Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Simon Cohen leaves with immediate effect

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Two problems for me in this:

1) whilst maybe it was time for Cohen to leave, the last few seasons being unacceptable, It’s bad corporate governance to generally recruit internally for these sort of positions. People are now expecting change, however, as a product of the club, I don’t think we’ll be getting that with Pinchen.

Maybe some practical considerations behind this decision however which could explain this, the new coaching set up won’t have been cheap and hiring externally would have been expensive, especially given the current conditions. Also Pinchen does seem to be well respected in the industry so we’ll see how things pan out.

2) given the past few seasons shouldn’t the chairman still be taking some responsibility? Poor practice to be in post for so long and I know we have some new non-excecs but maybe the elephant in the room is still there. Tweets from Burns imply that players being swapped around and the clubs view on players being readily exchanged assets maybe came from above Cohen? Especially given his legal and agent background, he would have known the implications.

Yes he came across very well in his interview for LTTV, but would you really expect anything different from a seasoned operator. Again, hoping this is a turning point and gives the club some new direction. However, hardly going to be groundbreaking when the chairman is the same and the CEO was previously the COO. Just shuffling the chairs.

At least the new management and coaching structure is more streamlined and hopefully can now bring out the best of the players, which is the main thing and where the previous structure massively failed.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:26 am I don't claim any inside knowledge, and like most on here, can only speculate. However, there are two recent events which one assumes SC, as CEO, had major roles in, and neither of which have gone well to say the least. The failed sale of the Club and the botched imposition of players' salary cuts. Neither of these have done anything for the reputation of the Club (and probably incurred significant financial costs for the non-sale).
It certainly appears that Peter Tom has had to do a lot of work to get the players 'on side' with the cuts, and maybe this was the final straw?
Also, perhaps the recent changes to the Board have seen some of SC's support disappear?
Who knows if we will ever be told?

One things for sure - in the absence of rugby, the Club has given us plenty to muse over during this weird time. Vive la revolution!
I think I agree with you that this was a possibly reason for his departure, particularly the Covid 19 related salary reductions, (assuming Contract negotiation was his role), which did not go at all well with the players. Several apparently took legal advice and, from his recent interview, Peter Tom, said he had to take many phone calls (was he squirming in that chair) whereby he had to explain the poor communication regarding the instigation of this. Was this a factor?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

I’m surprised no one has moaned that we have “yet again, promoted within” and not looked for “outside influence”.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I wouldn't read too much into the immediate effect. Why would you want someone in that role working a 3/6 month notice period when their mind is already on the future and their successor is already in place? Gardening leave or payment in lieu of notice, shake hands, move forwards. Nothing odd about that.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:43 am I wouldn't read too much into the immediate effect. Why would you want someone in that role working a 3/6 month notice period when their mind is already on the future and their successor is already in place? Gardening leave or payment in lieu of notice, shake hands, move forwards. Nothing odd about that.
Too me immediate effect means just that, no gardening leave no nothing, otherwise why not state the fact
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:47 am
Tiglon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:43 am I wouldn't read too much into the immediate effect. Why would you want someone in that role working a 3/6 month notice period when their mind is already on the future and their successor is already in place? Gardening leave or payment in lieu of notice, shake hands, move forwards. Nothing odd about that.
Too me immediate effect means just that, no gardening leave no nothing, otherwise why not state the fact
Payment in lieu of notice would usually be a private arrangement, you wouldn't necessarily publish it. Ending someone's employment (particularly after 15 years) generally requires either agreement on both sides (usually facilitated by a payment) or gross misconduct.

There's also the possibility that his departure was agreed months ago, but only announced now.

Or there was a big falling out, perhaps some scandal and a bit of skullduggery. Also very possible. Maybe he'd had enough, maybe the board had. Maybe the board needed to cut some costs. Maybe this was part of their restructuring masterplan all along.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:31 am
Payment in lieu of notice would usually be a private arrangement, you wouldn't necessarily publish it. Ending someone's employment (particularly after 15 years) generally requires either agreement on both sides (usually facilitated by a payment) or gross misconduct.

There's also the possibility that his departure was agreed months ago, but only announced now.

Or there was a big falling out, perhaps some scandal and a bit of skullduggery. Also very possible. Maybe he'd had enough, maybe the board had. Maybe the board needed to cut some costs. Maybe this was part of their restructuring masterplan all along.
And it’s highly unlikely we will ever know, and as someone else posted, does it really matter.
We humans are just very curious folk
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Mark62 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:36 am
Tiglon wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:31 am

And it’s highly unlikely we will ever know, and as someone else posted, does it really matter.
We humans are just very curious folk
Correct.

I do wonder if Cohen was responsible for all the things he got the blame for and therefore whether his departure is quite the change that some of us hope it will be. Yes, in theory, a CEO is responsible for the entire organisation, but that's only if the board allow him to be and don't interfere. However, it would be odd for him to have stayed in the role for so long if he wasn't being allowed to do his job.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Simon Cohen had some very useful skills to apply to some of the work going on at Tigers, land buying, Hotel, Car Park, Player contracts from a Legal perspective.
Assumptions are made that we do not know are true......all we do know is that Simon has left and been replaced by Andrea Pinchen. Andrea has been with the Club for over 11 years and has progressed and needs to be given the opportunity to apply her skills to the Club.
However Simon has left and with what agreement is something between the Club and Simon. There have been successes and lows during the time at the Club but now is time to move on and show support for all the changes that have been made over the last few months.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:25 pm Facebook announce

‪Leicester Tigers announces the departure of Simon Cohen as Chief Executive and that, with immediate effect, Andrea Pinchen will be the club’s new Chief Executive, having previously been its Chief Operating Officer.‬

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/le ... nouncement
WOW Andrea now CEO I remember the days when she was ticket office manager, well done
God created rugby so footballers have heros too