tomorrow brings. :smt017