Rob Taylor joins as Assistant Coach

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Rob Taylor joins as Assistant Coach

Post by TA30 »

A bit more information on Taylor's appointment and the link between the two clubs:

https://www.sydneyunirugby.com.au/artic ... ter-tigers

Really like the thinking behind this appointment, as others have said it seems a part of his selection was due to his ability to coach across age grades.

Am I right in thinking Ged Glynn was key in setting up the link with Sydney Uni under his pathway remit? If so perhaps he should be credited with recommending Rob too?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

This signifies that the club want to play the same rugby across all levels, which is what really should have been happening anyway but I’m glad that the board seemed to have turned a corner.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:24 pm Only just recalled this, but didn’t Whitcombe and Eveleigh play for Sydney Uni last summer.
Yes they did
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Ben Betts also went the year before
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 1:38 pmFirst time they’ve not all been ex-Tigers players or friends of the head coach...... this time we’ve actually gone out and recruited properly in the coaching department.
Spot on :smt023 I can't remember who the ex Tiger was (Dusty?) who on a podcast bemoaned how Tigers kept on recruiting key roles from within when other clubs went to market and interviewed the best, then decided. Healey said the same sort of thing that Tigers shouldn't just take what's available, but target who they really want and make an offer good enough to get them.
Hopefully we've seen the end of ex players automatically getting the job and recruit a fit for purpose coaching set up from the open market, which may/may not include ex players.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Whether it is Paddy Howard or Glynn, it is a welcome addition to the ranks.
Credit across the board though for some inspired signings in the coaching set up.

Can't help but think Stevie B has had some input.
You don't just say hello Mr Borthwick - welcome here's what you've got to work with. Or do you? :smt038
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

wellstiger wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am Whether it is Paddy Howard or Glynn, it is a welcome addition to the ranks.
Credit across the board though for some inspired signings in the coaching set up.

You don't just say hello Mr Borthwick - welcome here's what you've got to work with. Or do you? :smt038
I think it has been said elsewhere that Steve Borthwick has certainly had input into the future look of the coaching and playing staff.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Interesting times ahead? New coaching group, youngsters to be given a chance!! Whatever next?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

wellstiger wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 11:02 am Whether it is Paddy Howard or Glynn, it is a welcome addition to the ranks.

...when Arsene Wenger was in Japan completing his contract before taking up his position as manager of Arsenal, he was instrumental in putting things in place prior to his arrival.
The situation with the appointment of Borthwick seems to mirror this as well as a noticeable upturn in the performance of the Tigers. Arsenals' philosophy and culture changed drastically and led to years of success, we have an interesting time coming up.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

It may not be a universally popular thing to say but - Simon Cohen is the chief architect of our current management and coaching set-up. He's been in regular contact with Steve Borthwick for a considerable period of time and, together with our DoR, has (at last) put the right people in the right jobs.

He's been criticized for many things in the past which were, quite simply, not down to him. I'd be the first to say he hasn't stamped his authority on the Board as strongly as he should have over the last few awkward years but I think he's learned that lesson - as, I hope, have the Board!

Wherever you look in the organisation now, it has Simon Cohen's stamp on it - and, as CEO, that's how it should be. When it works, he'll be due a round of applause. On the outside chance that it doesn't, I suspect he'll be the first to call time on his tenure!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Great post Strawclearer!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

strawclearer wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:03 pm
It may not be a universally popular thing to say but - Simon Cohen is the chief architect of our current management and coaching set-up. He's been in regular contact with Steve Borthwick for a considerable period of time and, together with our DoR, has (at last) put the right people in the right jobs.

He's been criticized for many things in the past which were, quite simply, not down to him. I'd be the first to say he hasn't stamped his authority on the Board as strongly as he should have over the last few awkward years but I think he's learned that lesson - as, I hope, have the Board!

Wherever you look in the organisation now, it has Simon Cohen's stamp on it - and, as CEO, that's how it should be. When it works, he'll be due a round of applause. On the outside chance that it doesn't, I suspect he'll be the first to call time on his tenure!
I've been called a Doom Monger and I've been called a Happy Clapper and I'll willingly admit to swinging between the two based on how I've seen things. Right now I'm in camp Happy Clapper but i have to cut the sweetness of this with the following tarte observation:

Isn't it amazing how the BoD suddenly developed the ability and the will to put in a proper, thought out ahead of time, coaching set up just as soon as they realised they weren't able to sell the club for the price they wanted.

That being said if they (the BoD) properly support this new organisation and we see the signs of that on field and off then forgiveness will be forthcoming from most if not all I would expect. Should we make it through to those verdant sunlit uplands it would probably do the long term future of the club well for both sides to show the hatchet buried (maybe we can swipe a plastic one to bury under the in goal area at the clubhouse end the next time Exeter come to play...)
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I agree mostly Crofty but would argue the 18/19 season on-field performance was the catalyst for change as it resulted in Paddy Howard’s review which then led to the attempted sell. Yes we haven’t been great this season but we were unlucky because of the World Cup and then coronavirus. Had this season taken place as it should have without the pandemic I have faith that we wouldn’t have finished 11th but in the ranges of 7th/8th.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

I can see where that optimism comes from JP, certainly the season where it was paused (not offically abandoned yet so refuse to jinx it) was poised, we weren't as far away from the main pack as it sometimes felt and we had been unlucky with $arries giving away points to those around us on weekends where we go unexpected wins ourselves. If the season kicks back off again it's not really going to be the same season so I guess we'll never truly know what would have been, I just can't shake the feeling that at the end of the season our survival was likely to be courtesy of financial skulduggery by others.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Last night's LTTV showed that decisions were big conference calls with Borthwick, Smurf, Glynn, MGinity, Cohen and Academy input, Smurf and SB made the final decisions.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.