How Many Premiership Clubs Can Survive This?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

How Many Premiership Clubs Can Survive This?

Post by TomWeston »

Including Tigers!!

“ Rugby Union is facing a devastating financial blow after medical guidelines released by the sport's governing body stated matches should be played behind closed doors until a vaccine exists for Covid-19.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... available/
Tigerbeat

Re: How Many Premiership Clubs Can Survive This?

Post by Tigerbeat »

Cant see much without a subscription.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

I can't think of an English club facing a bigger loss of revenue from this than Tigers. I think it's still right that Welford Road sees the greatest attendance numbers week on week, so excluding the days when clubs hire Wembley or Twickenham or games at neutral venues, Tigers must have the most to lose. That said, it's a massive advantage to own your ground and/or not be paying rent during this period.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Longshanks wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:04 am I can't think of an English club facing a bigger loss of revenue from this than Tigers. I think it's still right that Welford Road sees the greatest attendance numbers week on week, so excluding the days when clubs hire Wembley or Twickenham or games at neutral venues, Tigers must have the most to lose. That said, it's a massive advantage to own your ground and/or not be paying rent during this period.
I’m sure that Peter Tom said that we haven’t spent our CVC money yet as well
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Would we be insured against losses too? Or is that wishful thinking?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 am Would we be insured against losses too? Or is that wishful thinking?
Would be amazed if we are covered by insurance.
The game has proven to have foundations of sand , but the Premiership will I believe will stay as is with a period of much (financial) consolidation and collective club belt tightening.The clamor to resume is as much down to finance - in all sports- as it is to see regular season closure.
On a side issue , believe the only event with enough foresight to put a policy in place and are covered was Wimbledon (All England Lawn Tennis Club).
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I personally believe this season should not be played out then try to start the new season in mid September. The papers at the moment are chasing stories and once things calm down the virus will be put into perspective. It is tragic that so many deaths have resulted from it but there will be even greater tragedies if all the people with such things as cancer don’t get the treatment they need. My wife,after being suddenly diagnosed through the bowel screening system with Stage 3 bowel cancer and was fast tracked so was operated on in October.
Thankfully the operation and follow up was mostly successful due to the great work of the NHS but her last two highly important check ups have been understandably cancelled.
There are many people and children who have had surgery and important follow up treatment cancelled. They need to get sorted as soon as possible. Lockdown, as we know, wars about making sure the excellent NHS had the means to fight the virus. What a great job they’ve done.
Life, though is not going back to the way we remember it, but it will have to get back to some form of normality.
Therefore there will be a way we can get to live games if those going are sensible enough to abide by the safety rules put in place: eg for a good while the bars would probably have to stay shut but with the right protection for staff, outside catering facilities could operate. Most of our supermarkets have shown how things can be done.
It won’t be easy but clubs will have plenty of time to get plans in place.
I’m sure most of us will see huge improvements in the way we go about our lives.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Ian , some of the wider points you make are spot on.
The cynic in me however somehow sees that once lockdown ends and a degree of normality returns there will be those who have learnt nothing.Every aspect of our society and the economy as a whole face massive and opposing pressures, with survival and a return to normality paramount in peoples hearts and minds.The trouble is ,the world that we have built and inhabit is built on finance and greed together with rather a large dose of excess.Once the shackles come off , how long people remember what happened , what could have have happened and what it was really like is anyone's guess.My guess ? Unfortunately , not long as in the world the we have created money tends to talk louder than anything or anyone else.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm pretty confident the club is in a alright position given that we have made all the announcement about leavers.
For my POV it seems like the club are confident that everyone else is staying and we won't need to make anymore mid contract offloads.

I don't really believe the argument that Tigers have the most to lose either, I would give that title to Wasps.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am I'm pretty confident the club is in a alright position given that we have made all the announcement about leavers.
For my POV it seems like the club are confident that everyone else is staying and we won't need to make anymore mid contract offloads.

I don't really believe the argument that Tigers have the most to lose either, I would give that title to Wasps.
Mr Tom said we used our CVC money to clear club debt and the carpark and hotel schemes don't cost us anything. So we should be in an ok position. If our cash reserves run down we could get a small loan to keep us going and we will be using the furlough system from the government to help cover our wages. We can survive, not for a long time but we will not be panicking looking at the briefing each day.

I agree Wasps look precarious, they looked to be struggling financially before the pandemic. Falcons as well, they have a wealthy backer but he hasn't been allowing them to operate with large budgets, quite the opposite.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I thought that Peter Tom said that we still had the cvc money
A2O
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:48 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 am Would we be insured against losses too? Or is that wishful thinking?
Would be amazed if we are covered by insurance.
The game has proven to have foundations of sand , but the Premiership will I believe will stay as is with a period of much (financial) consolidation and collective club belt tightening.The clamor to resume is as much down to finance - in all sports- as it is to see regular season closure.
On a side issue , believe the only event with enough foresight to put a policy in place and are covered was Wimbledon (All England Lawn Tennis Club).
I am not sure about the ‘rugby built on grains of sand’ argument. It is no more ‘built on sand than’ than every other highly leveraged retail chain, cruise company, airline, property portfolio, bed and breakfast, hotel chain, car manufacturer, fast food outlet, DPL driver with a loan having to make monthly leasing payments on his white van, art gallery, animal charity, sport (Formula 1, golf, tennis, football). It is a very young professional sport, it faces an existential threat and will have to adapt.

So far as Leicester Tigers is concerned, I’ve been very critical of the club recently, but also claim to be a lifelong supporter. I do believe the club is now heading in the right direction and so for me at least, now is the time to support the new regime in practical ways. With that in mind if the Club can come up with innovative ways in which to attract additional income – the sale of a virtual season ticket – perhaps. I would put my money where my mouth is. They need to be innovative, but many of us have been dismissive of ‘sugar daddy’ clubs. Now is the time to prove that we are different. It’s up to the club to innovate, but I’d want to be actively supportive.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Traveller wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:17 am ...if the Club can come up with innovative ways in which to attract additional income – the sale of a virtual season ticket – perhaps. I would put my money where my mouth is. They need to be innovative, but many of us have been dismissive of ‘sugar daddy’ clubs. Now is the time to prove that we are different. It’s up to the club to innovate, but I’d want to be actively supportive.
I totally agree. Clubs should be exploring alternative revenue streams. We have no idea how long this virus will continue to propagate.

Some suggestions would be “televising” any matches not covered by current broadcasting
contracts. They don’t have to be broadcast live. Commentary could be provided at no cost by allowing competitive commentary. Viewers subscribe to the commentator they think adds most value.

Follow tigers players on loan to other clubs. Offer Virtual coaching/Fitness training to junior teams.

For premiership matches explore the ability for home viewers to have a choice between different camera views. Give the viewer what is already available to the TMO.

I also wonder about offering virtual boxes. Say for £XX you can rent a box for up to four people to watch the match. You can talk to the people in your box almost as if you were sitting next to them. You share one screen so you are all looking at the same screen. You can choose between six camera positions around the pitch, move down to the far end when the action moves away, then back to the middle etc. This technology is already there.

Would people pay the extra over BT sport? I think some might. Need to add some additional content, show the warm ups, with some info around injuries, niggles etc, and some post match commentary, then I guess it might come down to the pricing structure.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 am
RagingBull wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am I'm pretty confident the club is in a alright position given that we have made all the announcement about leavers.

Mr Tom said we used our CVC money to clear club debt and the carpark and hotel schemes don't cost us anything. So we should be in an ok position. If our cash reserves run down we could get a small loan to keep us going and we will be using the furlough system from the government to help cover our wages. We can survive, not for a long time but we will not be panicking looking at the briefing each day.

I agree Wasps look precarious, they looked to be struggling financially before the pandemic. Falcons as well, they have a wealthy backer but he hasn't been allowing them to operate with large budgets, quite the opposite.
I’m fairly sure he said that was what a lot of other clubs had had to do as investors were wanting a return, and that we still had our cvc cash. Could be wrong though
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:06 am Ian , some of the wider points you make are spot on.
The cynic in me however somehow sees that once lockdown ends and a degree of normality returns there will be those who have learnt nothing.Every aspect of our society and the economy as a whole face massive and opposing pressures, with survival and a return to normality paramount in peoples hearts and minds.The trouble is ,the world that we have built and inhabit is built on finance and greed together with rather a large dose of excess.Once the shackles come off , how long people remember what happened , what could have have happened and what it was really like is anyone's guess.My guess ? Unfortunately , not long as in the world the we have created money tends to talk louder than anything or anyone else.
I do agree with what you say. However public image and bad publicity may also play a part especially for larger companies who will want to be viewed as responsible employers.
The downside of this is that in order to comply with the new world order, changes will have to be made. Over the past 12 months I have worked for 2 huge companies in Leicester, one energy, one fashion. Both of these companies operate hot desk policies within some of their offices, to allow for shift patterns etc.
I don’t see how this will be allowed to continue which is going to possibly mean less working flexibility and possibly loss of jobs.
I suppose we will see in the coming months