LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Scuttle »

BengalTiger wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:48 pm People should listen to what our chairman says whenever he gets the chance, he wants Tigers to be here for a long time, the board are just custodians. That being so, playing in the championship for a season or two is not the big fear for the board, going bankrupt is the thing they will not allow!
This I think is where there is a different perspective between the players and the board, the players are banking that getting relegated is the worst possible outcome, the board know going bankrupt is far a worse outcome.
I am with the board, players come players go the viability of the club must come first.

Very astute and there may be something in what you say
As Good As It Gets
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tigers at present have no real income & wont get anywhere near what we were until crowds are back in unlimited l, all hospitality up & running & the stadium is being used for other things Mon to Fri.
If that was your business you would be pretty worried, if you were an employee of that business you would be worried to...that raises the question of why some of Tigers players appear not to be.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Let me put my cards firmly on the table. I don't like what I am hearing or reading in the press but what makes any of our players different from the rest of the country in these uncertain times? Many professions have been hit with pay losses due to reduced income available in their profession and I hope our staff accepts that in this day and age it will apply to them as well. The reduction in the salary cap means that there simply is not the same money to pay their wages in the future. 2 choices have to be made even if we pay up to the cap, fewer players in the squad paid at the same level = redundancies for some, contracts not renewed or players are paid less and it is a simple choice which management has the responsibility to make. If 13 players walk out of the club, then so be it - nothing the club can do about that as it would be their choice but where are they going to go when most, if not every club will have already committed to their spending of the salary cap - not many, if any will have £1m left in their cap to spend. I can totally understand them wanting to protect their income/contracts but sometimes you have to accept that you are not going to get everything you want. I hope they stay and I hope that they are paid as much as they are worth to the club but I fear some will depart for pastures in the next field. Finally, I do agree with the club trying to bring things to a conclusion so the new coach knows who he has to work with and prepare for the next game whenever that may be.
Hehehehehehehehe
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:37 pm Let me put my cards firmly on the table. I don't like what I am hearing or reading in the press but what makes any of our players different from the rest of the country in these uncertain times? Many professions have been hit with pay losses due to reduced income available in their profession and I hope our staff accepts that in this day and age it will apply to them as well. The reduction in the salary cap means that there simply is not the same money to pay their wages in the future. 2 choices have to be made even if we pay up to the cap, fewer players in the squad paid at the same level = redundancies for some, contracts not renewed or players are paid less and it is a simple choice which management has the responsibility to make. If 13 players walk out of the club, then so be it - nothing the club can do about that as it would be their choice but where are they going to go when most, if not every club will have already committed to their spending of the salary cap - not many, if any will have £1m left in their cap to spend. I can totally understand them wanting to protect their income/contracts but sometimes you have to accept that you are not going to get everything you want. I hope they stay and I hope that they are paid as much as they are worth to the club but I fear some will depart for pastures in the next field. Finally, I do agree with the club trying to bring things to a conclusion so the new coach knows who he has to work with and prepare for the next game whenever that may be.
:smt023
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Trendylfj,you're final point was by far the most important and maybe this is why the club slapped a deadline on things! We need to know where we are going forward ASAP,good or bad.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I doubt we will ever learn all the facts, however on the face of it I am in the 'take a pay cut for the good of both club and game' camp.
As some have said if some don't or won't then realistically they are better off not being here!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

fentiger wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:03 pm I doubt we will ever learn all the facts, however on the face of it I am in the 'take a pay cut for the good of both club and game' camp.
As some have said if some don't or won't then realistically they are better off not being here!
Agree....and so is the club. The saying ...one volunteer is worth 10 pressed men ...comes to mind.
As Good As It Gets
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wonder if this stems from the players getting a little bit too used to getting their way...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:43 pm I wonder if this stems from the players getting a little bit too used to getting their way...
Has been true for several years, indeed the rumour first surfaced over Tigers outmoded defence ideas around 2013, the international players weren't happy.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Loss of gate takings may well be significant but there has been significant TV money coming in.

Obviously clubs can’t pay money they don’t have but you can understand that if they feel the club can afford to pay them they might not be willing to take a hit. They might just take the view that if Tigers have the money they might not support the club agreeing to reduce salary cap.

Covid may hit rugby union funding in this country but there are other countries still offering big bucks such as France, USA and Japan that could well pay at least as much as they are getting at Tigers.

If Tigers have the funds they might be on dodgy grounds if they make players redundant (from a legal angle.)
When redundancies are made it is the job that is made redundant so Tigers continuing to sign new players somewhat undermines their argument.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I really feel for Borthwick in all of this. He already has a lot of turmoil to deal with. Now, when he walks in on Weds he's either got an even weaker squad or 12 angry and even less motivated players. He might want to give EJ a ring before the week's out.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 pm I really feel for Borthwick in all of this. He already has a lot of turmoil to deal with. Now, when he walks in on Weds he's either got an even weaker squad or 12 angry and even less motivated players. He might want to give EJ a ring before the week's out.
?
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm
POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:47 pm I really feel for Borthwick in all of this. He already has a lot of turmoil to deal with. Now, when he walks in on Weds he's either got an even weaker squad or 12 angry and even less motivated players. He might want to give EJ a ring before the week's out.
?
I'm assuming they won't be delighted about taking a pay cut. If they're happy about it, why is it being discussed? Having a third of the squad forced to take a reduction in terms is surely not conducive to great team spirit.
Last edited by POSTIGER on Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:43 pm I wonder if this stems from the players getting a little bit too used to getting their way...
Therein lies a tale. When all is said and done Tigers are in the entertainment business and cannot continue to survive on poor quality rugby.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

POSTIGER wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:48 pm
?
I'm assuming they won't be delighted about taking a pay cut. If they're happy about it, why is it being discussed? Having a third of the squad forced to take a reduction in terms is surely not conducive to great team spirit.
If they are not happy they don't have to take the money.