LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 am Even Wasps seem to be in a better position than us!
Wow! Scotty I totally agree as they are £35.7m in debt, owe Derek Richardson £18.3m, have lost top players Elliot Daly, Willie Le Roux, & Nathan Hughes amongst others reducing their salary bill from £7.628m to £6.969m and still losing £5m in the six months.
Yes they really are in a better place than us as they head to the wall. Still without a training facility!
Is it not time to head south again & find another old football stadium. :smt023
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:58 pm Genge tweeting a picture of a croissant can't be a particularly good sign...
Now tweeting a picture of some sushi
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:19 pm Tigers total wage bill must be close to £1000,000,00 per month plus National Insurance payments, with no income coming in any cash reserves are not going to last long, if major shareholder stump up a load of money to keep thing going then that will gain time but will not last long either. Players on the largest salaries are also the ones unavailable for large sections of the season, the cap spend limits us but so does income, at present we have no prospect of matches that we can stage with any hope of a profit, playing in front of a crowd of say only 30% capacity probably means actually increasing losses. Players have to negotiate for the good of our game and for the good of their team mates who are not star names and are unlikely to get big money offers from Japan or elsewhere.
Making a player redundant is not an option if we then need to sign a replacement in the near future.
Good guess. Staff costs per 2019 accounts we £13.4 million across 171 staff. I don't know if Tigers have mitigated this using the furlough scheme like Newcastle.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:52 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:58 pm Genge tweeting a picture of a croissant can't be a particularly good sign...
He's winding everyone up! :smt003

Twitter has gone bonkers at this and everything to do with Tigers - all off the back of one sensationalist newspaper article.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I hope he goes Leeks next, then Iron Bru & then a pint of the Dark Stuff...

A piccie of a Pork Pie would be nice though...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:25 pm
I hope he goes Leeks next, then Iron Bru & then a pint of the Dark Stuff...

A piccie of a Pork Pie would be nice though...
Someone has already suggested a slice of Red Leicester
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:19 am Even Wasps seem to be in a better position than us!
Wow! Scotty I totally agree as they are £35.7m in debt, owe Derek Richardson £18.3m, have lost top players Elliot Daly, Willie Le Roux, & Nathan Hughes amongst others reducing their salary bill from £7.628m to £6.969m and still losing £5m in the six months.
Yes they really are in a better place than us as they head to the wall. Still without a training facility!
Is it not time to head south again & find another old football stadium. :smt023
Should've written it in sarcasm font haha👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Am I the only one who's slightly uncomfortable with the player who shouts about how seriously he takes players' employment rights making jokes about these contract issues? It's actually quite a serious thing for a lot of players who could struggle to pay their mortgage on a reduced salary and who might not have options around the world and might even struggle to find new employment in the UK.

I probably just need to lighten up a bit...
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

i think what it shows is that we should wait and see what happens - as ever, the media only stir to create stories.....
Less is more....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I suspect the contracts are very carefully worded to make it hard to be broken by either party.

If Gareth Bale’s contract in Spain was anything to go by then it might be tricky without mutual consent for Tigers to terminate.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Following on from Tiglon's point about the seriousness of the position, it is worth remembering that a 25% cut for some players will amount to a sum two or three times the salary of a player at the lower end of the salary range. It is those less well paid players who will be hit hardest and for whom a 25% cut makes a difference to their day to day lives.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Systonite wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:13 pm Following on from Tiglon's point about the seriousness of the position, it is worth remembering that a 25% cut for some players will amount to a sum two or three times the salary of a player at the lower end of the salary range. It is those less well paid players who will be hit hardest and for whom a 25% cut makes a difference to their day to day lives.
Excellent point. There won’t be many who will be looking to sell their current gaff for just under £1million
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

mol2 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm I suspect the contracts are very carefully worded to make it hard to be broken by either party.

If Gareth Bale’s contract in Spain was anything to go by then it might be tricky without mutual consent for Tigers to terminate.
I expect Simon Cohen is so pleased that he is not involved in these Tigers negotiations!
Unless he is now freelancing for the players, having seen the answers!! :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:15 pm
Systonite wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:13 pm Following on from Tiglon's point about the seriousness of the position, it is worth remembering that a 25% cut for some players will amount to a sum two or three times the salary of a player at the lower end of the salary range. It is those less well paid players who will be hit hardest and for whom a 25% cut makes a difference to their day to day lives.
Excellent point. There won’t be many who will be looking to sell their current gaff for just under £1million
You don't know the mortgage situation on it though. He could have next to no equity. Just because people have good salaries doesn't mean they are in a solid financial state. He could be downsizing because his other investments or business interests have been hit by Covid so he needs liquidity. We don't know.

Amount of people I've seen drive flash cars over the years but only have them on finance and have nothing in the bank...
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I do agree with your car analogy, but other than I’m sure he doesn’t need to be rolling around in a place that size, I would be very surprised if he didn’t come out of it with some liquid assets, even selling it for approx what he paid for it