LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:15 pm True but it doesn’t benefit the club adding extra uncertainty. It may, only may, benefit unions negotiating on players behalf’s
Hmm
It doesn't, but it's literally 1 day before that deadline.
What's 1 day of uncertainty really going to do for the club?
Maybe if it was longer the uncertainty would hurt it.

I'll put it this way also as another reason.
Would this leak help the club limit expectations to the public should the players all leave?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Maybe - preparing the supporters for bad news by having such rumours leaked. It is a dangerous game though, I think most people just want to know the truth. Do we spend up to the cap and enjoy watching the talent everyone has been speaking about until very recently (Club included)? Or alternatively, are the club cutting back and renegotiating (lowering) contracts and half-expect some of the higher paid players to leave. Whatever it is, I'd like to know and hopefully we will after tomorrow.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:22 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:15 pm True but it doesn’t benefit the club adding extra uncertainty. It may, only may, benefit unions negotiating on players behalf’s
Hmm

Would this leak help the club limit expectations to the public should the players all leave?
I do understand your reasoning. In the overall scheme of things these leaks don’t really benefit either party
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:20 pm
Mark62 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:17 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:12 pm

It might also be exactly what we need.
And we’re not going to be the only club in this situation. If players feel it is in their best interest to leave, let them, finish the season with what we have, and use those 4 months to recruit all the free agent players that are going to be available who haven’t got clubs
More fool the leavers, unless they have already lined up a move, in which case we wouldn't want them anyway. Frankly I am appalled, all the clubs are in dire situations (and I wonder if Sale and Mr Money have done some Sarries style deals), and becoming a free agent may well mean Ealing or scaffolding next!
:smt023 :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:34 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:22 pm
Hmm

I do understand your reasoning. In the overall scheme of things these leaks don’t really benefit either party
Well it's a very aggressive form of negotiating in the last hour.
I'm just saying that a lot of motives will be going on.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Utterly :censored: depressing.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I fail to believe we are the only club impacted to this level. Is it just a case of we are more informed when it comes to Tigers due to this forum etc, but that other clubs are in the same boat and we’re just not aware.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I’ve actually gone beyond almost caring what players leave, if they don’t want to play for the club and shirt then let them go. Always stand by the mantra that no player or group is bigger than the club. The group of players left deserve our respect in these difficult times.

I think we have to expect that a few players will be leaving regardless of whether the contract negotiations are successful, that’s just the times we are living in.

However, having said that, it still doesn’t excuse the fact that it appears the club haven’t handled things particularly well. Even more frustrating when they appear to put on a PR spin every Friday on LTTV making out everything is fine when it clearly isn’t.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:03 pm Well I’m pretty sure his visa hasn’t come through yet so it might not even be a money reason.
True, very true...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm Utterly :censored: depressing.
Absolutely. I’m just hoping it’s not worst case scenario and something in-between.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:09 pm I’ve actually gone beyond almost caring what players leave, if they don’t want to play for the club and shirt then let them go. Always stand by the mantra that no player or group is bigger than the club. The group of players left deserve our respect in these difficult times.

I think we have to expect that a few players will be leaving regardless of whether the contract negotiations are successful, that’s just the times we are living in.

However, having said that, it still doesn’t excuse the fact that it appears the club haven’t handled things particularly well. Even more frustrating when they appear to put on a PR spin every Friday on LTTV making out everything is fine when it clearly isn’t.
Tbf to Murphy, he did say last Friday that 99% of what’s in the press is untrue and there were still individual negotiations going on with players, something echoed by Tom Youngs.
IMO I do agree with something else mentioned that if you are intending to move on why turn up to a S&C slog. Smacks of wanting your cake and eating it to me. Yes we’ll come and train and get ourselves fit, but if you don’t meet our demands we’re moving on.
I’m not aware of any reports of players not being at training other than those in isolation
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:20 pm
jgriffin wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:42 pm Utterly :censored: depressing.
Absolutely. I’m just hoping it’s not worst case scenario and something in-between.
Something in-between I'd reckon. It sounds like a large number of high paid players with lots of other options don't want to accept the wage cuts longer term - which is understandable to be fair. When push comes to shove we may see a few good players leave to facilitate better offers for the others.

Which players leave will be very significant though given that some parts of our squad look fragile already.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

People should listen to what our chairman says whenever he gets the chance, he wants Tigers to be here for a long time, the board are just custodians. That being so, playing in the championship for a season or two is not the big fear for the board, going bankrupt is the thing they will not allow!
This I think is where there is a different perspective between the players and the board, the players are banking that getting relegated is the worst possible outcome, the board know going bankrupt is far a worse outcome.
I am with the board, players come players go the viability of the club must come first.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

trendylfj wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:07 am I hate to say it but Ford's house is on the market for what he paid for it - just under £1M
Could be selling it as if he is going to be on a reduced wage, if he is paying a mortgage on it, he will down size and get a cheaper house.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:58 pm
trendylfj wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:07 am I hate to say it but Ford's house is on the market for what he paid for it - just under £1M
Could be selling it as if he is going to be on a reduced wage, if he is paying a mortgage on it, he will down size and get a cheaper house.
Pretty sure it will be down to his sad relationship breakdown. Huge house for 1 guy and no doubt a lot of memories there.
From the pictures I saw before training restarted he was spending his time up North