How Many Premiership Clubs Can Survive This?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: How Many Premiership Clubs Can Survive This?

Post by Longshanks »

Mark62 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:18 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:06 am Ian , some of the wider points you make are spot on.
The cynic in me however somehow sees that once lockdown ends and a degree of normality returns there will be those who have learnt nothing.Every aspect of our society and the economy as a whole face massive and opposing pressures, with survival and a return to normality paramount in peoples hearts and minds.The trouble is ,the world that we have built and inhabit is built on finance and greed together with rather a large dose of excess.Once the shackles come off , how long people remember what happened , what could have have happened and what it was really like is anyone's guess.My guess ? Unfortunately , not long as in the world the we have created money tends to talk louder than anything or anyone else.
I do agree with what you say. However public image and bad publicity may also play a part especially for larger companies who will want to be viewed as responsible employers.
The downside of this is that in order to comply with the new world order, changes will have to be made. Over the past 12 months I have worked for 2 huge companies in Leicester, one energy, one fashion. Both of these companies operate hot desk policies within some of their offices, to allow for shift patterns etc.
I don’t see how this will be allowed to continue which is going to possibly mean less working flexibility and possibly loss of jobs.
I suppose we will see in the coming months
The availability of a vaccine would seem to be crucial - until then fear of re-escalation is going to drive policy towards minimising risk.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Longshanks wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:24 am
Mark62 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:18 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:06 am Ian , some of the wider points you make are spot on.
The cynic in me however somehow sees that once lockdown ends and a degree of normality returns there will be those who have learnt nothing.Every aspect of our society and the economy as a whole face massive and opposing pressures, with survival and a return to normality paramount in peoples hearts and minds.The trouble is ,the world that we have built and inhabit is built on finance and greed together with rather a large dose of excess.Once the shackles come off , how long people remember what happened , what could have have happened and what it was really like is anyone's guess.My guess ? Unfortunately , not long as in the world the we have created money tends to talk louder than anything or anyone else.
I do agree with what you say. However public image and bad publicity may also play a part especially for larger companies who will want to be viewed as responsible employers.
The downside of this is that in order to comply with the new world order, changes will have to be made. Over the past 12 months I have worked for 2 huge companies in Leicester, one energy, one fashion. Both of these companies operate hot desk policies within some of their offices, to allow for shift patterns etc.
I don’t see how this will be allowed to continue which is going to possibly mean less working flexibility and possibly loss of jobs.
I suppose we will see in the coming months
The availability of a vaccine would seem to be crucial - until then fear of re-escalation is going to drive policy towards minimising risk.
Vaccine or the cumulative infection of a sufficient portion of the population.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Crofty wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Provided that immunity from further infection can be demonstrated.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Longshanks wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:58 am
Crofty wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:11 pm

Provided that immunity from further infection can be demonstrated.
If it can't then we won't get a vaccine either and this becomes the new normal...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am I'm pretty confident the club is in a alright position given that we have made all the announcement about leavers.
For my POV it seems like the club are confident that everyone else is staying and we won't need to make anymore mid contract offloads.

I don't really believe the argument that Tigers have the most to lose either, I would give that title to Wasps.

Cannot argue with this post.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:19 am I'm pretty confident the club is in a alright position given that we have made all the announcement about leavers.
For my POV it seems like the club are confident that everyone else is staying and we won't need to make anymore mid contract offloads.

I don't really believe the argument that Tigers have the most to lose either, I would give that title to Wasps.

It's the point made by Chris Rose on Friday's LTTV piece - Tigers take the greatest income of any GP club on matchday (tickets, hospitality, etc) so to that extent we have the most to lose from cancelled home fixtures.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Longshanks wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:21 pm
Dangerous4 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:55 pm

It's the point made by Chris Rose on Friday's LTTV piece - Tigers take the greatest income of any GP club on matchday (tickets, hospitality, etc) so to that extent we have the most to lose from cancelled home fixtures.
It is a fair point but I would also say that this is related to us having a much larger home attendance than most clubs.
18-20,000 people are going to spend more than 5-7,000
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

teds wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:00 am I also wonder about offering virtual boxes. Say for £XX you can rent a box for up to four people to watch the match. You can talk to the people in your box almost as if you were sitting next to them.
I see now there is a beta feature on the bt sport app, to invite people to watch the app with you, a bit like a zoom mtg. Has anyone tried it out?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TomWeston wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:08 pm Including Tigers!!

“ Rugby Union is facing a devastating financial blow after medical guidelines released by the sport's governing body stated matches should be played behind closed doors until a vaccine exists for Covid-19.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... available/
The cynic in me wonders as to whether the scientists advising the government & governing bodies etc that crowds at stadia can't be achieved without a vaccine because they also happen to be board members of the pharmaceutical companies currently trying to develop it.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Who knows for sure.

Sweden, who have taken a less draconian response to Covid, have limited gatherings to less than 50 people so even there the return of crowds is some way off.

Realistically, if there is no vaccine in the next year (or probably less than this), how many people are going to continue to accept the current restrictions?
Professional sport, theatres, cinema music events and festivals, village fete's all gone? Holidays?

If Covid doesn't go the new norm will be a reversion to the old norm as the new norm is unsustainable. Justifiable in the short term to reduce the risk of Intensive care being swamped and to avoid hospitals being closed to the under 65s (This was one of the contingency measures considered by the politicians).
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

mol2 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:24 am Who knows for sure.

Sweden, who have taken a less draconian response to Covid, have limited gatherings to less than 50 people so even there the return of crowds is some way off.

Realistically, if there is no vaccine in the next year (or probably less than this), how many people are going to continue to accept the current restrictions?
Professional sport, theatres, cinema music events and festivals, village fete's all gone? Holidays?

If Covid doesn't go the new norm will be a reversion to the old norm as the new norm is unsustainable. Justifiable in the short term to reduce the risk of Intensive care being swamped and to avoid hospitals being closed to the under 65s (This was one of the contingency measures considered by the politicians).
UK has a population of around 68 million with a population density of 725 people per square mile
Sweden has a population of around 10.5 million and a population density of 59 people per square mile.

That might explain some of the differences so people in the UK will need to remain vigilant unless you are prepared to see more people dying. The country is caught between a rock and a hard face, Lockdown and get rid of the virus and the countries economy will be dead. Lift lockdown completely and the NHS will be overwhelmed and more people will be dying..........a very difficult one to sort..........
Sadly a lot of businesses and jobs will not survive this pandemic.
Everyone stay safe and stick to the guidelines and we will come out the other side sooner and get back to an acceptable way of life.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:51 am
TomWeston wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:08 pm Including Tigers!!

“ Rugby Union is facing a devastating financial blow after medical guidelines released by the sport's governing body stated matches should be played behind closed doors until a vaccine exists for Covid-19.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... available/
The cynic in me wonders as to whether the scientists advising the government & governing bodies etc that crowds at stadia can't be achieved without a vaccine because they also happen to be board members of the pharmaceutical companies currently trying to develop it.
I suspect the scientists advising the government are feeling more than a little angry. The government have only taken the bits of advice that suit them but at every opportunity have said they are "following the science" effectively passing the responsibility. You then aren't going to get scientists saying anything remotely optimistic in the public domain because they know the politicians will twist it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... nment-sage

Details on who the scientists are is listed in that article. Majority are professors at leading universities, experts in their field. Vallance is employed full time by the government.

Any chance of crowds at the rugby has gone with the crowds on the beaches and in the pubs. People no longer seem to observe the social distancing.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Ian Cant wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:31 pm I personally believe this season should not be played out then try to start the new season in mid September. The papers at the moment are chasing stories and once things calm down the virus will be put into perspective. It is tragic that so many deaths have resulted from it but there will be even greater tragedies if all the people with such things as cancer don’t get the treatment they need. My wife,after being suddenly diagnosed through the bowel screening system with Stage 3 bowel cancer and was fast tracked so was operated on in October.
Thankfully the operation and follow up was mostly successful due to the great work of the NHS but her last two highly important check ups have been understandably cancelled.
There are many people and children who have had surgery and important follow up treatment cancelled. They need to get sorted as soon as possible. Lockdown, as we know, wars about making sure the excellent NHS had the means to fight the virus. What a great job they’ve done.
Life, though is not going back to the way we remember it, but it will have to get back to some form of normality.
Therefore there will be a way we can get to live games if those going are sensible enough to abide by the safety rules put in place: eg for a good while the bars would probably have to stay shut but with the right protection for staff, outside catering facilities could operate. Most of our supermarkets have shown how things can be done.
It won’t be easy but clubs will have plenty of time to get plans in place.
I’m sure most of us will see huge improvements in the way we go about our lives.
I totally agree with the above, Ian
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

It's mad that organised events should be penalised and unorganised not.
As was apparent on Friday as I drove past my local pub where there were roughly 200 people getting smashed in an outside area of about 30 x 20 metres, there wasn't much social distancing going on.
Stupid thing is the pub has two car parks either side that were and are always nearly empty, one being about 50 x 20 and the other about 40 x 40.
They were shut for three months and didn't see the opportunity.
Things ain't normal.

I reckon a club like Leicester should begin to identify their social groups amongst supporters, families and friend groups will be the way to diversify and maximise getting fans into the stadium.
Gather information of social groups from the fans, encourage this to be passed to the club to be ready to organise.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

BFG wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:23 am I reckon a club like Leicester should begin to identify their social groups amongst supporters, families and friend groups will be the way to diversify and maximise getting fans into the stadium.
Gather information of social groups from the fans, encourage this to be passed to the club to be ready to organise.
They already have the vast majority of this info - if you're not living at the same address then you're meant to be socially distancing when you go anywhere, including other people's houses. Obviously, they're will be a few exceptions where single people have joined "bubbles" but that shouldn't be a huge number.

The issue will be if the seating is anything like the pilot at Lords - alternate rows being used and 2 seats either side of each group. That's going to be much less than 40% capacity, especially when you factor in the social distancing on the terrace.