Julian White - RugbyPass

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Julian White - RugbyPass

Post by TigerMac3 »

Not sure if it’s alreay been posted, but a really good interview on RugbyPass with Whitey. One of, if not my favourite Tigers players...

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/youre-no ... lian-white

Don’t make ‘em like that anymore!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Julian White - RugbyPass

Post by Scott1 »

I remember Murphys send off game,it was uncontested scrums. He was in a mood all game :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Great player and a good read.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Good article, best for the links to Julian's greatest hits...

Shame you dont get to see Castro monster glassjaw in the next scrum.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Great player and great Tiger as was Castro.

What often strikes me as being a little odd is that despite winning 98 test caps for England and the Lions, as well as being a one club player, Dan Cole is ranked below these 2 by the majority of fans, and by some lower than Garforth.

Maybe if he had punched a few more people, or had wild hair, he would be more popular
CharlieTiger

Post by CharlieTiger »

A good read. Thanks for posting.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:36 pm Great player and great Tiger as was Castro.

What often strikes me as being a little odd is that despite winning 98 test caps for England and the Lions, as well as being a one club player, Dan Cole is ranked below these 2 by the majority of fans, and by some lower than Garforth.

Maybe if he had punched a few more people, or had wild hair, he would be more popular
Garforth to White to Castro to Cole we have consistently excellent holders of the C Shirt in the professional era.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:23 am
Mark62 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:36 pm Great player and great Tiger as was Castro.

Garforth to White to Castro to Cole we have consistently excellent holders of the C Shirt in the professional era.
Hopefully we'll see Cole to Heyes as Big Joe comes through.

Cole I think gets overlooked because his highlight reel isn't quite as watchable as White which is full old school fist fights or Castro's where he scored a lot of tries for a prop at the time. Dan on the other hand is a work horse, brilliant scrummager and comes up with great turnovers (and when he doesn't turn it over he slows it down). That's not quite as glamorous, an important part of Tigers and England in modern times though.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Garforth to White to Castro to Cole we have consistently excellent holders of the C Shirt in the professional era
Maybe because they were more emotional than Coley. Castro is one of my all time favourite players :smt003
A2O
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:20 am

Garforth to White to Castro to Cole we have consistently excellent holders of the C Shirt in the professional era
Maybe because they were more emotional than Coley. Castro is one of my all time favourite players :smt003
And rightly so that image of him roaring like a bear at Thomond Park, when I think he was playing loose head, still lives in the memory
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Mark62 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 am
ay2oh wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:20 am

And rightly so that image of him roaring like a bear at Thomond Park, when I think he was playing loose head, still lives in the memory
Was that when Paul O’Connell decided to take a scrum in front of our posts instead of a penalty and Tigers demolished their scrum :smt003
A2O
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Old School legend.If you could only bottle the character , desire and commitment....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Julian had just about everything that we loved about Tigers.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think we loved White, in part at least, for the same reasons we love Genge. He acts like a human being, not a PR puppet.

Great interview.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Julian the ladies favourite! We were in the old Undercroft Bar at Sandy Park, the only Tigers player not in the Members was Jules. There formed a queue of mature women to have their photos taken with him, including Mrs G his greatest fan. He was somewhat bemused by the attention.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.