Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Sign Montoya & then loan out abroad?

OTY back to 12? :smt005
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:11 am Spencer was announced as moving on like a month ago with the other leavers.
Yeah but they announced it today as well
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

ABClub wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:42 pm
Mark62 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:47 pm
ABClub wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:31 pm The Jaguares allowing players to discuss other options will also have complicated the contract situations as well. Tigers have been in talks with Julian Montoya for a while about joining for 2021/22 season when his Jags contract expired. Signing him a season earlier to secure him long term would probably mean a back row signing being sacrificed though - Thompson and Kalamafoni out, only Brink in currently.

The upside is that Montoya and Mamukashvili would be a huge leap forward in a position where we have fallen behind just about all the other Premiership clubs.
I’m not saying he ever should, but I’m fairly sure I’ve seen Montoya playing on the back row. Maybe when he was the only forward replacement left other than the props.
It was only January of last year that Ken Owens outplayed our back row (I think it was Williams, Evans and Mapapalangi with only Will having a notable game) from number 8 for Scarlets.

As you say it would be a long way from ideal but given squads will be smaller next season it wouldn't be the end of the world if Montoya or even Jake Kerr played a game at blindside. Rob Webber debuted for Wasps at openside in an injury crisis and won man of the match.

6.Liebenberg, Lewis, Lavin
7.Taufua, Reffell, Gough
8.Brink, Coghlan, Smith

The numbers are there it's 5 of them being recent academy grads that's the worry. I believe that Lewis is ready to start Prem games in a balanced pack with a strong lock pairing in front of him. I'd happily see Tommy Reffell skipper games as Ben White has this season as well. I think he's a terrific player who always makes positive contributions - similar to Will Evans it must be said.
I remember that only too well, what was more hurtful was on paper it was a good backrow... never mind. In terms of next season, Liebenberg can be used as an 8 and there’s always Genge! I suspect Smith will be played a lot more next season let’s hope he does well.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Just a thought but with a Jaguares yard sale seemingly happening maybe Petti could be available, he and Lavanini make a hell of a partnership
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Always advocated Petti but unfortunately can't see it happening.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:57 pm Just a thought but with a Jaguares yard sale seemingly happening maybe Petti could be available, he and Lavanini make a hell of a partnership
I believe part of the reason we preferred Alemmano was that he is an Argentinian of Italian heritage and so can get citizenship and avoid the foreign player rule. Happy to be corrected of wrong.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

According to Murphy on last night LTTV, anything that wasn’t already well within the plans before lockdown won’t be an option/considered.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:56 am According to Murphy on last night LTTV, anything that wasn’t already well within the plans before lockdown won’t be an option/considered.
That’s the problem, with the salary cap, everything would have been calculated end of last year with very little leeway for additional signings. Our recruitment was finalised a while ago, just waiting on the announcements.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

based on proposed time scale to the games restart we should not have to wait overly long for announcements now.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:24 am based on proposed time scale to the games restart we should not have to wait overly long for announcements now.
This is Leicester Tigers we are talking about :smt002 :smt003
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:15 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:24 am based on proposed time scale to the games restart we should not have to wait overly long for announcements now.
This is Leicester Tigers we are talking about :smt002 :smt003
Standard contracts end on the 30 June and start on 1st July each season so announcements will be made in the coming three weeks. The season happening outside usual windows makes that more complicated but I can't see contracts being re-written to accommodate. Players already move clubs midseason anyway so there is no issue there.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

No evidence - no info - no behind the scenes chat with either Mike or George - just my belief that this week will be POPCORN WEEK!!!!!
Other clubs are beginning to announce their squads for next season, players will be returning to Oval Park next week I believe, therefore I expect GM/club to announce our new players this week - I may be totally wrong - just IMHO
Hehehehehehehehe
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Hope your right but suspect that this will be delayed due to pending redundancy discussions.
A2O
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Something was said, I think by Andrea, which lead me to believe that the decision over redundancies had been made and that the staff involved now know, just not been made public. Can't remember exactly what was said, so please don't ask, but that was my impression either from LTTV or the press which may just be press speculation.
Hehehehehehehehe
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I believe Andrea and Peter Tom mentioned that there would be some job losses and they are looking at all areas within the club and consultations are ongoing.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk