LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by westwinds31 »

Did I dream it, or did someone (Maybe Murphy) say that we had two more players coming in and that would complete the squad ? And despite the wild rumours of Itoje, Yarde (Who never spoke to us apparently) and others, the thinking was Harry Potter and a lock ? So with the cap coming down I guess this changes things and we have to offload players or the pay cut covers it ?

So everyone takes a cut, players move on and we bring some in to replace them surely ?
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I wouldn't get to excited about Fisler speculation but if it happens it happens, I really hope Telusa does not leave he is a very good player although claims that he has been our best player over the last two years are extreme season 2018/19 he hardly played for us, strangely that is when Fisler thinks we signed him. Lavanini another very good player but we hopefully he also will still be with us next season,.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I wouldn't get to excited about Fisler speculation but if it happens it happens, I really hope Telusa does not leave he is a very good player although claims that he has been our best player over the last two years are extreme season 2018/19 he hardly played for us, strangely that is when Fisler thinks we signed him. Lavanini another very good player but we hopefully he also will still be with us next season,.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I understand the phrase "create something out of nothing " can be used loosely but I don't just want that , as the words imply we are playing rubbish and a bit of magic happens on the part of one or two players. I would rather Tigers created "something out of something" which would mean the team were doing the basics right and we had the players to finish off........if you know what I mean.
As Good As It Gets
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Rugby Paper speculation and/or fishing ; would not dismiss anything out of hand but nothing said here about Leicester that could not be said in regard to any other club in the Premiership (possibly Sale excepted - where their appears harmony over pay restructure).The players are going to take a hit and not be happy about it , but what happens will happen.Presently , don't want to lose anyone so fingers crossed - we need to be getting stronger not weaker.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the salary cap reductions from the 2021-22 season so perhaps these are possible leavers for next summer? We apparently have the money to pay up to the cap next season but the season after is when we'll need the salary reductions to get under the cap.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:18 pm Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the salary cap reductions from the 2021-22 season so perhaps these are possible leavers for next summer? We apparently have the money to pay up to the cap next season but the season after is when we'll need the salary reductions to get under the cap.
That is what I mean, Sam. What has been implied is that we can pay up to the cap next season, that our squad is going to get an upgrade, we are getting more players, we are aiming for top 6 etc... If the alternative position is that we draw in our horns, let some top quality players leave, invest in youngsters for the future, lower our aspirations in the short-term to survival (financially and in the Premier League) then I am happy to buy into that as well.

I just want to understand the strategy, I find it unsettling imagining we are going to have a team to contend with the best in Europe, thinking about that great line-up in the pack if all fit and available. Someone who knows the players better than I can surely put out a starting 15 based on what we have now and it would be so exciting if coached properly. If we aren't getting that, no problem as I can take the long-term view with the great youngsters we have in the pipeline.

But whatever you do, Leicester Tigers, please don't over-promise and then under-deliver. By the way - I appreciate the Club themselves aren't entirely culpable for what has been implied, some of it done by lazy journalists, some of it by ever-hopeful fans. Which probably means nothing will change!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:58 pm Interesting tweet by Bondi

https://twitter.com/sammdoubleu/status/ ... 07875?s=21
Would hope the inference is correct.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have never known Bondi to tweet something and then backtrack on it.

It has to be pointed out that the tweet he was replying to was not a specific reference to Lavanini or Veainu though...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We could as a club be intending to sacrifice short term glory for long term success, if we plan ahead we should be in a better position when the cap tightens, if it means losing some of or higher earners if they dont fit that ideal do be it. There is a very high earning centre of ours whose contract is up soon who hasn't exactly been great value for Tigers as well...
I hope we are going to be winning most of our games with the standard & execution of our game plan rather than moments of genius, genius has a place but not as your normal method of winning.
I would suggest its easier for a club if the Salary Cap increases rather than reduces so if we are ahead of the curve in working to the lower cap, we may well steal a march on opposition at that point.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:43 am We could as a club be intending to sacrifice short term glory for long term success, if we plan ahead we should be in a better position when the cap tightens, if it means losing some of or higher earners if they dont fit that ideal do be it. There is a very high earning centre of ours whose contract is up soon who hasn't exactly been great value for Tigers as well...
I hope we are going to be winning most of our games with the standard & execution of our game plan rather than moments of genius, genius has a place but not as your normal method of winning.
I would suggest its easier for a club if the Salary Cap increases rather than reduces so if we are ahead of the curve in working to the lower cap, we may well steal a march on opposition at that point.
The value of a player is a complex calculation, not simply expressed in terms of games played, tries scored, etc. Some of the factors are intangible and qualitative.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Longshanks wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:50 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:43 am We could as a club be intending to sacrifice short term glory for long term success, if we plan ahead we should be in a better position when the cap tightens, if it means losing some of or higher earners if they dont fit that ideal do be it. There is a very high earning centre of ours whose contract is up soon who hasn't exactly been great value for Tigers as well...
The value of a player is a complex calculation, not simply expressed in terms of games played, tries scored, etc. Some of the factors are intangible and qualitative.
For example, when recruiting new players who, especially in the backs, wouldn't be excited by the prospect of playing alongside a certain very high earning centre? Making it easier to recruit the better players now that we don't have our previously 'usual' place in the Premiership final as bait?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Well, Harry A Potter has been tagged on Instagram by Johnny McPhillips strolling through Victoria Park. :smt001
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:31 pm Well, Harry A Potter has been tagged on Instagram by Johnny McPhillips strolling through Victoria Park. :smt001
Cloak of invisibility?