LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD Part 2

Post by JP14 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:30 pm Hamilton is leaving Bristol, might be a good return as he’s never kicked on elsewhere and can cover 6,7,8. Wouldn’t be demanding a massive wage. Seems Liam Gill is going Japan.
Shame he’s left and has been unable to find a stable club since leaving us I thought he was quite rated at Bristol, never mind.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

JP14 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:35 pm
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:30 pm Hamilton is leaving Bristol, might be a good return as he’s never kicked on elsewhere and can cover 6,7,8. Wouldn’t be demanding a massive wage. Seems Liam Gill is going Japan.
Shame he’s left and has been unable to find a stable club since leaving us I thought he was quite rated at Bristol, never mind.
Financially, and in terms of ability I personally believe that we could never really justify his re-signing.An awful lot of players are going to struggle to find a home and contract right now.For the games livelihood we really do need to get back to playing .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Agreed.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:27 am
Financially, and in terms of ability I personally believe that we could never really justify his re-signing.An awful lot of players are going to struggle to find a home and contract right now.For the games livelihood we really do need to get back to playing .
I liked Hamilton as a player, he always put a shift in, it was a shame he left when he did, but not really a player for now.
Hopefully the long term uncertainty over wages & squad sizes will focus the minds of younger players re education & their futures.
I would suggest the Championship will be full of loan players when that restarts.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:32 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:27 am

I liked Hamilton as a player, he always put a shift in, it was a shame he left when he did, but not really a player for now.
Hopefully the long term uncertainty over wages & squad sizes will focus the minds of younger players re education & their futures.
I would suggest the Championship will be full of loan players when that restarts.
Agreed. Fell into the category of "a bit small" for a back row forward at the highest level - where have we heard that before?!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Could it be popcorn Friday?! The clubs have announced that Will Spencer is moving on. I wonder if today is the day our new arrivals are announced!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Spencer was announced as moving on like a month ago with the other leavers.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Nah it won’t be Popcorn Friday, “a replacement of quality is in inbound...” though for Spencer. Even if the club were going to announce the signings this week, it’s not currently the right atmosphere at the moment with everything that is going on, hence why Bath’s announcement of Spencer was discreet compared to other signing announcements that clubs like to go for these days.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:23 am Nah it won’t be Popcorn Friday, “a replacement of quality is in inbound...” though for Spencer. Even if the club were going to announce the signings this week, it’s not currently the right atmosphere at the moment with everything that is going on, hence why Bath’s announcement of Spencer was discreet compared to other signing announcements that clubs like to go for these days.
Bath announced 3 today along with Will, Ben Spencer and Juan Schoeman.
I’m reading Ben Spencer on a 3 year deal not a loan.

Tigers will announce any signings between now and June 30th. Who knows why the delay but I’m sure they have their reasons
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Mark62 post_id=743155 time=1591346686 user_id=11593]
[quote=JP14 post_id=743154 time=1591345383 user_id=12219]
Nah it won’t be Popcorn Friday, “a replacement of quality is in inbound...” though for Spencer. Even if the club were going to announce the signings this week, it’s not currently the right atmosphere at the moment with everything that is going on, hence why Bath’s announcement of Spencer was discreet compared to other signing announcements that clubs like to go for these days.
[/quote]

Bath announced 3 today along with Will, Ben Spencer and Juan Schoeman.
I’m reading Ben Spencer on a 3 year deal not a loan.

Tigers will announce any signings between now and June 30th. Who knows why the delay but I’m sure they have their reasons
[/quote]

Maybe to coincide with the launch of the new kit?
Rutlandtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rutlandtiger »

At a time where the organisation is going through a redundancy consultation process and employees may lose their livelihoods then "popcorn" events may not be appropriate.
With the announced cost challenges then all employees including playing staff will come under the spotlight.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

The Jaguares allowing players to discuss other options will also have complicated the contract situations as well. Tigers have been in talks with Julian Montoya for a while about joining for 2021/22 season when his Jags contract expired. Signing him a season earlier to secure him long term would probably mean a back row signing being sacrificed though - Thompson and Kalamafoni out, only Brink in currently.

The upside is that Montoya and Mamukashvili would be a huge leap forward in a position where we have fallen behind just about all the other Premiership clubs.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Rutlandtiger wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:48 pm At a time where the organisation is going through a redundancy consultation process and employees may lose their livelihoods then "popcorn" events may not be appropriate.
With the announced cost challenges then all employees including playing staff will come under the spotlight.
Totally agree a sense of compassion is required
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ABClub wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:31 pm The Jaguares allowing players to discuss other options will also have complicated the contract situations as well. Tigers have been in talks with Julian Montoya for a while about joining for 2021/22 season when his Jags contract expired. Signing him a season earlier to secure him long term would probably mean a back row signing being sacrificed though - Thompson and Kalamafoni out, only Brink in currently.

The upside is that Montoya and Mamukashvili would be a huge leap forward in a position where we have fallen behind just about all the other Premiership clubs.
I’m not saying he ever should, but I’m fairly sure I’ve seen Montoya playing on the back row. Maybe when he was the only forward replacement left other than the props.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:47 pm
ABClub wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:31 pm The Jaguares allowing players to discuss other options will also have complicated the contract situations as well. Tigers have been in talks with Julian Montoya for a while about joining for 2021/22 season when his Jags contract expired. Signing him a season earlier to secure him long term would probably mean a back row signing being sacrificed though - Thompson and Kalamafoni out, only Brink in currently.

I’m not saying he ever should, but I’m fairly sure I’ve seen Montoya playing on the back row. Maybe when he was the only forward replacement left other than the props.
It was only January of last year that Ken Owens outplayed our back row (I think it was Williams, Evans and Mapapalangi with only Will having a notable game) from number 8 for Scarlets.

As you say it would be a long way from ideal but given squads will be smaller next season it wouldn't be the end of the world if Montoya or even Jake Kerr played a game at blindside. Rob Webber debuted for Wasps at openside in an injury crisis and won man of the match.

6.Liebenberg, Lewis, Lavin
7.Taufua, Reffell, Gough
8.Brink, Coghlan, Smith

The numbers are there it's 5 of them being recent academy grads that's the worry. I believe that Lewis is ready to start Prem games in a balanced pack with a strong lock pairing in front of him. I'd happily see Tommy Reffell skipper games as Ben White has this season as well. I think he's a terrific player who always makes positive contributions - similar to Will Evans it must be said.