Post by RagingBull »

Well isn't LLTV stuff pre-recorded.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... ining.html

‘Nobody wants pay cuts, but you’ve got to understand the situation. Rugby’s grown rapidly and it’s got to find its feet again. I almost see this as a bit of a cooling-off period before it kicks off again. If you’re a 20-year-old now, by the time you’re 24 or 25 it will start to climb again, I’m sure. As a player, all you can do is crack on. We want to make sure there is a Leicester Tigers at the end of it… every player feels that way.’

Wise words from Ben Youngs.
Just like how younger players can afford to wait it out, older players can't really.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Anyone thinking that rugby would return unruffled from the COVID19 hiatus needs counselling.
As Len has it, making sure Tigers are there at the back end of it is a priority, and if that means TV and other stars have to go, so be it. There will be some clubs clinging on by their fingertips even now. I can only think that the bond problem at Wasps is going to see them gone unless they sell to foreign money (as has been mooted, and as behind Quins).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

It could be that Tigers need to shave a little off the budget, and the club have identified Lavanini and Veianu as potentially expendable, for differing reasons.
For Lavanini, we have two league level experienced locks in Wells and Green, who probably aren’t going to be troubled by international call ups. Add in the mythical lock we are believed to have under wraps. Then we have 4 players around the 19/20 age bracket, who maybe Borthwick feels he can extract what he needs from. If there’s one area you’d expect Borthwick to have under control, it’ll be second row.
As for Veianu, I’ve wondered for a little while now if the incisive attack instinctive fullback is something we’ll move away from, and perhaps look more towards the Alex Goode type second receiver, as that suits Worth, plus we’re told Henry and McPhillips are seen as 10/15’s. Then we also have Steward as the more classical fullback option, tall, rangy and powerful both in the air and with that long stride.
It seems like doom and gloom to be talking about losing two big players like this, but I get the impression other clubs will be interesting be same situation soon enough.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Global rugby reset coming. Whats happening here will be in France and Japan next. Expect lots of skilled players moving out. Rich club sugar daddies aren't what the sport needs.

Wasps will be loosing alot more than Carr soon im sure...
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As i understand it all clubs have reduced wage bills during the pandemic, all clubs will be looking to reduce wage bills in the near future due to reduced salary cap. So what are the options for players, foreign born players also possibly have to take into account exchange rates when looking at salary an adverse alteration in rates may make the wage received look less attractive at home than it did previously. There are limits to how many players the French and the Japanese will sign so agents threatening to move their clients might find their bluff called with no advantage to the player.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I'd be very disappointed if we lost Lavanini and Veianu. Two of the very few players we have who can make a real difference to the side. Veianu in particular has been one of, if not the only player we've had who can create something out of nothing these past two seasons and Lavanini brought that physicality we were desperately lacking. I understand the wage bill situation but we're losing two outstanding players when we're already the weakest team in the league.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Ben Youngs and Tom Youngs true Tigers. Well done.They can see the bigger picture and being realistic about what would have happened in Rugby Union even if the virus hadn’t caused Lockdown.
I still hope TV stays as without Johnny May we need a player who an create something from nothing: not only that TV is a great community gentleman who the young children really like.
Secondly, there is enough talent in the academy squad to make Tigers a very good team.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

I think what upsets me in this is the lack of consistency. One minute we are talking about Alamano teaming up with Lavanini or even Itoje on a year's loan, next minute we're looking to chop player costs.
I completely understand the need to adapt and be flexible, particularly the economic situation in the game and indeed the whole country.
I would like to know what the strategy is - are we aiming to spend up to the salary cap or are we aiming for longer term stability. Is it possible to do both.
Simply from my perspective as a long-term supporter, I want to know what the strategy is then I can try to understand it and support it. At the minute I don't know what is going on, whether to get excited about challenging for top 6 places with a quality squad which is an upgrade from the last few years or do I need to prepare myself for a long term investment in youngsters and greater financial stability?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

The club has been fairly open in the LLTV so far.

Not sure how you can expect consistency from player movement speculation though.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

RichieB wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:47 pm I would like to know what the strategy is - are we aiming to spend up to the salary cap or are we aiming for longer term stability. Is it possible to do both.
Geordie has said on more than one occasion and backed up by Andrea on LTTV that we will spend up to the salary cap - if a player(s) are not happy with their reduction or contract then some will leave and some will stay and there is not a lotwe can do except be open and honest with every player and member of staff.
Hehehehehehehehe
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RichieB wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:47 pm I think what upsets me in this is the lack of consistency. One minute we are talking about Alamano teaming up with Lavanini or even Itoje on a year's loan, next minute we're looking to chop player costs.
I completely understand the need to adapt and be flexible, particularly the economic situation in the game and indeed the whole country.
I would like to know what the strategy is - are we aiming to spend up to the salary cap or are we aiming for longer term stability. Is it possible to do both.
Simply from my perspective as a long-term supporter, I want to know what the strategy is then I can try to understand it and support it. At the minute I don't know what is going on, whether to get excited about challenging for top 6 places with a quality squad which is an upgrade from the last few years or do I need to prepare myself for a long term investment in youngsters and greater financial stability?
Agreed. Just don’t mention signings or possible signings. It gets hopes up, including mine. Let the rumours run and announce players when they’re confirmed, don’t drop in “we’re hoping by next week” when it clearly won’t happen. I get the club are under no obligation to discuss interests or signings, so don’t do it. As Richie B says, we were thinking about a potential international pairing at lock, along with a Green and Wells. Now is the lock coming in ? He may be looking elsewhere. We appreciate the next period is a transition, long term project but having enough quality to survive the drop would be nice to know.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So are we letting players go or spending up to the cap?! :smt017
Edit: Just remembered the caps coming down.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean even if Lavanini and Veainu went we should still have a team that can stay up even without incomers
The big thing will be Steve Borthwick and Rob Taylor really.

Teams with even less quality on paper than we have had have managed to stay up.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Lavanini would be a big loss, TV whilst great going forward has been responsible for a few defensive whoops moments.
The long term future is going to be home grown players with a bit of outside influence mixed in, not every great Tiger has been a World Beater.
To win is not as important as playing with style!