LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Bunchy »

GM indicated announcements this week - maybe a popcorn Tuesday?
Less is more....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Fearns announced he is leaving Lyon yesterday. :smt017
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:19 pm Fearns announced he is leaving Lyon yesterday. :smt017
Seen Northampton banded around but I don't think there is much substance in it, I'd be over the moon if we could get Fearns, maybe Hanro Leibenburg's future could be in the 2nd row with Fearns slotting into 8, something like 4. Lavanini 5. Leibenburg 6. Brink 7. Taufua 8. Fearns
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Fearns would be some signing, not convinced he will come to us though.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Shame aboult Batley.
Would still surmise a Backrow addition .Personally , still live in hope of Carl Fearns - no nonsense and abrasive ; also , of course, English qualification plays a vital part.
Perhaps too , a switch of roles for Mike Ford ? Very much at home as Defence Coach.
Wish the leavers well.Maybe yet we can give some the send off they deserve.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Happy that Gigena is staying. Hopefully this will be the last large player turnover for a while.

Disappointed that Batley isn't extending his stay but I would hope that is because we are trying to free as much budget for a direct replacement for Spencer.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not surprised that Eveleigh and Lines have been released, wish them well.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

From the departures it is clear we need at least two new wingers and a lock, i think Henry will be a solid understudy for Ford, as for centre I think the four of Manu, Scott, Eastmond and Taute should suffice with back up from Worth and Hardwick, the back row looks solid, adding Fearns would be class, if Brink keeps fit he could be something special.

Good news Blake is leaving, a coaching re shuffle is very much required!!

One of the key moves SB needs to make is change the captain, TY is not the man for the job, Liebenberg for me would be perfect, young but has a captains head, has done the job before with SA under 20, seems intelligent and has leadership qualities.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:42 pm Fearns would be some signing, not convinced he will come to us though.
I think he will come back to England.
i'm not convinced it would be us, but I also not sure it would be Saints given I don't think any back rowers are leaving and they are being linked to Shaun Adendorff who's second in the top try scorers in Pro D2.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I too think he will come to England or at least go somewhere outside of France.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

It’s a fairly significant clearout.
Definitely gives Borthwick (and Murphy) the scope to put their own shape on things.

Cortes, Hills and Lines going, only one player incoming in Rowntree’s promotion, room to add one more there. Admittedly five senior hookers plus an academy graduate (age grade international) does look slightly over staffed.

Locks, Spencer, Batley (admittedly on loan) and Jordan going, two developing options added so far, room for one more quality addition, then opportunities for the development guys.

Kalamafoni, Thompson and Boladau (loan?) from senior squad plus Eveleigh let go from development squad, room to add at least one more senior player after Brink I’d say, then opportunities for development squad, plus academy graduates to backfill them.

Halfbacks look fine. Albeit the addition of Henry without a senior player making way, maybe one of Henry, McPhillips or Hardwick are to be utilised as cover elsewhere, 12 or 15.

Scott coming in for Viljoen effectively, balances the numbers, plus Kelly coming in for Thomas as developing prospect.

Thompstone, May & Holmes out, plus Gilliland and Bungaroo from development squad, only Nadolo coming in, suggests that some real room has been created to reshape the back 3.

1x Depth Prop - maybe.
1x Starter Lock - definitely required.
1x Senior Back Row - should do.
2x Back Three - definitely required.
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm Thompstone, May & Holmes out, plus Gilliland and Bungaroo from development squad, only Nadolo coming in, suggests that some real room has been created to reshape the back 3.
To me, this has Alex Lewington written all over it. He is reportedly "available" and, knowing how Tigers is by reputation a tough club to settle into as a seasoned player, his past experience at Welford Road gives him a real advantage.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Not convinced Fearns would be a great use of cap.
I don't consider him a better bet than what we already have as "starters" maybe if Hendro went into the 2nd row, but not sure he is best used there week in week out.
A seasoned 2nd row would be a better bet for me.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2010/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD

Post by Hot_Charlie »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:35 pm Another large crop of leavers, its good we are seemingly backing Borthwick but we really do need to cut the squad turnover down at some point.
Once you take out the Dev squad (who you’d naturally expect a far higher turnover from), the loanees, Hills and Cortes (who have barely featured), add in the “32+“ age group of Kalamafoni, Thompson and TPN who couldn’t really be seen as the future, I don’t think it’s an unreasonable turnover. With the exception of the wing talent, arguably we’re developing a better - younger - squad.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Longshanks wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:34 pm
FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:09 pm Thompstone, May & Holmes out, plus Gilliland and Bungaroo from development squad, only Nadolo coming in, suggests that some real room has been created to reshape the back 3.
To me, this has Alex Lewington written all over it. He is reportedly "available" and, knowing how Tigers is by reputation a tough club to settle into as a seasoned player, his past experience at Welford Road gives him a real advantage.
Tough club to settle in to? Says who?