Post by JP14 »

And that's how it should be.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Rob Taylor joins as Assistant Coach

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 11:48 am Last night's LTTV showed that decisions were big conference calls with Borthwick, Smurf, Glynn, MGinity, Cohen and Academy input, Smurf and SB made the final decisions.
As I understand and it and I’m sure I heard it being said, everyone has an input but Murphy as DOR, has the final say.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

strawclearer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:03 pm
wellstiger wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am Whether it is Paddy Howard or Glynn, it is a welcome addition to the ranks.
Credit across the board though for some inspired signings in the coaching set up.

Can't help but think Stevie B has had some input.
You don't just say hello Mr Borthwick - welcome here's what you've got to work with. Or do you? :smt038
It may not be a universally popular thing to say but - Simon Cohen is the chief architect of our current management and coaching set-up. He's been in regular contact with Steve Borthwick for a considerable period of time and, together with our DoR, has (at last) put the right people in the right jobs.

He's been criticized for many things in the past which were, quite simply, not down to him. I'd be the first to say he hasn't stamped his authority on the Board as strongly as he should have over the last few awkward years but I think he's learned that lesson - as, I hope, have the Board!

Wherever you look in the organisation now, it has Simon Cohen's stamp on it - and, as CEO, that's how it should be. When it works, he'll be due a round of applause. On the outside chance that it doesn't, I suspect he'll be the first to call time on his tenure!
I'd be very willing to give the CEO a round of applause because what is happening now looks light years away from the embarrassing fiasco of the last six / seven years. However it is an uncomfortable truth that Simon Cohen has been CEO for that same period of time, accepted the salary, whilst mastering the art of being responsible for nothing. He is the only CEO I have ever know who takes pride in not being responsible for the business. The best CEO's are all over the businesses they are supposed to be leading

So the deal, no not even a deal. I'll give everything without expecting anything in return. Because Simon Cohen is CEO I will congratulate him for the appointment of the best coaching team Tigers have had in the last decade or more, the improvements in recruitment etc.

I will wait to hear Simon Cohen CEO - The Chief Executive Officer - take just some responsibility for the fiasco of the last seven years. But I won't hold my breath.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Traveller wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:32 pm
wellstiger wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am Whether it is Paddy Howard or Glynn, it is a welcome addition to the ranks.
Credit across the board though for some inspired signings in the coaching set up.

You don't just say hello Mr Borthwick - welcome here's what you've got to work with. Or do you? :smt038
It may not be a universally popular thing to say but - Simon Cohen is the chief architect of our current management and coaching set-up. He's been in regular contact with Steve Borthwick for a considerable period of time and, together with our DoR, has (at last) put the right people in the right jobs.

He's been criticized for many things in the past which were, quite simply, not down to him. I'd be the first to say he hasn't stamped his authority on the Board as strongly as he should have over the last few awkward years but I think he's learned that lesson - as, I hope, have the Board!

Wherever you look in the organisation now, it has Simon Cohen's stamp on it - and, as CEO, that's how it should be. When it works, he'll be due a round of applause. On the outside chance that it doesn't, I suspect he'll be the first to call time on his tenure!
I'd be very willing to give the CEO a round of applause because what is happening now looks light years away from the embarrassing fiasco of the last six / seven years. However it is an uncomfortable truth that Simon Cohen has been CEO for that same period of time, accepted the salary, whilst mastering the art of being responsible for nothing. He is the only CEO I have ever know who takes pride in not being responsible for the business. The best CEO's are all over the businesses they are supposed to be leading

So the deal, no not even a deal. I'll give everything without expecting anything in return. Because Simon Cohen is CEO I will congratulate him for the appointment of the best coaching team Tigers have had in the last decade or more, the improvements in recruitment etc.

I will wait to hear Simon Cohen CEO - The Chief Executive Officer - take just some responsibility for the fiasco of the last seven years. But I won't hold my breath.
👏👏👏👏
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Echo Traveller
Let's be real is it coincidence that things started to change since Howard came in and reportedly wrote a list of things that he thought needed to change?
Don't get me wrong well done the board for doing their jobs.

But as said Simon Cohen has had 8 years to put his stamp on things.
Just because we have finally seemed to have gotten out act together doesn't mean that we should forget it's taken us to hit rock bottom to fix it.

Now do I think he should be solely responsible? No.
But it's a hard chew to congratulate the group of people that lead us to 11th place twice without seeing the results to come.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

From my point of view, it is what is and well done for the board for seemingly getting their act together. Cohen as CEO does get a lot of flack, some of it is unjustified but I agree with Traveller that he at least could have accepted some responsibility. I have said this before and will say it again, the board as a collective should have implemented these kind of changes after being thrashed 44-0 by Glasgow in 2017, not after finishing 11th and nearly being relegated. In terms of results this season, away we haven't been good enough but I don't think its fair really to judge this season much, especially if it's unable to be completed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

A good clear out in terms of coaching has been a long time coming and at last seems to be happening.

There has also been a turnover of players and I suspect more to come over the next year as more tough calls will have to be made as the new coaching team bring in their choices and the impact of the current financial situation impacts on Tigers (and other clubs for that matter)

Can we have Itoje on loan please?
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

mol2 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:25 am Can we have Itoje on loan please?
....around 8 years should do it :smt002
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Mr Cohen has never ever struck me as being the chief architect of anything, the fact that all these major changes have happened post the Pat Howard Report is no coincidence and certainly cannot be solely down to him.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity