LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by mol2 »

The bottom line is whether or not Tigers can afford the contracts thay have made.

If not then they are in financial problems.

If they can then why sign up to a cut in the salary cap and expect not to honour the contracts they have made?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Surely this isn't about the salary cap reduction - that doesn't come into force yet.

In difficult times the business needs to look after the business and the employee needs to look after the employee. It is what it is. Hopefully most of the players and the club will be able to reach a compromise.

That said, if one or both sides is too strong in defence of his own interests and too disinterested in those of the other, neither will benefit.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I'm sure we can get a decent standard Championship prop on Bateman's wage, Genge will still want to play for England. Only Bristol can afford realistically to pay his current wage but is there the cap space?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I fully sympathise with the way players may be feeling about wage reductions but I also fully understand why the club would be doing this now.

As we cannot be relegated we have the rest of this season to gear up for the next and the future. We get the opportunity to see what the fallout will be in terms of players seeking to leave and plan accordingly in a less pressured situation due to the lack of relegation threat. The full new coaching team and DOR will be involved in sourcing replacements for those who do leave which is no bad thing. Also I imagine the promising youngsters we have will get a chance to show what they can do - again no bad thing.

I don't care if we finish this season bottom of the league if it means we start next with a settled squad of players fully motivated and well coached.

The salary cap reductions are coming whether the players or club like it or not. I'd rather take some short term pain now for, hopefully, gains in the longer term and the continued survival of Leicester Tigers.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Would happily take Coleman, Naholo and Tuisue from Irish.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:03 am Surely this isn't about the salary cap reduction - that doesn't come into force yet.

In difficult times the business needs to look after the business and the employee needs to look after the employee. It is what it is. Hopefully most of the players and the club will be able to reach a compromise.

That said, if one or both sides is too strong in defence of his own interests and too disinterested in those of the other, neither will benefit.
Well it kinda is.
Shot term wage reduction for covid turns into long term because the cap will come down also.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am I fully sympathise with the way players may be feeling about wage reductions but I also fully understand why the club would be doing this now.

As we cannot be relegated we have the rest of this season to gear up for the next and the future. We get the opportunity to see what the fallout will be in terms of players seeking to leave and plan accordingly in a less pressured situation due to the lack of relegation threat. The full new coaching team and DOR will be involved in sourcing replacements for those who do leave which is no bad thing. Also I imagine the promising youngsters we have will get a chance to show what they can do - again no bad thing.

I don't care if we finish this season bottom of the league if it means we start next with a settled squad of players fully motivated and well coached.

The salary cap reductions are coming whether the players or club like it or not. I'd rather take some short term pain now for, hopefully, gains in the longer term and the continued survival of Leicester Tigers.
Amen, brother (sister or gender non-specific) :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 am
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:03 am Surely this isn't about the salary cap reduction - that doesn't come into force yet.

Well it kinda is.
Shot term wage reduction for covid turns into long term because the cap will come down also.
I appreciate that, but there's a big chunk of time in between the two.

If I was a player being told that my salary needed to be cut right now because the cap is coming down in a year, I'd think the club were trying to take advantage of the situation.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:28 am
voice of the crumbie wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am I fully sympathise with the way players may be feeling about wage reductions but I also fully understand why the club would be doing this now.

Amen, brother (sister or gender non-specific) :smt023
Thanks jg. Brother under current gender definitions. But, who knows, in the future I may be identifying as something else or not as the case may be :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Tiglon post_id=744408 time=1593504231 user_id=9329]
Surely this isn't about the salary cap reduction - that doesn't come into force yet.

[/quote]

Actually Tiglon, I think this is at least partly about the cap reduction. I am sure someone will let me know if I have this wrong, but I think the phasing in provisions of the new agreement have led to clubs scrambling to re-negotiate and extend, particularly some of the higher paid player contracts in an effort to get 75% (rather than 100%) to count towards the revised cap.
It's a further complication to throw into an already almighty mess :smt009
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:45 am

Actually Tiglon, I think this is at least partly about the cap reduction. I am sure someone will let me know if I have this wrong, but I think the phasing in provisions of the new agreement have led to clubs scrambling to re-negotiate and extend, particularly some of the higher paid player contracts in an effort to get 75% (rather than 100%) to count towards the revised cap.
Jonny May has renegotiated his contract at Gloucester along the lines of what you mention so I think you are correct.
As you say muddys already muddy waters
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

All negotiations need to have a deadline to stop it dragging on.......it could be that agreements will be reached at the last minute.........players holding out for a better offer but nothing forthcoming or alternatively the Club hoping that players will accept the current terms without putting anything further on the table. Compromises may come late in the day but this is not about winners and losers, this is about the survival of Leicester Tigers as a Club.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Flash

Post by Flash »

I think for the 75% counting towards the future cap the contracts already need to be signed (think about 18th June).

The caps coming down in a year, there's going to be a much reduced income before then. Who knows when full attendance will be allowed, it would not surprise me if that was still a long way off so to be sustainable I guess this renegotiation has to be done.

If I was either a player or the club I probably wouldn't compromise too much until the deadline. I expect anyone who stays will be committed to the team and the coaches if not the board.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:27 am

Well it kinda is.
Presumably the let-out to allow only 75% to count to cap if re-signed by a certain time was because certain clubs flush with cash like Bristol did not want the reduction. This allows them to still pay walloping salaries to top players and consequently make a nonsense of the reduction agreed. What a fudge
As Good As It Gets
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Mark62 post_id=744421 time=1593507668 user_id=11593]
[quote=MurphysLaw post_id=744419 time=1593506722 user_id=3365]
[quote=Tiglon post_id=744408 time=1593504231 user_id=9329]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Jonny May has renegotiated his contract at Gloucester along the lines of what you mention so I think you are correct.
As you say muddys already muddy waters
[/quote]

Yes, and I have just been reading that Nanai has just extended his contract with Worcs