LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by johnthegriff »

Am I alone in thinking that Jordan Olowofela showed enough last season to be considered as a first choice winger or even a centre but whenever new signings or options are mentioned nobody seems to raise his name but in my opinion he is quick, has good hands and runs good lines. He needs to be better under the high ball and a few more kilos will not harm his game but experience and maturity will help in those areas, I think he is a fine prospect and anybody keeping him out of the first team will be a fine player indeed.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Jordan is still a young man. Work needed on defence but this season he showed more self belief and he certainly can finish. If he continues to improve he will be a first choice.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

In theory having Nadolo on the other wing will make more room for the other winger if the ball is moved quickly enough.
Nadolo is a 2 man covering job
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The trick with Nadolo is the players running support lines, Taufua used to do it a lot with the Crusaders, your "big" back line players can be as effective without the ball as with it, something we really have never really done with Manu.
If we just use him as a battering ram it will show a very limited game plan.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Olowofela showed enough this season to earn himself another season, but still lots to work on if he wants to be first choice at a club with top 4 ambitions - which hopefully we still are.

If he's going to get away with being the electric winger who is a bit of a liability physically (like Ashton, Wade, Solomona or Varndell) then he needs to start scoring a shed load more tries.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Jordan Olowofela has vast potential.In a more effective and competitive team he will be shown to better effect.Time, patience and (his own) confidence in his latent ability are key factors.True, he has to make good on potential, but without doubt it is there in abundance.Long term ,I have a lot of faith in him.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:57 pm Am I alone in thinking that Jordan Olowofela showed enough last season to be considered as a first choice winger
Last season 3 tries in 12 appearances doesn't set the world alight, hopefully Tigers objectives are significantly higher than that for this season. However, long term investment in Olowofela is worth it!
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

wasn't he also playing injured /coming back from a shoulder injury?
cheers
Rich
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

johnthegriff wrote: ↑Sun May 24, 2020 5:57 pm

Am I alone in thinking that Jordan Olowofela showed enough last season to be considered as a first choice winger

I’m afraid so, IMO. Quick, but weak in defence.

Needs a lot of work to be first choice.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Bags of promise, which I'd love him to fulfill with us. Has looked timid in a lot of games, probably not helped by playing in a losing team.

Not first choice (other than by virtue of being one of the few wingers still here) but definitely worth his squad place.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Has massive potential and has been unlucky, having two great finishes chalked off by dodgy TMO decisions. However, he does have to up his game, both defensively and physically to nail down a shirt. He scored 6 tries in 10 Eng U20 appearances and has been in the EPS so has the ability.

However with Browning coming through from the academy, and Potter joining by the sounds of it, plenty of competition. Either he’ll make the grade or he won’t, but want to see him given the chance in a winning side.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Here is the try scoring stats from Leicester's wingers for this season so far:
  • Aspland-Robinson: 0 tries in 2 appearances
  • Holmes: 8 tries in 15 appearances (0.53 tries a game on average)
  • Hughes: 0 tries in 4 appearences
  • May: 6 tries in 5 appearances (1.2 tries a game on average)
  • Olowofela: 3 tries in 12 appearances (0.25 tries a game on average)
  • Thompstone: 2 tries in 12 appearances (0.17 tries a game on average)
As you can see, the try-scoring rate of all our wingers last season was poor or below-par with only Jonny May averaging more than one try a game in just six appearances. I would argue that wasn't down to individual ability but poor gameplan & execution.

Also Olowofela was robbed against Worcester but that's another argument for another day.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Was it BFG that mentioned Olowofela should look to be moved to 13?
I think there is certainly merit to that discussion, especially if you have Nadolo on the wing.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

One of his best performances was at 13 (versus Bath in the then Anglo-Welsh Cup).
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

JP14 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:40 am Here is the try scoring stats from Leicester's wingers for this season so far:
  • Aspland-Robinson: 0 tries in 2 appearances
  • Holmes: 8 tries in 15 appearances (0.53 tries a game on average)
  • Hughes: 0 tries in 4 appearences
  • May: 6 tries in 5 appearances (1.2 tries a game on average)
  • Olowofela: 3 tries in 12 appearances (0.25 tries a game on average)
  • Thompstone: 2 tries in 12 appearances (0.17 tries a game on average)
As you can see, the try-scoring rate of all our wingers last season was poor or below-par with only Jonny May averaging more than one try a game in just six appearances. I would argue that wasn't down to individual ability but poor gameplan & execution.

Also Olowofela was robbed against Worcester but that's another argument for another day.
I would argue that those try scoring ratios are all very much down to individual ability.

Johnny May - excellent winger, excellent try/game ratio
Jonah Holmes - good winger, good try/game ratio
Thompstone & Hughes - poor players (past their prime and probably not Prem quality any more), poor try/game ratios
Olowofela and Aspland-Robinson - promising players but not first choice Prem quality yet, poor try/game ratios

Our wingers with more individual ability scored more tries. Rubbish tactics or not, May achieved a ridiculously good try scoring record this season and Holmes managed one that was very respectable indeed. Hughes, Thompstone and Olowofela didn't score fewer tries than May and Holmes because of poor tactics or gameplan, they scored fewer tries because they currently have less individual ability.