ANOTHER WAVE OF COVID 19?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: ANOTHER WAVE OF COVID 19?

Post by Dangerous4 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:16 am May well be second wave arriving in South.
I know Stoke Manderville and Wycombe hospitals are preparing for a second wave here in the South, and that senior doctors at both these hospitals (which have seen many related deaths) are expecting, preparing, and worried about a second wave, which they believe be just could be bad as the first, according to the Trust. We are close to the epicentre of Covid 19. Time will tell, as we just don't know.

The big question as far as rugby goes, is when the game will return to "normal", with the crowd filling the stands? Will it ever be the same as it was? There are surely more questions than answers. Only time will tell
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Well as long as we're prepared for it, I predict that will be little pocket outbreaks for a while it's now up to the Government to contain the spread of second outbreaks so that a second upsurge is smaller.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:01 pm Well as long as we're prepared for it, I predict that will be little pocket outbreaks for a while it's now up to the Government to contain the spread of second outbreaks so that a second upsurge is smaller.
Well a number of scientific advisors would seem to think that we aren't prepared for it but that a political decision has been taken that we as a country must accept a certain number of deaths in exchange for some preservation of our economy, wealth and society. Its a tightrope that is being walked and each member of society should be making their decisions based on evidence. What is needed is more and open evidence and an understanding of your individual risk factors.
I'm not cynical just experienced
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The onus has been put on the public to continuing distancing, that is their responsibility, not anyone else's. We're not a nanny state!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

JP14 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:54 am The onus has been put on the public to continuing distancing, that is their responsibility, not anyone else's. We're not a nanny state!
A strange response as that is exactly what I suggested but one based on evidence which may not be as forthcoming from govt as it could be. Try this https://www.ft.com/content/6b4c784e-c25 ... 8ffde71bf0
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:54 am The onus has been put on the public to continuing distancing, that is their responsibility, not anyone else's. We're not a nanny state!
That is true, but it should be as a result of scientific evidence, not political thought.
Most people listen to what their Doctor says in relation to their health not their MP or Secretary of State for Health.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:42 pm
That is true, but it should be as a result of scientific evidence, not political thought.
Most people listen to what their Doctor says in relation to their health not their MP or Secretary of State for Health.
Yes I have my suspicions that some factors were indeed political, but also I think that mental health reasons are another significant factor.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

2 SAGE scientists have disagreed, according to the Guardian there are around 20 members, so if those 18 scientists believe that it's safe then tough, but no the media won't ask their opinion, will they?
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

JP14 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 12:52 pm 2 SAGE scientists have disagreed, according to the Guardian there are around 20 members, so if those 18 scientists believe that it's safe then tough, but no the media won't ask their opinion, will they?
You clearly haven't sat in many meetings. In a meeting of 20 probably 10 will agree with their boss, 8 will keep quiet and 2 will say what they think their boss needs to hear. Those agreeing or keeping quiet do not necessarily agree with their boss but have self preservation as a priority. All I would say is that gathering information from many sources and considering many positions and opinions is the best way to avoid the 'nanny state'. Blindly following a single authority is the best way of encouraging one.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don’t blindly follow single authority I just take issue when people scapegoat the government for everything instead of taking responsibility for their own actions or acknowledging that the culprit is a third-party.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Are these among those who predicted half a million deaths in the UK?

Locking down very early may well have limited the impact of the first wave of the epidemic, but what happens when the world opens up? Will those countries that dodged the impact the first time round still have more susceptible individuals?

If no vaccine program gets rolled out in the near future what happens? Hide forever?

Sweden didn’t lock down and although it has had a higher death toll than the rest of Scandinavia but in the long run will it be any worse for making this call. I think we were going to do the same but Boris changed tack too late and we have endured the worst of both Covid and the cost of lockdown. Look at the figures in 5 years time before passing judgement.

Are our deaths really that high compared to other European countries? We have a historically established method of recording deaths, few other countries have. Ours also means that contributory factors are included and on part 2 other major illness that didn’t directly contribute to death. Count them in and the count is higher. We saw China up its count overnight. Do you trust some of them to tell the truth when their holiday season risks catastrophic economic impact?

In reality we just have to be sensible and work on the hope of a vaccine and that history will show that many of us won’t get Covid and that most who do won’t die of it. All premature deaths are tragic and we have to hope that the the overwhelming majority of those deaths will be in the the vulnerable group who were likely to die over the next few months. It may sound harsh but life has to go on.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The pros/cons of the Swedish model could be argued till the cows come home, personally I would of preferred this model, but it relies on people voluntarily following the guidelines, unfortunately I don't think our society in general would of, I think if you have a society like Sweden has it's more natural.
Lockdown works, look at Germany, the issue here was not helped by muddied messages.
It's a Public Health issue not a political one.

Of course it would help if we were a healthy population.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:36 pm The pros/cons of the Swedish model could be argued till the cows come home, personally I would of preferred this model, but it relies on people voluntarily following the guidelines, unfortunately I don't think our society in general would of, I think if you have a society like Sweden has it's more natural.
Lockdown works, look at Germany, the issue here was not helped by muddied messages.
It's a Public Health issue not a political one.

Of course it would help if we were a healthy population.
There certainly were no pros/cons with Frieda the Swedish model that I befriended when I was just 20yrs.The cows did not come home!! but she was regularly at my home. Oh for a lockdown then, just dream on and hope Tigers kick off again soon. :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!