Simon Cohen leaves with immediate effect

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Simon Cohen leaves with immediate effect

Post by kk20gb30 »

Quite surprised to say the least.Never went with the personal abuse he took along with his family and I guess many are now going to be quite happy.
Wish him all the best , the same goes for Andrea Pinchen , his successor.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Mark62 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:32 pm So according to some on here he has finally got all the ducks in a row and the departs with immediate effect, whereas you’d expect 3 months notice in that position.

Fire no smoke without or words to that effect
You sometimes see CEOs give a year or more notice, and an immediate departure might be cause for concern.

Here I suspect, Cohen probably had planned to go at the “end of the season” and the uncertainty over when and indeed if the season will end has caused this to be brought forward.

Best wishes to him.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

BBC Link and brief Chris Egerton analysis :
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52626387
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

teds wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:51 am
Mark62 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:32 pm So according to some on here he has finally got all the ducks in a row and the departs with immediate effect, whereas you’d expect 3 months notice in that position.

Fire no smoke without or words to that effect
You sometimes see CEOs give a year or more notice, and an immediate departure might be cause for concern.

Here I suspect, Cohen probably had planned to go at the “end of the season” and the uncertainty over when and indeed if the season will end has caused this to be brought forward.

Best wishes to him.
Agree with all you say Teds, it is just the timing of it all that seems a little odd to me, but maybe I’m just a grumpy old cynic.

Anyway best of luck Simon I’m sure there will be many that will need your hard nosed pragmatism when we reach some form of normality
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I don't claim any inside knowledge, and like most on here, can only speculate. However, there are two recent events which one assumes SC, as CEO, had major roles in, and neither of which have gone well to say the least. The failed sale of the Club and the botched imposition of players' salary cuts. Neither of these have done anything for the reputation of the Club (and probably incurred significant financial costs for the non-sale).
It certainly appears that Peter Tom has had to do a lot of work to get the players 'on side' with the cuts, and maybe this was the final straw?
Also, perhaps the recent changes to the Board have seen some of SC's support disappear?
Who knows if we will ever be told?

One things for sure - in the absence of rugby, the Club has given us plenty to muse over during this weird time. Vive la revolution!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:55 am BBC Link and brief Chris Egerton analysis :
Includes the following quotation:

Cohen's departure was "in the context of the challenges presented by Covid-19", said chairman Peter Tom.

Not sure if I completely buy that but perhaps it saves doing too much dirty laundry in public.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Interesting analysis:

“ BBC Radio Leicester's Tigers commentator Chris Egerton

This is potentially the most significant sign of change at Welford Road this summer.

While his period as chief executive preceded the club's last Premiership title in 2013, Cohen's experience in salary cap management and hard-nosed style have been seen as assets within Welford Road.

He has often carried the can for decisions taken higher up and has become a lightning rod for criticism of the Tigers' decline since 2013 - even though he has been at Welford Road since 2005. He even suffered death threats last season.

But, in recent years, a convoluted management structure has developed above coaching level and a hire-them, fire-them culture has developed towards coaches and players.

It's something Leicester - and Cohen - have wanted to move away from and his departure represents the cleanest break of all, as they attempt to climb the table once more.”

I have met SC on a number of occasions and his commitment to the club was total. I think that the sentence above which says that he “carried the can for decisions taken higher up” says it all. He disliked the chop and change of coaches, the Slater/Burns deal, all of which spoke of bad business processes and ethics.

The limp Covid 19 reason for his departure says more about those “higher up” than it does about SC.

Those who blamed him for all the faults might perhaps like to have a rethink, and utter a quiet apology.
Valhalla I am coming!
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Traveller wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:11 pm I guess the axe fell when someone asked him a question, and he (the CEO) replied "I'm not responsible for that.........." just one too many times.
:smt045
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Longshanks wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 11:09 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:55 am BBC Link and brief Chris Egerton analysis :
Includes the following quotation:

Cohen's departure was "in the context of the challenges presented by Covid-19", said chairman Peter Tom.

Not sure if I completely buy that but perhaps it saves doing too much dirty laundry in public.
It does make sense though in the context of the general refresh of the board. If SC was going to move on soon anyway, doing it now to save the club some salary costs in the coming months makes sense.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

The revolving door nature of coaching and management appointments in recent years leading to the downward spiral of the clubs fortunes, can only be tolerated for so long before someone in a senior position has to accept responsibility.
Add to that the rather top heavy nature of that management structure at a time of extreme financial pressure and it is not to long before one of those positions becomes untenable. You cannot keep several high paid senior managers (especially unsuccessful ones) in position whilst asking other staff to take pay cuts.
Therefore whilst I do not think Covid 19 is the reason for his departure, I do believe it is a contributing factor
nasher

Post by nasher »

Not surprised at all. The abysmal performance of the last few years must stop. Necessary changes to the coaching structure have been made but the coaches did not make all the decisions so it is only right that there must be changes at the top whether this is the only change time will tell but the abject performances must stop else we will be playing the third division north.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Good article from Charlie Morgan in the Torygraph:

"Both McGinity and Murphy will hope that things finally settle under Borthwick with the Tigers’ youth system now realigned. If they do, and good times gradually return, Cohen might just be due more credit."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think Cohen leaves with more on the Credit than debit side.
Would agree we seemed to have 3 people 2 chairs & he lost out, it's the immediate departure that is the slightly odd part.

It is of course time for someone to be seen to be carrying the can for our near past performance who isn't in playing kit.

Peter Tom was only going to be the one if the club had been sold.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

nasher wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 pm Not surprised at all. The abysmal performance of the last few years must stop. Necessary changes to the coaching structure have been made but the coaches did not make all the decisions so it is only right that there must be changes at the top whether this is the only change time will tell but the abject performances must stop else we will be playing the third division north.
Third Division Midlands not North surely? Not that I agree with you though.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 pm
nasher wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 pm Not surprised at all. The abysmal performance of the last few years must stop. Necessary changes to the coaching structure have been made but the coaches did not make all the decisions so it is only right that there must be changes at the top whether this is the only change time will tell but the abject performances must stop else we will be playing the third division north.
Third Division Midlands not North surely? Not that I agree with you though.
But isn’t the third division Midlands then sub divided into north and south or is it east and west