Cockers' linguistic skills

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Cockers' linguistic skills

Post by Not a jock »

I recall seeing and hearing an interview shortly after Cockers arrived in Toulon to assist Mike Ford. The interviewer asked all the questions in French, Mike Ford looked completely baffled, and Cockers gabbled away in fluent French. I wonder how he's getting on in Edinburgh?

I doubt he's starting to sound like Maggie Smith in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. He won't be learning Gaelic as that's only really spoken in the Highlands and Islands (someone please tell Scot Rail and Homebase). Doric is spoken in the North East around Aberdeen (good luck trying to decipher that). Perhaps he's getting to grips with Scots? - if so, that might help him if he ever moves to Ulster.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Cockers' linguistic skills

Post by JP14 »

Cockers’ French comes from when he played for Montferrand (now Clermont) I believe.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

According to 'The Ruck' these linguistic skills may soon be heard to full effect in Gloucester:
https://www.ruck.co.uk/reports-gallaghe ... cockerill/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:36 am According to 'The Ruck' these linguistic skills may soon be heard to full effect in Gloucester:
Ooh arr! :smt023
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:36 am According to 'The Ruck' these linguistic skills may soon be heard to full effect in Gloucester:
Be interesting to see what Cockers does. Edinburgh have made big strides under him and he's very popular north of the border. If he wants a crack at international rugby then you'd have thought he's putting himself in a great position to succeed Townsend.

Glaws are obviously an ambitious club with a good fan base. They'd provide him with another chance at the Prem title but the RFU are unlikely to welcome him in for the England job he's ruffled too many feathers.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If I was him I don't think I'd be very tempted. Cockers has nothing left to prove in the Premiership and he seems to have a good thing going in Edinburgh. There's nothing particularly exciting about the Glouc job other than the strong fan base and the team there likely needs a whole new rebuild. Again.

I think he would be more likely to move to France when he does eventually leave Scotland.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 am
Be interesting to see what Cockers does. Edinburgh have made big strides under him and he's very popular north of the border. If he wants a crack at international rugby then you'd have thought he's putting himself in a great position to succeed Townsend.

Glaws are obviously an ambitious club with a good fan base. They'd provide him with another chance at the Prem title but the RFU are unlikely to welcome him in for the England job he's ruffled too many feathers.
I think he'd be bonkers unless family very unsettled, which they haven't appeared to be. Given what he's done at Edinburgh, my money would be on him for the national job.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:17 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:45 am

I think he'd be bonkers unless family very unsettled, which they haven't appeared to be. Given what he's done at Edinburgh, my money would be on him for the national job.
He turned down Toulon to go to Edinburgh and has said the family are happy there. I'd be surprised if he moved. I suppose he could commute from Market Harborough if he wanted to, that might be the only benefit.

Definitely odds on favourite to replace Townsend.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Tiglon wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:16 pm If I was him I don't think I'd be very tempted. Cockers has nothing left to prove in the Premiership and he seems to have a good thing going in Edinburgh. There's nothing particularly exciting about the Glouc job other than the strong fan base and the team there likely needs a whole new rebuild. Again.

I think he would be more likely to move to France when he does eventually leave Scotland.
Cockers is a pretty tough character but even he would need to think twice about the sort of initial reaction he would get from the Shed, and Satan help him if he didn’t improve their situation pdq.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Think he would be daft to take the Gloucester job, that team is going to be decimated after Ackermans departure, so a complete rebuild would be required. He seems settled in Edinburgh and there isn’t the spotlight of the premiership week in week out.

If he take the Gloucester job can you imagine the glee on here from a few if they beat Tigers.