ANOTHER WAVE OF COVID 19?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

ANOTHER WAVE OF COVID 19?

Post by Dangerous4 »

Second Wave of Covid 19 seems more than likely according to senior experts.
If this materialises, what will happen to senior clubs in rugby, and other sports of course. How would it affect our club?
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ANOTHER WAVE OF COVID 19?

Post by loretta »

Second Wave of Covid 19 seems more than likely according to senior experts.

Inevitable, I suspect. With most of the population still capable of catching it (no vaccine, or acquired immunity) and the loosening of behaviour, it's hard to see how numbers won't rise.

If this materialises, what will happen to senior clubs in rugby, and other sports of course. How would it affect our club?

More pain ahead.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Many businesses are not going to survive the first wave and as other have suggested I too anticipate a second. I wonder how professional rugby could survive an extensive period of isolating measures. The world in future may not be as we know it now.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Friends of ours on the west coast of Canada tell us that the Canadian Gov are already planning for the second wave? It will be inevitable given that people will push the boundaries thinking that just once won't matter but that 'once' is all it takes. There won't be access to a vaccine until 2021 if at all? There isn't one for the other coronas that we have been living with for years. Life will not be as we knew it.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

My other half who works in a hospital, has been informed that she and fellow staff must start preparing for a second wave. I assume that this is happening throughout the UK.

it could mean no rugby next season, which would most certainly see the demise of many clubs.
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Let’s hope a second wave doesn’t happen and we can get back to normal life in the not to distant future, would be very sad of the demise of any rugby club, even Saracens who I hope get their act together with respect of their recent activities re the salary cap and return to the premiership as we need a strong league for all us to enjoy.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

If there is a second wave, all countries should be in a better position to deal with it and would not expect it to be as extreme as it is now. Stay safe everyone and lets hope we can get back to Rugby sooner when it is safe to do so.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Its going to happen, it's a question of when not if, the issue is if as a country we are reasonably "open for business" a 2nd lockdown will be even worse for the economy & harder to enforce.

I worry about what we be left of all professional sport, yes it makes supporters feel better, generates money in the local economy, but as a priority for "normal" life it should be way down the list.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

A second wave.

Well.....

My youngest is a TV producer. She was talking with a well-known Doctor a couple of days ago...

"All the medical teams are exhausted. A second wave could see morale plummet and swathes of them off with stress. I hope the idiots flooding to the beaches this weekend bear that in mind!"

He didn't mention rugby as far as I know.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

strawclearer wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 7:20 pm A second wave.

Well.....

My youngest is a TV producer. She was talking with a well-known Doctor a couple of days ago...

"All the medical teams are exhausted. A second wave could see morale plummet and swathes of them off with stress. I hope the idiots flooding to the beaches this weekend bear that in mind!"

He didn't mention rugby as far as I know.
I think we can be reasonably confident that if those flooding the beaches were thinking at all it was only of themselves.
I'm not cynical just experienced
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Acquired immunity may give protection, for those who've had it and survived. In the absence of a vaccine, this may be the best form of protection available but the numbers at any one time being treated must remain within manageable levels. So, a steady trickle or low amplitude repeating wave instead of a big peak, perhaps achieved by a slight loosening of restrictive measures with tightening up if things look like getting out of control. Certainly not a quick fix, finishing only when the majority of the populous have been infected (antibody testing may help with monitoring where we are with this, but it's probably a long way from where we are now) or a vaccine can be deployed. Look familiar?

Rugby, as we know it, may be one of the last sports to come back. The players would need multiple testing with strict controls of all sorts, and I can't imagine crowds of supporters could be tolerated. This is really going to hurt the sport, and some will go under.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Second wave is inevitable but if it’s largely avoidable until a vaccine comes available then it should be manageable.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

A variant quite possible and more than likely in some form.If and when , we should be better prepared.Truth is I guess,time should now be spent (in terms of govt and health administration) in preparation rather than in celebration that we seem to be over the worst of the initial outbreak.To think, we still have not observed the true aftermath in any aspect of society.Frightening...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Even on April 7th at the height of this, less than 30% of hospital beds in London (and far fewer across the country as a whole) were taken up by Covid-19 patients, and that's not including all the extra beds created in nightingale hospitals of which hardly any were ever used.

The NHS is not, and has not been, overrun with this. There are hospitals all around the country that are mostly empty. A friend of mine is a hospital nurse who hasn't seen a single patient of any kind for 4 weeks.

When did we all forget that the media is full of hyperbole and out of context facts? If there are photos of exhausted looking NHS staff, it's because NHS staff are always exhausted. Try working their shift patterns in a broken organisation and see how you feel - it isn't due to Covid-19, it's just how the NHS is.

Yes, there is an awful virus out there and we should be very cautious in how we deal with it. But no, this isn't the apocalypse, we aren't going to run out of beds or ventilators or dried pasta or anything else, and a healthy people aren't going to start dropping like flies if we all start living again.

Rugby shouldn't need to be treated any differently than other sports, and football seems to be doing just fine in Germany. It's hard to see how there could now be time to finish this season, but I can't see why next season shouldn't be played.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:17 am Even on April 7th at the height of this, less than 30% of hospital beds in London (and far fewer across the country as a whole) were taken up by Covid-19 patients, and that's not including all the extra beds created in nightingale hospitals of which hardly any were ever used.

The NHS is not, and has not been, overrun with this. There are hospitals all around the country that are mostly empty. A friend of mine is a hospital nurse who hasn't seen a single patient of any kind for 4 weeks.

When did we all forget that the media is full of hyperbole and out of context facts? If there are photos of exhausted looking NHS staff, it's because NHS staff are always exhausted. Try working their shift patterns in a broken organisation and see how you feel - it isn't due to Covid-19, it's just how the NHS is.

Yes, there is an awful virus out there and we should be very cautious in how we deal with it. But no, this isn't the apocalypse, we aren't going to run out of beds or ventilators or dried pasta or anything else, and a healthy people aren't going to start dropping like flies if we all start living again.

Rugby shouldn't need to be treated any differently than other sports, and football seems to be doing just fine in Germany. It's hard to see how there could now be time to finish this season, but I can't see why next season shouldn't be played.
Sorry but your post if far too well balanced and logical for some on here. We are all doomed and there will never be any rugby played again and the earth will be over-run by infected zombies :smt003
A2O